Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Using a "R" rated tire vs Run Flats??

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
2L8ULUZ

Post by 2L8ULUZ » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:36 pm

I am looking for some advice on using a cheaper "R" rated tire vs the hard run flat OEM tires... The ride differnces, is it going to effect the handling? I have the sport model with "M" suspension and auto sports mode...

S,R,Y,Z,W "S" being the slowest..... The "R" im asking about is just a softer tire... So, does anyone have experience running softer tire? How bad did it affect body roll? being that our wheel and tire sizes have such a small sidewall profile... 35 rear and 40 front, I wonder if mattered that much? as sway bars help control roll also... I am in the U.S. 18in L.A. Style Wheels from the factory

So basically, if you are running a softer sidewall tire then the OEM ones.. How big of a ride handling difference is there? Is it minimal?

Its ok, to bash me being cheap... I'm a college grad student with little funds

I asked this question before in another thread with little response, so I am posting this again...

THX!!

Attachments
Bmw Z4-1.jpg
Bmw Z4-1.jpg (168.78 KiB) Viewed 700 times

Rich8

Post by Rich8 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:37 pm

I wouldn’t normally reply on something I have no previous experience of, but i’m starting to feel a little sorry for you and your lack of replies. :poke:

People may not be responding because the response will be a bash for being cheap. And it’s always less fun doing that to someone when they have already invited it.

But....you ARE being too cheap. Tyres are the only part of the car that stops you firing off into the scenery, and you are considering endowing your wheels with tyres intended for a 60bhp mini? Speed rating of about 100mph? (It’s not just the speed either - it also takes into account the amount of torque the wheel, on the intended vehicle, is likely to put through the tyre).

They will just smear themselves across the road and spit you into the gutter the first fast bend you take. Especially if it’s nice and hot where you live.

Skimping on the tyres is not the way to go. It could kill you.
You’re better off maybe just save the money by living on baked beans on toast for the next couple of years instead.

Oh.........you said you’re a student didn’t you....

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:56 pm

You should fit tyres that match the official top speed of your vehicle. Everything you need to know about Speed Ratings is here :https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/tyre ... ed-rating/
:thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:54 pm

2L8ULUZ wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:36 pm I am looking for some advice on using a cheaper "R" rated tire vs the hard run flat OEM tires
Except this guy keeps insisting "R" for softer tyre rather than the speed rating... And confusing run-flats and possibly load index.

Read this: https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tires-1 ... ewall.page

My winters are "H" rated, there are no issues with them.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

2L8ULUZ

Post by 2L8ULUZ » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:57 pm

That's what I was getting at the with the "H" rated tires for an example... I understand the seriousness behind the types of rubber and keeping the car on the road... I was just curious if someone had ran those "H" tires vs Z rated... or any type besides

THX!!

I also know that I opened myself up for this.... It's cool..

JackTup

Post by JackTup » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:59 pm

I don't have answers to your tire question but just wanted to say I like the colors of your Z4, E85 I presume. I have the identical color combo and really appreciate its look. Cheers

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:39 pm

2L8ULUZ wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:57 pm I was just curious if someone had ran those "H" tires vs Z rated... or any type besides
They will be fine as long as you don't go over the rated speed. Local law may vary on the required fitment though.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

2L8ULUZ

Post by 2L8ULUZ » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:00 pm

I ended up purchasing a set of Barum Bravuris 3HM tires... I think that I got the best of both worlds... These tires were specifically designed for "Discount Tire" stores... Here in the U.S. they have over 900 locations... So probably the largest in the nation. The You-Tube reviews have been great. These are "W" rated tires for speeds up to 168 mph... The stock "Z" rates are only to 149 mph... So, I’m good there...

$79 for the fronts and $89 for the rears each...

I've only put about 20 miles on them since yesterday, but the ride difference is amazing... It makes this car much more enjoyable to drive...Being the "M Sport" model... The strut tower braces make body roll still minimal...

Once these tires break in over the next 500 miles, I will report back...

I'm a broke Law Student, I have very few options... Not necessarily trying to be cheap!