Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 to E89 - can't decide :-(

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Steve S

Post by Steve S » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:10 am

From one Antipodean to another, I've owned my 6-speed manual E89 35i for 14 months now after originally looking at the E85M. Having driven both, I don't have a moment of regret. The latter model is comfortably larger and more refined with all the modern bells and whistles, which earned massive Brownie points from the wife who now actually enjoys accompanying me in the car - even occasionally with the roof down :roll: . The 35i with a chip upgrade has just as much (or more) stick than an E85M and it has a glorious exhaust note.
Admittedly, the E85 is more nimble and responsive, but there's a couple of other toys in the shed that give me the occasional hillclimb or circuit sprint fix.
2010 S-Drive 35i 6-speed manual :driving:

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:52 am

Steve S wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:10 am From one Antipodean to another, I've owned my 6-speed manual E89 35i for 14 months now after originally looking at the E85M. Having driven both, I don't have a moment of regret. The latter model is comfortably larger and more refined with all the modern bells and whistles, which earned massive Brownie points from the wife who now actually enjoys accompanying me in the car - even occasionally with the roof down :roll: . The 35i with a chip upgrade has just as much (or more) stick than an E85M and it has a glorious exhaust note.
Admittedly, the E85 is more nimble and responsive, but there's a couple of other toys in the shed that give me the occasional hillclimb or circuit sprint fix.
Interesting counterpoints. The power can't really be pushed as it's a non-turbo, but it's more than the 2.5si has anyway. I did feel the sense of 'occasion' a lot more in the E89 cabin.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport