Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Got trans fluid from a bulk container in used quarts containers

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Rombbb

Post by Rombbb » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:19 pm

From the official dealer. First I said no go, just give me two unopened 1 liter (quart) bottles.

They were on backorder so would have taken 2 weeks or so. Walking to my car I was like, come on the bulk stuff is good as well and went back.

Asked to see the bulk container which indeed was marked with the correct stuff, MSP/A for a Z4M. Took the 2 liters bottles filled with the stuff, but now back home I'm starting to doubt whether I was overhasty.

Am sure the didn't flush out the old bottles and even if they did I'm sure they didn't dry them properly so there will have been water droplets.

Really shiny 'official' place, but take out the marketing materials and BMW uniforms and a lot of technicians seem like regular Joe's cutting corners.

Do you think a little leftover from the old oil in those bottles will contaminate the trans fluid to a serious degree ? If so it will be an expensive mistake, 90 bucks.

One bottle previously had DTF 1 trans fluid in it, the other bottle has no label.

If it was your car would you pour it in for the next 30k miles ?

Rombbb

Post by Rombbb » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:19 pm

From the official dealer. First I said no go, just give me two unopened 1 liter (quart) bottles.

They were on backorder so would have taken 2 weeks or so. Walking to my car I was like, come on the bulk stuff is good as well and went back.

Asked to see the bulk container which indeed was marked with the correct stuff, MSP/A for a Z4M. Took the 2 liters bottles filled with the stuff, but now back home I'm starting to doubt whether I was overhasty.

Am sure the didn't flush out the old bottles and even if they did I'm sure they didn't dry them properly so there will have been water droplets.

Really shiny 'official' place, but take out the marketing materials and BMW uniforms and a lot of technicians seem like regular Joe's cutting corners.

Do you think a little leftover from the old oil in those bottles will contaminate the trans fluid to a serious degree ? If so it will be an expensive mistake, 90 bucks.

One bottle previously had DTF 1 trans fluid in it, the other bottle has no label.

andyf1140

Post by andyf1140 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Yes it will be fine. The most important thing is that they didn't clean them out with water.

Rombbb

Post by Rombbb » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:12 pm

Thanks !

Good for peace of mind :)

Not sure whether they rinsed it out with water though, but gonna take the gamble. Fluid looks pretty clear and homogeneous, not like any watery substances floating on top or something.

dannytheduck1985

Post by dannytheduck1985 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:26 pm

Rombbb wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:19 pm From the official dealer. First I said no go, just give me two unopened 1 liter (quart) bottles.

I totally get your issue mate.
The sales Personnel who sell you s**t in the dealers haven’t got a clue. They just monkeys (apologises for being blunt).
If you are concerned whether the container was decontaminated correctly, go straight to head office for answers (don’t hold back!!!)

Before you do I can tell you one thing. I’ve working in numerous car manufacturers official U.K. warehouses. I’ve witnessed full scale operations, transferring oil from the manufacturers container to their own brand container. It’s another sneaky tactic to rob customers
84’ E28 Alpina B9
83’ VW B2 Passat CL
90’ Mercedes 300E-24
90’ Vauxhall Carlton GSI 3000 24V manual
85’ Opel Ascona Cabriolet

Rombbb

Post by Rombbb » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks !

Decided I will go for t anyways; one contaner had DFT-1 in it which seems to be same viscosity but for XDrive systems. So pretty similar stuff hopefully. The unlabeled container is a question mark but I'd be only needing like .1 litre from it.

By the way, I feel your pain; went to another 'official' BMW dealer and they put in more than half a litre too much engine oil (also I doubt whether they fully emptied and renewed the motoroil, could just as well be "3 out of 5,5 bottles is good enough, right !").
If you can't even correctly measure oil level the shiny BMW logo upfront means zip.