Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Driver side door won't lock-unlock with remote

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Z4-04

Post by Z4-04 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:26 pm

My 2004 Z4 roadster Driver side door will not lock or unlock with the remote. The door will lock & unlock with the key.
The passenger door and trunk will work with the remote. This car has 48,200 miles and is in great shape.

I checked the fuse box - central locking system fuse 11 & 30 and they were good but I replaced them anyway. It did not help.

I ran a scan with my Autophix ES910 scanner and it came up with one fault. Title: GM base module: Fuse fault central lock. 02 central locking systems: fuse

My scan indicates a bad fuse. As far as I know there are only two fuses and I replaced them. Can someone confirm which fuse has failed?

Thanks in advance

Leon
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster, sapphire black, Oregon beige interior

Jim28270

Post by Jim28270 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:03 pm

It could be several things but the relays in the GM5 module are prone to failure. Try the button in the centre console and if that doesn’t work either it may be the module. Repair services are available, see

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REPAIR-SERVI ... %7Ciid%3A1

Z4-04

Post by Z4-04 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:33 pm

Thanks for reply Jim

Which button in the center console are you speaking of? Are you speaking of the central lock button? If so I have tried that and it only locks and unlocks the passenger door.

Thanks

Leon

mr nurburgring

Post by mr nurburgring » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:59 am

The relay in the gm5 module is broken.

Jim28270

Post by Jim28270 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:38 am

Yes, I meant the central locking button.

Apparently the GM5 relay fault is usually intermittent to start with. My 2004 car on 39k miles is just starting to play up. I’ve not checked for fault codes but can imagine a broken relay could throw a fuse (open circuit) code.

I couldn’t say for certin that it’s not a faulty actuator, but mr nurburgring may well be right.

On my car it’s just an occasional inconvenience but if it starts to affect the fuel filler cover and refueling I’ll have to get it repaired. I can’t vouch for the linked ebay listing but that’s the sort of route I’ll take.

paullyjay

Post by paullyjay » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:32 am

I had similar issues - I think mine were caused by a flat battery...

Z4-04

Post by Z4-04 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:50 pm

I'm planning to send my module to a fellow named Scott who other Z owners have used. He replaces the relays for around $100. and when it comes back it will not require recalibrating since its the original unit. I believe that my scanner is trying to tell me that the module is bad as I have replaced the two central locking fuse's. So by the end of the week I will send it in and see what happens. I will let you know the results.
Regards

ERX

Post by ERX » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:39 pm

$100 sounds a bit like a hefty price to change the relays. I ordered 2 relays from aliexpress for under $6

Z4-04

Post by Z4-04 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:56 am

I sent my module located under the glove box in for repair and found it was in good working condition so this is not causing the problem with my driver side door not locking or un locking by remote. I hope it is not the door actuator but it might be.

Does anybody know which fuses in the fuse box control the door lock and unlock. Is the only fuse box located under the glove box

Z4-04

Post by Z4-04 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:42 pm

I don't want to tear into the driver side door until I fully investigate the fault reading I'm getting.

I checked the fuse box - central locking system fuse 11 & 30 and they were good but I replaced them anyway. It did not help.

I ran a scan with my Autophix ES910 scanner and it came up with one fault. Title: GM base module: Fuse fault central lock. 02 central locking systems: fuse

Driver side door won't lock - unlock with remote 2004 Z4
My 2004 Z4 roadster Driver side door will not lock or unlock with the remote. The door will lock & unlock with the key. The passenger door and trunk will work with the remote. This car has 48,200 miles and is in great shape.

My scan indicates a bad fuse. As far as I know there are only two fuses and I replaced them. Can someone confirm which fuse has failed?

Thanks in advance

Leon

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:30 pm

Does the centre console button unlock the door?

There are 5 fuses related to the general module (A1), all located at A41 (fusebox in passenger footwell):
F10
F11
F12
F26
F46
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

BRC

Post by BRC » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:27 pm

Apologies if I am way off beam but when I too had exactly the same problem and for reasons I cannot remember my focus came round to the key program. In the end I used the instruction in the following web site and instantly solved the problem. Essentially it seems as if the key had "lost the plot"! BTW try method 1 as a would be solution.
Hope this might help:
https://www.programyourkeys.com/BMW_Z4_ ... mming.html

Sold a pair of soft top side covers and now retired.

Z4-04

Post by Z4-04 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:13 pm

Thanks for both your response's. The central lock - unlock button affects the passenger door only - not the drivers door. I appreciate your list if other fuse's that may also affect the door lock. I will check those right away. I will also look at the key program however the key fob does work the passenger and trunk locks.

Again thank and I will give an update.

Z4-04

Post by Z4-04 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:29 am

Update: Car 2004 E85 BMW Z4 Convertible - 48,300 miles
Just to restate the problem - Both key-fobs do work on everything EXCEPT for the Drivers Side Door lock-unlock. The drivers side door will lock and unlock manually with the key. The power window on drivers door works fine.

I sent the GM5 module away for repair however after testing the Tech said it was fine and returned it without replacing relays.

I checked and replaced the central lock - unlock fuses which did not fix problem

Today I checked the other fuses as recommended by Scooba Steve - the fuses were good and I replaced them anyway just in case. - Did not fix problem

by Scooba_Steve » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:30 pm
Does the centre console button unlock the door? YES the Console Lock - Unlock button works - but not on Drivers door

There are 5 fuses related to the general module (A1), all located at A41 (fusebox in passenger footwell):
F10
F11
F12
F26
F46
Fuse

I did check the programing of the two key fobs today and it did not change problem.

I'm running out of idea's. I hope it is not the drivers side door actuator which means the door must be taken apart and from what I've seen on line it is a PIA job which I don't think I can do and I can only imagine what the BMW dealership or alternate shop might charge for this job?

I appreciate all comments and I'm open any other suggestions.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:16 am

Doesn’t sound like you have a whole lot left to go at but the door is not difficult to take apart at all. Follow this guide...https://youtu.be/Djgcv-VpCW8
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.