Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CDV and gear knob swap

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
jpvd

CDV and gear knob swap

Post by jpvd » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:24 am

Morning All

I've been reading about swapping the CDV (clutch delay valve) and weighted gear knob to improve gear changes.

The gear knob is pretty straight forward - but advice on the best place to buy one would be great. But what is involved in swapping the CDV?....is it a big job and what is the actual difference? ...and where is the best place to get one....

my motor is the 2.2 e85 2003

cheers!

Paul

:driving: :driving: :driving:

Chris1981

CDV and gear knob swap

Post by Chris1981 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:16 am

Hi Paul!

Both worth while mods, there's a few threads on the gear knob going around at the moment, the genuine ZHP is in short supply so you may struggle, but there are other options out there.

The CDV isn't a swap but a straight up removal, and pretty easy for any home mechanic... pretty sure you'll find more comprehensive guides on here but the basics are;

Jack up car on Left side (passenger side assuming you're UK based with a RHD) and support
Remove small metal cover
Clamp flexi hose (technically not required but prevents fluid going all over the place!)
loosen valve with a couple of 15mm spanners (pretty sure it's 15mm)
Undo rigid pipe that connects valve to slave cylinder
Remove valve from end of flexi pipe, should be finger loose by now
connect flexi pipe directly to hard pipe, make sure you still use the spring clip that held CDV in place.
open up the bleed nipple on the salve cylinder to expel any air that got into the system.
replace metal cover

Admittedly that's a very basic description, i did it myself very easily and have done a couple more since it's surprisingly easy to do. i think there's a youtube video you could use for a guide. alternatively there are several people on here that can do it, try having a look in forum services section
E86 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey with Piano Black dash
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

jpvd

CDV and gear knob swap

Post by jpvd » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:28 am

Hi Chris

Great stuff - thanks for the detailed reply - appreciated!

Will have a look around for a gear knob...have found a couple but seem expensive for what they are....must be that good knobs are worth it i suppose.... :rofl:

regarding the CDV, what does it do?....just slow down the response of the clutch for smoother changes??...

Chris1981

CDV and gear knob swap

Post by Chris1981 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:50 pm

Yeah that's exactly it... the cdv restricts flow so the clutch can only engage at a preset speed, designed to prevent damage to the drivetrain that occurs when you floor it and dump the clutch.

It made the pedal noticeably lighter for me too which was nice! :thumbsup:
E86 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey with Piano Black dash
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

CDV and gear knob swap

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:53 pm

OP, you may be OK finding a ZHP as you need a 5-Speed one for a 2.2i. I think it's the 6-Speed ones that are out of stock everywhere.

I bought my 6-speed last year from Cotswold BMW - £57 posted. But Sopers may be a bit cheaper as they do a forum discount. :thumbsup:

I'd also go with the CDV delete - improved mine no end!

It may not be an issue with your car, but when I had the CDV removed from my E46 325ti at about 90K I had the gear-lever bush replaced and the gearbox oil changed - that sharpened the change up noticeably.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

CDV and gear knob swap

Post by Jembo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:26 pm

I have been quoted £30+VAT for a CDV delete by a garage that’s done it many time before next to Brands Hatch when it goes in for the B12 kit fitting.

For that price, I would suggest it’s not even worth thinking about jacking the car up & trying to work out how to do it, especially if you leak the hydrolic fluid & have to reblead the system.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Buckley06

CDV and gear knob swap

Post by Buckley06 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:42 pm

jpvd wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:24 am Morning All

I've been reading about swapping the CDV (clutch delay valve) and weighted gear knob to improve gear changes.

The gear knob is pretty straight forward - but advice on the best place to buy one would be great. But what is involved in swapping the CDV?....is it a big job and what is the actual difference? ...and where is the best place to get one....

cheers!

Paul

I have a zhp in a 5 speed.(You can buy it if you like)
But also there is some more stainless steel gear knob's being made for site members only soon :thumbsup:
Please check out my new project.
B06 gear knob and brake lever set.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=109279

jpvd

CDV and gear knob swap

Post by jpvd » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:33 pm

Buckley06 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:42 pm
jpvd wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:24 am Morning All

cheers!

Paul

I have a zhp in a 5 speed.(You can buy it if you like)
But also there is some more stainless steel gear knob's being made for site members only soon :thumbsup:
DAM..i totally missed this reply - if by any chance you still have it i maybe interested... thanks!

Haggisman

CDV and gear knob swap

Post by Haggisman » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:43 pm

Removing the CD certainly made the 1st to 2nd gear change miles better. I got a stainless braided hose made up slightly longer than the standard hose when I was at it it just because I could really. Actually fitted braided brake hoses at the same time and changed the brake fluid for Motul high temp dot 4.
2003 Toledo Blue 3.0 E85 Manual
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car
2020 Kia Sportage GT - Her Indoor’s Car
1995 Dakar Yellow M3 E36 Race Car - Sold
2009 Vauxhall Astra VXR - Sold
2003 350Z well modded - Sold
1992 911 RS - Sold and still in mourning