Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cleaning the inside of the roof (soft top)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ERX

Post by ERX » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:04 pm

Hello guys. Since I bought my car, it has had a strange smell inside which I have been trying to get rid of. I've pretty much hoovered everywhere and rubbed a few different cleaning products everywhere too. I have a feeling the odor is coming off of the roof, but I wasn't sure what products are okay to use on it so I was wondering what you guys would suggest!

Thanks

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:18 pm

Steam clean and or Fabreeze

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:51 pm

Thorough steam cleaning should clean the roof but a lot of bacteria (the cause of bad smells) is present in the air conditioning system. I use the following product twice a year which works a treat. Bilt Hamber air con bomb. You place it inside the car, turn the air con on full at it's coldest press the trigger and leave the car. A great product for under a tenner.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

ERX

Post by ERX » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:07 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I will look into steam cleaning the roof and I will definitely order that AC cleaner. There is an old dusty smell when using the heater, so hopefully that will fix that too!

Anmarube

Post by Anmarube » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:46 pm

Steam for the interior headliner. Not too close and have a few microfibres to wipe immediately otherwise it can become too wet and sag. An old bath towel would do also.
Steam is great. ....... mind your leg on the nozzle.... :headbang:
I didn't..

andystone

Post by andystone » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:00 pm

Wet wipes also good
2005 e85 z4, 2.5

skelters

Post by skelters » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:08 pm

ERX wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:04 pm Hello guys. Since I bought my car, it has had a strange smell inside which I have been trying to get rid of. I've pretty much hoovered everywhere and rubbed a few different cleaning products everywhere too. I have a feeling the odor is coming off of the roof, but I wasn't sure what products are okay to use on it so I was wondering what you guys would suggest!

Thanks
As above, it's probably the Air Con.

Is the carpet damp? Maybe not with recent weather.

Is it perhaps coming from somewhere else?...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :poke:
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:21 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:51 pm Thorough steam cleaning should clean the roof but a lot of bacteria (the cause of bad smells) is present in the air conditioning system. I use the following product twice a year which works a treat. Bilt Hamber air con bomb. You place it inside the car, turn the air con on full at it's coldest press the trigger and leave the car. A great product for under a tenner.
like the look of that.

ERX

Post by ERX » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:42 pm

Anmarube wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:46 pm Steam for the interior headliner. Not too close and have a few microfibres to wipe immediately otherwise it can become too wet and sag. An old bath towel would do also.
Steam is great. ....... mind your leg on the nozzle.... :headbang:
I didn't..
Thanks for those tips, definitely will come in handy.
skelters wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:08 pm As above, it's probably the Air Con.

Is the carpet damp? Maybe not with recent weather.

Is it perhaps coming from somewhere else?...
I am not entirely sure where it is from. I think the smell comes out a lot stronger after the car's been sitting in the sun with all the windows up. I've cleaned everything except the air vents, the roof, and under the passenger seat so I am hoping cleaning these will eliminate the odor. It's actually so bad for me that I only like to have the roof down if the car hasn't been aired out for a while.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:56 pm

Also check/change your pollen filter (behind glovebox) if it smells when the heater or aircon is on :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

ERX

Post by ERX » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:42 pm

patriot66 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:56 pm Also check/change your pollen filter (behind glovebox) if it smells when the heater or aircon is on :thumbsup:
Will do :thumbsup:

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:54 pm

Pull the passenger seat forward as far as it will go and you will notice an overlap in the carpet. Get your hand under this so you can feel the underlay. If it is wet to the touch it could mean the roof drain holes are/were blocked and water has overflowed into the car under the carpet.