Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fogging headlight lenses

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Scott S

Fogging headlight lenses

Post by Scott S » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:54 pm

I have a 2003 Z4 and when I bought it (August 2017) it foggy headlight lenses. I've tried a lot of things to clear them but nothing has worked. the last 2 things to try is pay £100 for someone to sand my headlights or buy new ones.

The last one buy new ones. Does anyone know where I can get new ones but not pay through the nose for them.

Scott :driving:

ihadablackdog

Fogging headlight lenses

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:02 pm

When you say foggy, do you mean condensation or the actual glass/plastic is kinda not clear anymore?

If the later, don't they call that oxidisation?

Go with me here......toothpaste!!!!

And this is free!!!! Use normal toothpaste and your partners toothbrush :roll:

Loads of videos on youtube.

Can buy stuff in halfords as well.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

AveZ4coop

Fogging headlight lenses

Post by AveZ4coop » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:16 pm

If toothpaste doesn't work, rub lenses with wet'n'dry paper (Mask off surrounding paintwork then start with 1200 grit and use a few grades up to 3000 grit) but only rub in one direction(horizontally) ,then rub over with a headlight lens clarifier solution and buff off. When you first start it will scare you as it seems like you have buggered the lenses, but they come out like new after about 30 mins each side.
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang:

Lance

Fogging headlight lenses

Post by Lance » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:52 pm

My 2003 Z4 headlights were really, and I mean really badly oxidised, one of my neighbours sorted the with very fine wet & dry and then a buffer and some paste (fine cutting compound?) and they look like new now. He also used a sealant afterwards to ensure that remain in good nick for as long as possible.

Prior to this I used toothpaste, solvo autosol and brasso! All worked, however I had the best results with brasso. Ideally a good couple of coats of wax after any of the above should keep the lenses looking good for a few months before another clean is needed.

Scott S

Fogging headlight lenses

Post by Scott S » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:10 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:02 pm When you say foggy, do you mean condensation or the actual glass/plastic is kinda not clear anymore?

If the later, don't they call that oxidisation?

Go with me here......toothpaste!!!!

And this is free!!!! Use normal toothpaste and your partners toothbrush :roll:

Loads of videos on youtube.

Can buy stuff in halfords as well.
The plastic isn't clear anymore.

parabolica

Fogging headlight lenses

Post by parabolica » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:46 pm

You can try the DIY methods mentioned above, or outfits like Autoglym have h/l restoration kits which aren't that expensive; I did my lights a few weeks ago and they've come up like new. However one of the units has deterioration on the inside of the plastic which obviously you can't get to without cracking the unit open, so that's a little annoying.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Fogging headlight lenses

Post by Ewazix » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:59 pm

Just take care if you use any kind of power rotary attachment when buffing, use a low speed and some lube as the lens heats up and can discolour the inside surface if you go at one spot too long. I did mine with a kit and sealant which has held up well.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

bz4kev

Fogging headlight lenses

Post by bz4kev » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:27 pm

As above mask area well and use a kit really easy to do yourself suggest either auto glym or 3m kit and follow the instructions results are spot on and I certainly would not pay someone to do such a simple job good luck :thumbsup:
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

noiseboy72

Fogging headlight lenses

Post by noiseboy72 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:09 pm

+1 for the 3M kit mine went from this:
Hazy Headlight.jpg
Hazy Headlight.jpg (170.15 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
To this in about 45 minutes per side. You use a battery drill - so as not to go too hard and just follow the instructions.
Attachments
Cleaned Headlight.jpg
Cleaned Headlight.jpg (199.87 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
E85 2.5si Sport in dark blue. Calibre CC S wheels

What could possibly go wrong!

Scott S

Fogging headlight lenses

Post by Scott S » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:58 pm

Hi All

I've do it.

T-cut and a buffering drill head.

Process: spray the headlight, just clean it off. Apply t-cut. Leave it to dry. Then use buffer head on cordless drill. This is to clear it off.

Did it three times on each light, if need be, then voila "job done" :thumbsup:

chrisgreen

Fogging headlight lenses

Post by chrisgreen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:56 am

Wet sand as above and I used autosol metal polish to bring out the scratches.
'04 E85 Z4 3.0 silver/black - daily driver :driving: - Sold
'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi
'05 E46 330d Touring - Silver Grey/Black