Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I was wondering if this happens to anyone else

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Vbstein

Post by Vbstein » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:59 pm

I was wondering if this happens to anyone else:

Your at a set of traffic lights waiting to go and someone with a car like newish Vauxhall Corsa with 3 mates in their car pull next you. They start nudging forward and revving their engine, poor thing sounds tired already. The light changes and you kind of have to laugh as you gently pull away with no drama and there they are maxing out the poor car. Naturally I put only put my foot down half way on accelerator and they disappeared quite far back, then I see there car change into my lane.

So my point is have you ever have someone race you but your not even meaning to race your just trying to get home from work. This happens to me at least 2 a week, normally with newish budget cars. (Like UP, fiesta, polo and many more of these kind of cars)

I know my car is old but its still superior in performance.
BMW Z4 3.0I is old but not obsolete.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:07 pm

Vbstein wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:59 pm I was wondering if this happens to anyone else:

Your at a set of traffic lights waiting to go and someone with a car like newish Vauxhall Corsa with 3 mates in their car pull next you. They start nudging forward and revving their engine, poor thing sounds tired already. The light changes and you kind of have to laugh as you gently pull away with no drama and there they are maxing out the poor car. Naturally I put only put my foot down half way on accelerator and they disappeared quite far back, then I see there car change into my lane.

So my point is have you ever have someone race you but your not even meaning to race your just trying to get home from work. This happens to me at least 2 a week, normally with newish budget cars. (Like UP, fiesta, polo and many more of these kind of cars)

It’s much more fun riding a powerful motorbike, it doesn’t really matter which car pulls up next to you either! :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:21 pm

Everyday. People in Corsas and 1 series rock up next to my mr2 all the time with their girlies innit gonna hit dat boost and show me up... fail daily.
Generally it's always some snapback wearing, wayfarer sporting vaping douchebag sitting so far back you see them in the rear window kind of t**t.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:31 pm

Something I enjoy immensely is pretending to rise to any given challenge by blipping my throttle in response when stood at the lights. That gives snotbox man an idea that he's got a race on his hands.

However, on the change to green I simply idle away as I'm left in a cloud of rubber, burnt oil, clutch smoke and cam shavings, chortling to myself in the knowledge that I have nothing to prove and am simply more interested in preserving the longevity of my zed and saving money in the process!
:driving: :lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:54 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:07 pm
Vbstein wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:59 pm I was wondering if this happens to anyone else:

It’s much more fun riding a powerful motorbike, it doesn’t really matter which car pulls up next to you either! :thumbsup:
Rob
This is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this. :thumbsup:
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

philbo909

Post by philbo909 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:07 pm

Chris_D wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:31 pm Something I enjoy immensely is pretending to rise to any given challenge by blipping my throttle in response when stood at the lights. That gives snotbox man an idea that he's got a race on his hands.

However, on the change to green I simply idle away as I'm left in a cloud of rubber, burnt oil, clutch smoke and cam shavings, chortling to myself in the knowledge that I have nothing to prove and am simply more interested in preserving the longevity of my zed and saving money in the process!
I'm also a fan of doing this, just seems pointless to take them up on a race, always reminds me of the Ali G drag race to 30mph
https://youtu.be/K5UBRXOHTuM
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:27 pm

Vbstein wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:59 pm So my point is have you ever have someone race you but your not even meaning to race your just trying to get home from work.
The other driver is probably thinking the same.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:54 pm

Yep, my favourite is when they stall :rofl:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:57 pm

I don't seem to get this in my Z4C. Don't know why, I would expect exactly what you describe.
I don't get it in my E30. Maybe people respect the classic status now.
I do get it all the time in my E46 Touring. Why people want to race an 18 year old estate car beats me :idunno:
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:43 pm

Well it seems to happen quite often when I'm in my Z4C, but on Wednesday it happened in my E91!

Old geezer (even older than me!) in a silver Jaguar XF was right up my chuff when I had lifted off heading towards a red light, and as the dual-carriageway goes from 2 lanes to 3 at the lights he went for the 3rd lane next to me! I just let him get on with it as there is another set of lights less than half a mile away and they were red anyway! :wkr:

I had clocked 2 exhausts on the rear of his XF so obviously not a poverty spec 2 litre diesel, but it had no badges so unlikely to be a V8 petrol!

As I'm still waiting to grow up I gave my 325i the beans, and the XF seemed unable to keep up! :o Grace, space maybe, but no pace! :)

I just wish I had a rear-facing camera - he was busting blood vessels! :lol: But his lady passenger looked less than impressed. :rofl:

A great start to the day!

Then on my home I had some fun with a yellow Y-plate Seat Leon Cupra on a local A-road for 6 or 7 miles - we ended up next to each other at a set of lights and exchanged a thumbs-up!

So a good end to the day too.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

tomrdy

Post by tomrdy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:46 am

Not many people try to race me but a lot of them cut me off. A LOT of them that I assume any SUV driving in the other lane within 2-3 car lengths is probably going to cut in randomly. My wife says it's because the car is low down. I call BS. I actually got side swiped by a lady coming onto the main road (damage only to rear quarter and rear bumper). The way it was set up, there was literally nowhere else she could've been looking but FORWARDS WHERE I AM. Must've been texting.

I do get angry people though.

I was stopped at the lights heading home and as they turned green, I gently took on first (as I normally do as 1st to 2nd in these 6 speeds... can be a bit clunky I'm sure some of you understand what I'm talking about) and I see this little white bubble car right up behind me suddenly.

I think nothing of it but notice he changes lanes. I take 3rd gear, still cruising about 2-3k rpm minding my own business. Next thing you know, he's cut back behind me and I see him in my mirror furiously waving his fist at me and yelling???

He must've wanted to do an overtake - but couldn't manage to pick up enough speed to overtake me as I almost idled up the hill, UNDER the speed limit. He then proceeded to think I was purposely speeding up to block him when in reality, I was quietly thinking about what the hell I was going to make for dinner.

At the next junction, I was stopped behind some cars and as he drove past me, he stopped for a moment and yelled at me through the window. Something about "f**** prick".

But.. I... why. :cry:
-SOLD- Nardo grey 2004 Z4 3.0i E85
-SOLD- 2016 Long Beach Blue M2 DCT
-Wishing- Z4MC Interlagos blue... :oops:
___
Australia

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:55 am

i never get this in the z4 weridly, i think people naturally assume its quite quick, so they dont bother

weirldy though, i get it all the time in my e92, think its cos its yellow - its funny embarrasing newer stuff with 600nm of torque at my disposal on an 11 year old rep mobile :lol:
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:49 am

I think that some people just want to gauge how quick their car is against other vehicles or in boy racer type cars they can say they blew off X car from the lights.
2 days ago I was out on my bike on the local back roads following a line of cars with a 17 plate GTI in front of me on the way to a set of roadworks that had temp traffic lights.
As I was approaching them they went to amber so I stopped thinking I would be at the front and have a bit of clear road once the lights changed.
The GTI who was almost through the lights slammed the brakes on and stopped, then reversed back to clear the road in front of him for cars coming.
Once the lights changed for us he took off like a scalded cat and the only reason I could think of him stopping for the lights was to see if he could race me up the road.
These type of guys I dont pass as they think they have something to prove and their skill may not keep them from rear ending you.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:07 am

Chris_D wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:31 pm Something I enjoy immensely is pretending to rise to any given challenge by blipping my throttle in response when stood at the lights. That gives snotbox man an idea that he's got a race on his hands.

:D I can relate to this Chris, although I have to confess sometimes I do floor it in 1st - god its quick :o :evil: :driving:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:28 am

Just not worth it, the Rozzers in Kent are using too many ‘sleeper’ cars, quite a few which are not new but definitely tweaked - where they seem to like Volvos & Jags.

It’s not necessarily who wants to drag you, but who’s watching a few cars back... including all the dash cam footage that’s showing up everywhere.

Fortunately the RedMist is much more under control
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54