Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine advice

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
po54

Engine advice

Post by po54 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:16 pm

Hi all

Thought I'd post here instead of the newbie section for a little more exposure.

If you've seen my thread there you'll know that I'm looking to buy an early 3.0 or 2.5 in the autumn. I've started looking properly to get an idea of prices spec etc. but see a lot of 2.0 and 2.2 cars and wondered if they are just as "robust" as the larger engines ? I'm only planning to do 8-10k pa in it but my budget means the car will probably already be over 100k miles.

Is the power output from the smaller engines to a 2.5 really noticeable - I know it will be to the 3.0

I don't want a war/row about which one is best just researching before I buy. This will be a 3rd car for the odd commute and weekend use, no racing or track time etc..

Thanks
PO54

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Engine advice

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Six cylinder engines in the M54 range that you'll be looking at are a very robust and well proven design. With regular maintenance, very high mileages are easily achievable.

They can suffer with leaking cam cover gaskets, failed VANOS (from about 50k) and noisy belt tensioners, but overall are reliable and refined.

The 2.0 four pot, unfortunately isn't anywhere near as good an engine, both from a power and smoothness point, but also in terms of reliability.

They suffer from the cam cover leaks, VANOS solenoid leaks and failure. The Valvetronic can go wrong, and the exhausts manifolds like to split and crack. Oil leaks can also lead to issues with the emissions system, as the connector block for two of the sensors is stupidly, right under the sump, so a little oil can disrupt the signals.

Just my opinions from having worked on a lot of both types.

Mike

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Engine advice

Post by Ewazix » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:32 pm

The 2.0 is a four cylinder unit that does a good job as it's lighter and makes the car a little more agile than the six pots. The 2.2 is a sweet engine similar power to the 2.0 4 pot. The 2.5 has a 6 pot 193 bhp (like mine) I've owned it over 8 years and have never felt short changed power wise even on runs 3.0L cars. On the road performance differences are minimal. The 3.0 comes as standard with more kit and crucially for some, a 6 speed box (the 2.5 is 5 speed). I do a few thousand miles a year mostly A & B road weekends so the 5 speed is ideal. If you intend to do a lot of M'way miles then the 3.0 might be best, but will be more expensive.

I personally only wanted the charismatic 6 pot and tried a 2.2, 2.5 and 3.0 and would have been happy with any of them, I chose my 2.5se as it was super low-miles/condition with perfect history and a decent spec, also was significantly cheaper than a 3.0 at the time. I'd suggest trying some examples and buy on condition and history of care and maintenance, rather than engine size or miles.

Happy hunting :thumbsup:
Last edited by Ewazix on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Engine advice

Post by Chris_D » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:40 pm

Go for the 6pot 3.0.
I tried the 2.5 and 3.0 but decided the 3.0 was for me due to it having a 6th gear, equipment level and crucially the sound (via the engine resonator tube to the cabin) were the clinchers.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Z4 COUPSTER

Engine advice

Post by Z4 COUPSTER » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:17 pm

Where are you based? I'm.sure some members would take you for a spin in one or all of the derivatives. Personally I'm a sixer all day long, had 4 pots and they don't do it for me at all. Sorry 4 potters.
D
:thumbsup: Z in da Head.
3.0i Z3 sport,sapphire black,3.0i Z4 roadster Sterling grey,auto,Z4 3.0si Coupe Titanium silver,Stubby &B06 Plus some other German beauties!!

srhutch

Engine advice

Post by srhutch » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:27 pm

The 2.2 is the same engine(M54) as the 2.5 and 3.0 engines in the pre facelift,so just as bullet proof.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Engine advice

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:48 pm

As Mike said above, the 4 cylinder ones do seem to suffer more problems than the sixes.

And for me a straight 6 engine is one of the Z4s unique features. :)

As srhutch says the 2.2i, 2.5i and 3.0i are just different sized versions of the same engine, so running costs are pretty much the same whichever you choose!

Only you can decide which one suits you best - ideally see if you can try a couple.

Anyway good luck finding the right one. :thumbsup: And don't forget we like photos! :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

junglist

Engine advice

Post by junglist » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:37 pm

It'd have to be a 3.0i for me every time :thumbsup:

There's very little in it money wise when it comes to picking them up second hand, so why wouldn't you?
Old: 2003 3.0i Sterling Grey
New: 2003 3.0i Sterling Grey :D

Instagram: junglistz4

charlie8

Engine advice

Post by charlie8 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:52 pm

The facelift 2.5i has 6 gears, for me its an amazing smooth 6 cylinder engine - winds up like an aircraft on take off, cheap to insure and found one with the m-sport options so the seats, steering wheel and wheels which give it the special edge. Running it is so much cheaper that I could have predicted - do your research and stay away from the dealers, it'll be the cheapest car you ever ran - with a great forum like this to guide you ...
There's nothing in the dark that isn't there in the light .... except fear

MalNCH

Engine advice

Post by MalNCH » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:55 pm

3.0i for me also, no difference in MPG, usually come with more options, 6 gears, invaluable on a long run for fuel consumption, no difference with insurance for me, but then I'm an old git! In fact insurance is only £40 more expensive than the MGF 1.8VVC I had before this.
2004 E85 3.0i, Titan Silver Metallic.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Engine advice

Post by buzyg » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of good advice above. :thumbsup:

po54

Engine advice

Post by po54 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:09 pm

Thanks everyone.

I too am an old git, this will be a 50th Birthday pressie to myself !! It's not until November but I don't see me waiting that long, gonna start with a few test drives now I know what I'm looking for.

PO54