Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

SE Springs vs Eibachs anyone made the switch

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:20 am

philbo909 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:35 am So right now you have eibach fronts and SE rears? That's worth a picture
I'll try and sort one on some level ground. You'll have to excuse the scabby 107s
Last edited by MACK on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Zeddicus

Post by Zeddicus » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:02 pm

MACK wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:22 am Aesthetics wise I think mine looks more akin to a zed on M Sport suspension than one on SE due to the higher tyre sidewalls and the spacers pushing the wheels closer to the arches
I have also thought of this: install higher sidewalls tires instead of the original rears 35 / fronts 40, in order to improve the ride AND reduce the gap with the arches on SE suspension!

I have seen many non-M cars having M style 224 alloys, and if I am not mistaken these wheels have higher sidewalls (and larger rear) tires than the other 18" wheels. So there should be no rubbing issue to have for example Goodyear F1 Assymetrics 235/40R18 and 225/45R18 mounted?
My only question would be on the handling of the car, if there is any drawback with having these bigger rubbers installed... although there again, the Z4M have them, so I guess not.
Z4 3.0si Coupe 2007 - Sapphire Black

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:38 pm

Zeddicus wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:02 pm
MACK wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:22 am Aesthetics wise I think mine looks more akin to a zed on M Sport suspension than one on SE due to the higher tyre sidewalls and the spacers pushing the wheels closer to the arches
I have also thought of this: install higher sidewalls tires instead of the original rears 35 / fronts 40, in order to improve the ride AND reduce the gap with the arches on SE suspension!

I have seen many non-M cars having M style 224 alloys, and if I am not mistaken these wheels have higher sidewalls (and larger rear) tires than the other 18" wheels. So there should be no rubbing issue to have for example Goodyear F1 Assymetrics 235/40R18 and 225/45R18 mounted?
My only question would be on the handling of the car, if there is any drawback with having these bigger rubbers installed... although there again, the Z4M have them, so I guess not.
Hi,
To be fair, I think most of the non M zeds using the M 224 alloys on here are actually running the 225/40 255/35 standard tyre size, not the 225/45 255/40 M sizes. However quite a few on here use the M tyre size on 18" alloys without any rubbing issues, The rubbing issues come when you start changing the offset with spacers etc and are usually limited to the front. For example I had minimal rubbing with my knackered old M Sport suspension when used with the M tyre sizes and F15 R20MM spacers, which in combination gives a lower offset than the 224 alloys have. In fact most of the rubbing was down to bad shockers as when I fitted new shocks and the Eibach springs (15mm lower) the rubbing was far less. For me though the addition ride comfort when using M tyres more than makes up for any minor rubbing.
Handling wise as long as you have the geometry setup right the larger tyres make no difference other than to improve the ride quality and make the speedo more accurate.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Zeddicus

Post by Zeddicus » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:30 pm

I think I'll try the higher sidewalls next time I need new tires on my 203s. They may be a little bit more expensive, but not so much really, and if they achieve to make the gap less obvious in the wheel arches, plus with a little extra comfort, then two birds with one stone!
Mack, will you manage to share some pictures with us? :wink:

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:38 pm

Ok I've managed to take a few pics on level ground at a local supermarket. The pics are on my phone and I'm no photographer so apologises for the quality. In my rather biased :rofl: opinion I do honestly think the rear looks more akin to M Sport than SE with the M Spec tyres and F15 R20 spacers on. Also please bear in mind that on both factory suspensions the rear always looks a little higher than the front
EIBACH VS SE a.jpg
EIBACH VS SE a.jpg (176.52 KiB) Viewed 707 times
eibach vs se 2 a.jpg
eibach vs se 2 a.jpg (85.72 KiB) Viewed 705 times

I've just had a look around the forum for cars I know are on SE and M Sport suspension and copied a couple of pics into here for comparison purposes. I hope the owners dont mind
First up its Marlons SE spec suspension
Marlon SE suspension.jpg
Marlon SE suspension.jpg (193.27 KiB) Viewed 709 times
Next one is mjennings23 M Sport spec suspension
mjennings 23.jpg
mjennings 23.jpg (406.18 KiB) Viewed 709 times
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

philbo909

Post by philbo909 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:50 pm

Yeh looks fine with SE and //M tyre size, an msport arch gap :thumbsup:
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:56 pm

Doesn't look as bad as I thought it would :thumbsup: not as nice as the top photo, but certainly not 4x4 stance.

I think M Sport is a good compromise between the 2. I may fit my M Sport rear springs to check the difference myself.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:10 pm

philbo909 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:50 pm Yeh looks fine with SE and //M tyre size, an msport arch gap :thumbsup:
ben g wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:56 pm Doesn't look as bad as I thought it would :thumbsup: not as nice as the top photo, but certainly not 4x4 stance.

I think M Sport is a good compromise between the 2. I may fit my M Sport rear springs to check the difference myself.
I'm going to get some Suplex SE front springs ordered and once they're on I make a final decision on how it ride/handles/looks and whether to stick with the SE or go back to the Eibachs.
Once I've made my mind up on the springs front I'm going to try some 245/40 and 215/45 tyres as a half way house option between the M spec and the standard ones. Again it will come down to how it rides/handles/looks
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:39 am

ben g wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:56 pm Doesn't look as bad as I thought it would :thumbsup: not as nice as the top photo, but certainly not 4x4 stance.

Just re read your comment Ben, sorry I didn't pick up on it initially but what do you mean by "its not as nice as the top photo" its got me a bit stumped.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:39 am

MACK wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:39 am

Just re read your comment Ben, sorry I didn't pick up on it initially but what do you mean by "its not as nice as the top photo" its got me a bit stumped.
I assumed the top photo was with eibach rear springs fitted? It looks lower than the 2nd photo. Perhaps it's the sunlight playing tricks?
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:35 am

ben g wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:39 am
MACK wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:39 am

I assumed the top photo was with eibach rear springs fitted? It looks lower than the 2nd photo. Perhaps it's the sunlight playing tricks?
I see what you mean now. No both photos were taken with a few minutes of each other at the same car park. It does seen a bigger gap in the second photo though. Strange as both parking areas seemed flat
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

Zeddicus

Post by Zeddicus » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:23 am

Looks good to me! Seems better than the standard SE with the arches filled nicely. Are you happy with the ride too?

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:18 am

Zeddicus wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:23 am Looks good to me! Seems better than the standard SE with the arches filled nicely. Are you happy with the ride too?
The ride is definitely better, but its difficult to tell how much influence the front is having on general ride quality on the move at a decent pace at the moment. At very slow speeds and over slow bumps/road humps in particular where you can easily distinguish front to rear, its clearly much better. I guess I wont really know until I've fitted the matching front springs. I've ordered some, just waiting for them to arrive now.
The tyres are definitely helping to fill the wheel arches. I suppose that shouldn't come as a surprise, the M Spec tyres have sidewalls that are Fronts 11mm & Rear 13mm taller than the standard zed ones, so that's most of the extra 15mm of ride height SE suspension has over M Sport taken care of. Then the added effect of the spacers pushing the wheels closer to the arches further reduces the visual gap.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:11 pm

Well finally found a bit of time to get the fronts on. The ride is without a doubt now much better than with the Eibachs on, or indeed the 50/50 mix (eibach fronts/se rears) I had on for a few weeks.
However there is a slight drawback, inevitably there is a bit more body roll when fast/hard cornering, but its not too bad really. You dont notice it too much during normal corning. Roll wise its probably on a par with my original setup of old knakered OEM M Sports shocks and springs.
I'm going to trial this set up over the next few weeks or so before making a final decision. During that time I'm hoping to get a good few A/B road blasts in and then see what I think.
Got to say though I'm really liking this improved ride quality, its now very similar to my wife's F21 M Sport in terms of ride quality. That's also on 18" wheels and F 225/40 R 245/40 Non Runflat Tyres.

Here's a few pics of it with SE Spring on all around. Note please remember its also running M Spec tyre sizes and F15 R20 spacers
ELLIPSOIDS ON SE SPRINGS M SPEC TYRES 4.jpg
ELLIPSOIDS ON SE SPRINGS M SPEC TYRES 4.jpg (203.24 KiB) Viewed 611 times
ELLIPSOIDS ON SE SPRINGS M SPEC TYRES 6.jpg
ELLIPSOIDS ON SE SPRINGS M SPEC TYRES 6.jpg (202.89 KiB) Viewed 611 times
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:30 pm

I don't think I could live with that arch gap, personally. But it would be nice to have a more comfortable ride.