Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

re Ever started a job and wish you hadn't

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
w1ndsurfnut

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Already fitted a new rad this week. Had a set of new disks and pads sitting in the garage for ages. Just no time to do it. So I thought while I'm on a role I will do the fronts while its up in the air. The off side was binding anyway when I took it for a test drive after the radiator replacement. The disk bolt holding it on the hub was stuck like a B1*ch. Tried everything, including heating it up. Eventually the allen just turned in the head of the screw. So have had to drill it out until the flange part came off. Don't think these disks have ever been off because I had to clout it with a rubber mallet for ages before the disk came off. What a ball ache..Now i just have to get what is left of the disk bolt out. :headbang:

Courageous

Post by Courageous » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:49 pm

Oof! Feeling your pain!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:12 pm

If you need to get the job done forget about getting the hex out as it serves no real purpose or her than holding the disk until the wheel is in. You can do it later when you have time to drill it and get an extractor in it
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

andyf1140

Post by andyf1140 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:59 am

cj10jeeper wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:12 pm If you need to get the job done forget about getting the hex out as it serves no real purpose or her than holding the disk until the wheel is in. You can do it later when you have time to drill it and get an extractor in it
That's right... I wouldn't bother with it.

w1ndsurfnut

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:51 pm

Well I am definitely not bothering now. Bought one of those easy out type bits today. Guess what. It broke off in the bolt. Think its case hardened or something because tried drilling that out but it didn't even touch it. So just tidied it up a bit and that is that.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:38 pm

I know the feeling...unfortunately I'm at this 'job' until Christmas, and would have left already but don't want to jeopardise future work (in a different role) :oops:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:53 am

Nothing worse than hitting problems in the middle of a job.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

allanhelen

Post by allanhelen » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:35 am

I've had to resort to grinder before now to get disc's off so it came free with just a good whacking you were lucky

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:47 am

Nictrix wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:53 am Nothing worse than hitting problems in the middle of a job.
Oh - I don’t know
After packing all tools away then discovering the problem remains on test drive or finding a spare bolt all make me scream..
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

aarsavage

Post by aarsavage » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:50 pm

Same happened to me, spent an hours trying everything to no avail, drilled the bolt head off, then set about trying to extract the rest.

Holding the hub with one hand to stop it spinning, drilling with the other.

Drill bit snapped leftwards, hand spun around rightwards.

https://ibb.co/iEuJvT

You can see the blood blister where the drill bit pinched from inside my hand.

Ordered and fitted a new hub/bearing once I'd healed up.