Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sport mode

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Mighty1

Sport mode

Post by Mighty1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:28 am

Use it on the open road used last night when a would be in a Nissan duke with a roof rack😂 thought he had the necessary going up a bank as well
Popped on the sport hit the loud pedal no more mr duke
Geoff
Previous
Z4 2.0 M sport
Porsche Boxster
SLk 3.5
MK1 Mx5
Currently z2.5 Auto exclusive Maldives blue

brillomaster

Sport mode

Post by brillomaster » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:34 am

i pretty much never have the sport mode on - even though the car is 95% a track car, I still find the throttle too sensitive in sport mode, and while the steering is weightier, it still has no feel. so I leave it off and enjoy the lighter steering. H&T is easy enough when you're properly on the brakes and at high rpm.

it would be nice if it firmed up the suspension or actually changed the engine mapping, but just changing throttle sensitivity and steering assistance is a bit of a gimmick IMO.

Flyingfifer

Sport mode

Post by Flyingfifer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:40 am

JamieZ4C wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:30 am Seems I'm in a minority. My start up routine is... engine on, sport button on, drive!

(agree about keeping it on at switch off/on... or at least having the option)

I don't find my fuel consumption any worse, I prefer the throttle response, the steering feels better and I personally find the exhaust note is sweeter. All or some of that may just be in my head though!

But then mine isn't my daily and so I only use for evening and weekend fun where I'm not sat in traffic.
I'm exactly the same although I do turn the DSC off as part of my start-up :D :driving:

Got 36mpg on the motorway with Sport on and DSG off, didnt think it effected fueling?
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

LittleZ4

Sport mode

Post by LittleZ4 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:58 am

Tenma wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:28 am set mine to be permanent on, steering feels much better with it .
When you say set to permanently on.....is this mapped like that??
3.0i Maldives blue, Coilovers, Bola B1's, Buckley06 Gear knob, Handbrake & Indicator badges, Backbox delete, CDV delete, cupra r splitter, RAM air filter, Bigger Brakes, M3 ARB, SMF.

paullyjay

Sport mode

Post by paullyjay » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:09 pm

Mine is off most of the time, I use my 3.0se auto as a daily and the sport button really kills the MPGs...

I think the sport button does more for the auto than the manual when you combine the increased throttle sensitivity and auto box holding lower gears for longer it really brings the car alive! Can't say the steering difference bothers me either way...

Phoenixboy

Sport mode

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:15 pm

paullyjay wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:09 pm Mine is off most of the time, I use my 3.0se auto as a daily and the sport button really kills the MPGs...

I think the sport button does more for the auto than the manual when you combine the increased throttle sensitivity and auto box holding lower gears for longer it really brings the car alive! Can't say the steering difference bothers me either way...
it does.
good if your out on the twisties, pointless round town.
you just look a knob :wink:
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Sport mode

Post by RustyZ4 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:36 pm

I agree with Paullyjay, the sport button works much better with the auto box with the throttle, I only ever use mine when I went to play silly buggers, most of the time its off
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Archer17

Sport mode

Post by Archer17 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:49 pm

I also have the 3.0 auto and the first time I drove it I thought the car reacted more like a tourer. Of course the Sport button changes that perception as soon as it is pressed. Like many on here mine stays off most of the time but when I get the itch it gets pressed for the grin it brings.

Johnr32

Sport mode

Post by Johnr32 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:43 pm

I totally agree except I use mine as a daily. I think sport mode should be on by default and instead replaced with a "comfort" option.
JamieZ4C wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:30 am Seems I'm in a minority. My start up routine is... engine on, sport button on, drive!

(agree about keeping it on at switch off/on... or at least having the option)

I don't find my fuel consumption any worse, I prefer the throttle response, the steering feels better and I personally find the exhaust note is sweeter. All or some of that may just be in my head though!

But then mine isn't my daily and so I only use for evening and weekend fun where I'm not sat in traffic.

Z4 COUPSTER

Sport mode

Post by Z4 COUPSTER » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:49 pm

ph001 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:50 pm Sorry...I mean it would be great if it did!
On the Auto if I hold the button when I turn the ignition on it stays on. As in when I restart the car. I'll try and show how tomorrow.
:thumbsup: Z in da Head.
3.0i Z3 sport,sapphire black,3.0i Z4 roadster Sterling grey,auto,Z4 3.0si Coupe Titanium silver,Stubby &B06 Plus some other German beauties!!

Z4 COUPSTER

Sport mode

Post by Z4 COUPSTER » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:52 pm

Kieran_Z4 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:43 pm Hey everyone,

Now my question is how often do you all drive in sport mode? I am addicted to leaving it on sport mode & just turn it off in traffic. I know I use more fuel but just love the drive better, better throttle response & sharper steering plus more car pops & burbles more in sport mode with the mapping on it. Just wondering if other Zed owners use it a lot or maybe not use it very much?

Edit* mine is also the Auto
On my Auto massive difference in holding gears out and sharper throttle.
On the coupe I just find my gear changes are worse when I'm taking off,when I'm rolling great, but from a stand like a two year old driving.
3.0i Z3 sport,sapphire black,3.0i Z4 roadster Sterling grey,auto,Z4 3.0si Coupe Titanium silver,Stubby &B06 Plus some other German beauties!!

jamesditchy

Sport mode

Post by jamesditchy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:35 pm

I only use the car weekends for drives out but I always have the button pressed. The car just responds so much better even at lower speeds in traffic and at higher revs it's just a different machine :driving:

Kieran_Z4

Sport mode

Post by Kieran_Z4 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:41 pm

Z4 COUPSTER wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:52 pm
Kieran_Z4 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:43 pm Hey everyone,

Now my question is how often do you all drive in sport mode? I am addicted to leaving it on sport mode & just turn it off in traffic. I know I use more fuel but just love the drive better, better throttle response & sharper steering plus more car pops & burbles more in sport mode with the mapping on it. Just wondering if other Zed owners use it a lot or maybe not use it very much?

Edit* mine is also the Auto
On my Auto massive difference in holding gears out and sharper throttle.
On the coupe I just find my gear changes are worse when I'm taking off,when I'm rolling great, but from a stand like a two year old driving.
What annoys me with mine, if I put it in manual & I put it to first gear when I put my foot down it keeps changing to 2nd gear set off when it’s sluggish so I want first :x really annoys me as it does it all the time won’t let me set off in 1st for some reason :cry:

Z4 COUPSTER

Sport mode

Post by Z4 COUPSTER » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:17 pm

1st on most Autos is very short, it's ore of a parking gear bud. It's hanging to stop the sluger going pop
Rember they are not atrue manual, the brain of the box will always take over when it thinks it needs to.
I think you can have a box remap though.
D

Piper1

Sport mode

Post by Piper1 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:09 am

[quote="Z4 COUPSTER" post_id=&lt;a href="tel:<a href="tel:1554802">1554802</a>"&gt;1554802&lt;/a&gt; time=&lt;a href="tel:<a href="tel:1529698664">1529698664</a>"&gt;1529698664&lt;/a&gt; user_id=27983]
1st on most Autos is very short, it's ore of a parking gear bud. It's hanging to stop the sluger going pop
Rember they are not atrue manual, the brain of the box will always take over when it thinks it needs to.
I think you can have a box remap though.
D
[/quote]

What it sounded like he tries launching and it doesn’t give him 1st at all just up shifts and launches from 2nd instead. In “D” it does typically launch from 2nd unless you’re at WOT. Even with 1st being short it still should let you launch from it in manual shift mode. With sport off manual shift it might not let you rev as high before up shifting but with sport on it should give whole rpm range before redline is hit then it taking over to shift for you.
03 Z4 2.5i
ESS VT1, Racing Dynamics SS headers ceramic coated, Full Super Sprint system, 4.10:1 LSD, K Sport BBK, Koni yellow/eibach combo, and lots of other bits
07 e86 3.0si stock for the moment