Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

COUPE OWNERS - I need your help to prove damage caused by Autoglass

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Gustavo7

Post by Gustavo7 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:07 pm

Bottom-line: I need you to check and post a photo of the top edge of your cars windscreen, where rubber trim meets metal roof, showing any damage (if any) that the rubber trim might have caused to the painted surface of the roof, as shown below. (you will need to look under the rubber as in the pic below the glass if fitted too low)
Complaint AG6.JPG
Complaint AG6.JPG (105.66 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
Long read:

I had to replace the windscreen last month due to a large stoneschip only for it to be hit by another stone a week later, cracking it and dictating the need for a second replacement just after a week. Both jobs done by Autoglass at my workplace.

I witnessed the first replacement from start to finish and although I requested an OEM rubber trim to be fitted the technician showed up with an aftermarket part. The rubber didn't sit very well initially and I noticed that the tech applied some dinitrol adhesive glue (black) between the trim and the roof to make it sit better. After a couple of days (and the sunny weather) the rubber molded itself to the shape of the roof. All was good, but then...

Then the problems started, the new windscreen gets damaged and I have to get another replacement. This time I wasn't able to witness the works due to work meetings etc and upon completion I noticed that the roof was marked all along the top edge of the windscreen.
CCTV shows the technicians motion as if they were scraping the old dinitrol glue from this area but distance from the camera and low video definition means it's not enough to prove damage by mechanical action (scraping). The windscreen was also fitted too low so the marks/scratches are showing, otherwise they *might* have been covered by the trim.

I complained and AG sent two inspectors in, they both agreed that the roof had been damaged and prepared a report highlighting the area of the damage and assured me this would be solved, plus a new windscreen fitted correctly. BUT, the operations manager is now saying that "from the pictures the inspectors took, it looks like a dust mark to me" and that "the marks were done by the rubbing action of the old rubber in contact with the roof, over time. I have seen it lots of times".

But I know these marks were not there during the first windscreen replacement! I took some pictures when the glass was out but unfortunately none show the top edge of the windscreen so it's my word versus the Ops manager's (since they decided to ignore their inspectors opinion).

I took the car to BMW today to get a third party opinion and an estimation to make it right.
BMW said that the mark could have been caused by Autoglass but they cannot tell for sure because they "were not there when the work was done" and, "sometimes rubber trims leave a light mark on the paintwork". Unfortunetely they did not have any Z4 Coupe in there to compare! And that is where you all can be of help!

So, if you can, help a fellow forum member prove that his car got damaged by the "UK’s leading glass repair and replacement company".

Photos:
Complaint AG4.jpg
Complaint AG4.jpg (87.21 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
IMG_7994.JPG
IMG_7994.JPG (110.56 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
IMG_7993.JPG
IMG_7993.JPG (109.07 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
IMG_7988.JPG
IMG_7988.JPG (93.16 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
Complaint AG5.JPG
Complaint AG5.JPG (147.75 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
Complaint AG6.JPG
Complaint AG6.JPG (105.66 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
DSC06270.JPG
DSC06270.JPG (122.45 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
DSC06271.JPG
DSC06271.JPG (84.96 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
P.S.- The pictures below show how my car was left after the second glass replacement, a testament to their "Workmanship"....
Complaint AG1.jpg
Complaint AG1.jpg (245.73 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
Imola Red Z4MC

Z4 COUPSTER

Post by Z4 COUPSTER » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:19 am

The OE seal surely does not fit that high to where the marks are? Take a full shot of the screen /roof area. I'll take some of mine then from same sort of distance for comparison. Tbh moving the seal on mine is causing it to ripple. Only some dirt under there.
D
:thumbsup: Z in da Head.
3.0i Z3 sport,sapphire black,3.0i Z4 roadster Sterling grey,auto,Z4 3.0si Coupe Titanium silver,Stubby &B06 Plus some other German beauties!!

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:44 am

I think you have enough to argue already, write to them and if they don't play ball, small claims.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

TomK

Post by TomK » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:51 am

It looks to me very similar to when BMW first replaced my screen. They fitted it too low so that the new rubber didn't meet the mark left in the paint by the old rubber. I don't believe this mark is caused by a tool as they have no reason to use such a thing in that area.
Glass was refitted perfectly second time and new rubber met up with the existing mark.
DSC_1758.JPG
DSC_1758.JPG (101.25 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

DashBedrock

Post by DashBedrock » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:18 am

I had a poor windscreen replacement done myself. The rubber fit was a disgrace. Don't settle for their bullshit. It took me a further week to get them to fit an oem rubber.
Surely if they're claiming it's a dust mark, then that's an admission of not fitting it in the correct position?
IMG_3794.JPG
IMG_3794.JPG (131.18 KiB) Viewed 1502 times

grumps

Post by grumps » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:36 am

My window hasn't been replaced during my ownership (5+ years) but there is a similar mark under the edge of the seal. There was also evidence of dirt under there which will no doubt have helped to create the mark.

They need to fit an OEM seal to resolve the problem!
Start the day with a smile, get it over with.

Bog standard 2007 3.0si manual E86 in Montego blue with black leather, currently fitted with MV2s

Gustavo7

Post by Gustavo7 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks for your input guys, It looks like from TomK picture below that it may well be a mark caused by the rubber...

I may need to swallow this one up then as they have already committed themselves to refit glass and trim, plus reinstate the missing plastic screws on the cowl panel.

I will make them fit an OE rubber this time!

Thank you!
TomK wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:51 am It looks to me very similar to when BMW first replaced my screen. They fitted it too low so that the new rubber didn't meet the mark left in the paint by the old rubber. I don't believe this mark is caused by a tool as they have no reason to use such a thing in that area.
Glass was refitted perfectly second time and new rubber met up with the existing mark.
DSC_1758.JPG
Imola Red Z4MC

Hagasan

Post by Hagasan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:20 am

I would use this argument..
The two inspectors came out, actually saw the car and agreed it was damaged. The manager (who didn't see the car) then looks at pictures and makes his "judgement or opinion" based on photographs and overrules the inspectors.

So my issue would be someone doesn't know their job or one role is pointless! What is the point sending an inspector to then disagree with their assessment. In order to do this the manager would need to physically inspect the car.

They're chancing it and it wouldn't stand up in a small claims dispute..

Either demand they fix it properly or take them to court. You'd win on the basis/points made above. Pain in the ass but don't let them off so easily.

Good luck

paullyjay

Post by paullyjay » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:03 pm

Gustavo7 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:30 am Thanks for your input guys, It looks like from TomK picture below that it may well be a mark caused by the rubber...

I may need to swallow this one up then as they have already committed themselves to refit glass and trim, plus reinstate the missing plastic screws on the cowl panel.

I will make them fit an OE rubber this time!

Thank you!
TomK wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:51 am It looks to me very similar to when BMW first replaced my screen. They fitted it too low so that the new rubber didn't meet the mark left in the paint by the old rubber. I don't believe this mark is caused by a tool as they have no reason to use such a thing in that area.
DSC_1758.JPG
That is disgraceful work!!! That Screen has NOT been fitted properly... I would be insisting that the screen was not installed to an acceptable standard - the fitter had done a poor job and at the very least the glass should be re-fitted correctly or replaced for free...

(Also, somewhere I have a box of genuine BMW fixings, if I can remember where it is and I have the right fixings, you are welcome to them!)

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Still waiting for autoglass to replace my screen, 4 weeks so far as supposedly there are no coupe screens in stock.
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

Sinkrate

Post by Sinkrate » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:30 pm

Gustavo7 - I’m away at the moment but can help you out, back on tues. Autoglass have replaced my windscreen (wrong seal / wrong screen) they have omitted this even after OEM was approved originally and what I asked for. The correct screen has arrived, it was suppose to be fitted today so I’ve seen it in the van. Technician who knew about the z4 refused to fit it as they had not supplied the correct seal this time. He’s coming back next week. PM me your mobile, I’ll send some info :thumbsup:

Mark - screens are available, they managed to get mine within 7 working days. Ask if the purchasing department have ordered the correct oem screen (this is where my first order fell apart). eventhough the order was correct on the screen the purchasing folk just ordered a non oem seal and screen.

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:21 pm

Back in stock. Being fitted on Friday. I checked the screen type with local dealer and appears to be correct. A bit worried now after this topic :lol:
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

Sinkrate

Post by Sinkrate » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Yeah I know what you mean .... good luck with it!

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:12 pm

And im in a similar situation today, another Autoglass screen. The screen looked good but the seal supplied was terrible. Luckily the engineer said there's no way he's fitting it and was going to order another.

Originally I asked for an oem screen and trim. My insurance refused saying both were too expensive.

So today I thought ill see how much an oem trim is...................a huge £27. What a joke.

So ive ordered that and will be here for when they try again Wednesday.

Part No for coupe trim is 51317017021

Mark

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:20 pm

I had my screen attempted again today by Autoglass, spot on all done.

So some advice, I had the choice of 2 screens when the guy turned up. One from Pilkington, the other brand I can't remember. I would highly recommend requesting the Pilkington. It's a perfect copy of OEM. The other one had a circle showing through the black light sensor section where the mirror clips on. It does darken slightly when covered but it just looks odd.

Also the guy brought 2 seal/trims with him, both rubbish compared to the £27 BMW oem version. Part number above.