Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Springs rates - SE vs M sport

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
DaveD

Post by DaveD » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:51 pm

Guys

Does anyone know what the spring rates are for the SE and M sport springs on a 3.0si coupe?

I’m SE at the moment with B6 shocks. The rear of my car does look a bit high but front is ok so wondering about impact of putting M springs on the back. The rear of the car is pretty compliant and springs soft, so feels like it could work. I understand that firmer rear springs could make the car more oversteer prone, but not sure of this would actually just balance out the built in understeer?

Let me know if this is completely bonkers!
Z4 Coupe 3.0si - Stratus Grey - M sport seats, headlining, New England, Carver, Cruise, Xenons, sT XTAs, Eisenmann race, 18” 405m
G21 M340i - Tanzanite - Tech Pack, Comfort + Pack, Visibility pack, pan roof.

DaveD

Post by DaveD » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:07 am

Bumpety bump... appreciate any views from those more knowledgable than I!

How much difference does forming up the rear spring rate vs the front make to handling?
Z4 Coupe 3.0si - Stratus Grey - M sport seats, headlining, New England, Carver, Cruise, Xenons, sT XTAs, Eisenmann race, 18” 405m

Clarkie

Post by Clarkie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:11 am

Dave - I am not sure about different springs on front and rear - sounds wrong - but on the basis rear springs are an easy change it might be worth a punt to see what it feels like.

I run B6 shocks with Msport equivalent springs (Suplex) on all four corners and it is hard, but the handling is great - tbh the change in shocks after 86k miles probably masked any spring differences in any event. BTW B6 shocks with Msport springs is not recommended by Bilstein - but I havent had any issue with it - and they are only 15mm lower than SE anyway - I suspect it might be a different story if you opted for a bigger drop - say 30mm.
SOLD 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport Montego Blue/Pearl Grey

DaveD

Post by DaveD » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks mate. Appreciate your thoughts.

Noted on the b6s - I think they can take a 30mm drop vs SE height which is why I’d only look a m sport springs. Want to keep the travel!

I find the front is definitely firmer than the rear currently - all that engine weight on the fronts. Definitely easier to bounce the rear of the car by hand.