Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Crankshaft Auto [Somewhat "off-topic"]

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:06 am

I often read about people looking for ideas to upgrade their Sat Nav units. I've seen people remove the screens fix tablets in place.

I've recently played with Open Auto, a Raspberry Pi based Android Auto receiver setup... Open Auto has been built into "Crankshaft" which offers downloadable OS images. You can find their website here: http://getcrankshaft.com

For what it's worth, I've been playing with it for a while for a different project of mine (Since I removed the sat nav screen ages ago from mine, and also went double din)... but it works really well, and others have documented elsewhere how you can startup and shutdown the Raspberry Pi with the ignition. Basically, you could get a compatible screen such as the official 7" touch screen, connect it to a Raspberry Pi 3B+, then mount a USB connector somewhere and boom - you've got an Android Auto system :) if you connected it to the factory head unit via Aux you could keep a pretty stock setup, and you wouldn't miss out on Sat Nav since you can use navigation apps within Android Auto.

Worth a look if anyone is curious.

If anyone wants to donate me a BROKEN display unit (or has one going cheap) (Eg, the motor works, so opens and closes but the screen is dead) I may look to undertaking the project as a guinea pig and then if it works out, sell the setup on afterwards since I personally have no use for it.

Thoughts anyone?

Worthy documentation reads:

Boot, Reboot & Shutdown the Pi with Ignition Key

Getting Started with Crankshaft + Hardware Requirements

My test-bench is an RPi 2, so it's a little slower... it's better with the RPi 3B+
IMG_0005.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg (148.76 KiB) Viewed 506 times
IMG_0006.jpeg
IMG_0006.jpeg (181.23 KiB) Viewed 506 times
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:53 pm

Excellent!! :thumbsup:
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino