Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Which mod for a bit more growl and a bit more grunt?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
redtailed78

Post by redtailed78 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Is there anyone in the Scotland area that does these back box mods, is there much of a sound difference between this and the back box delete?
2006 3.0lSi Sport :driving:
19" 313 alloys
Brembo Brake Upgrade
K&N Panel Filter
Back Box Delete

greg81

Post by greg81 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:40 pm

redtailed78 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:17 pm Is there anyone in the Scotland area that does these back box mods, is there much of a sound difference between this and the back box delete?
Where are you based? You're more than welcome to hear mine in Edinburgh

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:56 am

Chris1981 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:03 am I've had extensive exhaust work done on my coupe and it's insanely loud... actually it's too loud but it's a lot of fun!! :evil:

I've had the front silencer removed and replaced with a Y-Pipe and a running a very small free flowing back box, it gurggles, pops and bangs and sounds incredible at high revs.... i originally had a much quieter back box with this Y-Pipe system but wasn't happy so got this smaller one made up, the car was so much more responsive after fitting the free flowing box and revs quicker than it did previously! That could just be due to the first box being too restrictive though!
Got any vids of that exhaust?
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

redtailed78

Post by redtailed78 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:53 am

greg81 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:40 pm
redtailed78 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:17 pm Is there anyone in the Scotland area that does these back box mods, is there much of a sound difference between this and the back box delete?
Where are you based? You're more than welcome to hear mine in Edinburgh
nice one, I'm in Cumbernauld, we will be heading over to East Fortune at 2 as we are taking father in law to the supercar experience although maybe take the other car if the weather doesn't clear up :thumbsdown:

I'll maybe catch you on one of the upcoming meets :thumbsup:
2006 3.0lSi Sport :driving:
19" 313 alloys
Brembo Brake Upgrade
K&N Panel Filter
Back Box Delete

Chris1981

Post by Chris1981 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:28 pm

R60BBA wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:56 am
Chris1981 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:03 am I've had extensive exhaust work done on my coupe and it's insanely loud... actually it's too loud but it's a lot of fun!! :evil:

I've had the front silencer removed and replaced with a Y-Pipe and a running a very small free flowing back box, it gurggles, pops and bangs and sounds incredible at high revs.... i originally had a much quieter back box with this Y-Pipe system but wasn't happy so got this smaller one made up, the car was so much more responsive after fitting the free flowing box and revs quicker than it did previously! That could just be due to the first box being too restrictive though!
Got any vids of that exhaust?
Nothing I want to upload to the internet really... got an in car video using my phone the mic is a bit shite but you get the gist, I can take a static video later and send you via email/whatsapp, drop me a pm with your email address or number!
E86 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey with Piano Black dash
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

m7xeg

Post by m7xeg » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:04 pm

I’d like to get the DLV mod on my z4. After more sound from the stock back box!

Has anyone had their secondary cats removed with the mod too? Videos sound great with it
BMW Z4 3.0i E85, Black Sapphire • Backbox Delete • Stubby • HIDs • Led fogs • Clear third brake light • LED boot strip • Wheel spacers • Yellow calipers • ZHP

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:05 pm

I just had the back box cut open and the pipes joined straight through. Nice sound with pops and bangs :driving: No problems with MOT afterwards, though the tester asked if I'd modded because it sounded different.
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

m7xeg

Post by m7xeg » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:25 pm

DMC63 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:05 pm I just had the back box cut open and the pipes joined straight through. Nice sound with pops and bangs :driving: No problems with MOT afterwards, though the tester asked if I'd modded because it sounded different.
Where did you get your box modded out of interest?
BMW Z4 3.0i E85, Black Sapphire • Backbox Delete • Stubby • HIDs • Led fogs • Clear third brake light • LED boot strip • Wheel spacers • Yellow calipers • ZHP

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:19 pm

m7xeg wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:25 pm
DMC63 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:05 pm I just had the back box cut open and the pipes joined straight through. Nice sound with pops and bangs :driving: No problems with MOT afterwards, though the tester asked if I'd modded because it sounded different.
Where did you get your box modded out of interest?
Had it done by 'PCW Exhausts' Pauls car welding Milton Keynes. He's really quick and an impeccable job, took an hour. Can't remember what it cost... Sounds very tight and sporty without sounding like it's about to explode.

I think there's a forum member that lives in Liverpool who does them for mail order. Only downside is you have to cut your exhaust in half and use a collar, clamps and gunk to connect the modded box back on... I wanted mine done in one piece but that my OCD :oops:
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

drewski429

Post by drewski429 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:24 pm

Having my 2004 Z4 M54 3.0i totaled was the worst, I miss that engine --- but the 2006 Z4 N52 3.0si has been good to me. Here is what I have learned. Also, I'm in Texas, so the suppliers I will list for parts/tune are in USA.

Skip to the bottom for power upgrades. And yes, do the sound generator mod, I recommend removing the larger of the two foam inserts.

Bought the car with 39,000 miles in 2014, today it is just a hair over 76,000 miles. Some mechanic tips: First thing was wheel bearings and CDV delete. For wheel bearings, buying the actual BMW special bearing press tool is the best thing I ever did. Next was the ZHP weighted shift knob. Hawk ceramic brake pads for low dust, or any of their performance pads are even better, USR black slotted rotors - do it. Next, one of the two DISA valves failed and my Oil Separator Valve needed replaced. DO NOT use the aluminum DISA rebuild kit from i6automotive. I did it to both large and small units, including buying formic acid to properly re-seal the valve enclosures... they were an utter failure with the extra weight - even testing them using the BMW factory diagnostic software proved they were problematic, just buy new DISAs. For lifter tapping, use Liqui-Moly hydraulic lifter additive, I've tried everything else with only consistent results from their product. Also, I recommend using their Ceratec treatment, it really does protect the engine if something like a water pump failure or coolant leak happens, or like me, the oil drain plug comes off a mile from home and you don't realize until you pull into the garage and the last 3 liters of oil pool under your car.

Power Upgrades, all done in the last 6 months after 4 years of no mods:

aFe Power Magnum Pro5 "Cold" air intake kit - this made a glorious difference to sounds and improves throttle response. It has a heat shield but I wouldn't necessarily call it "cold" air --- afepower.com

Bavarian Autosports high performance ignition coils - These make quite a noticeable difference in spark, revs drop faster which is wonderful for manual gearboxes. Even if you use the OEM spark plugs or NGK laser iridium upgrade, or the next item on my list, it is a better experience and there is a new level of howl and growl. Don't waste your money on other costly coil "upgrades" such as the brand name Ignition Projects, they are not better than BavAuto --- https://www.bavauto.com/mini-ignition-coil-5005

BERU racing spark plugs Part#FGR-6DDU - I am just telling you, with the better coils, these are unbelievably better than Bosch or NGK plugs, perform perfectly in extreme conditions both cold, wet or very hot including extended track use, these are in Turner Motorsport GT3 and other race cars.

Turner Motorsport ECU Tune - This is the real key to success, a tune which has been tweaked over long periods of racing N52 3-stage intake engines. Turner has a very valuable history of experience with this naturally aspirated i6, and the ECU tune for around $600 USD is by far worth the money. It is NOT to be used with aftermarket long tube headers, is meant to be run with the factory pre-cats, and they will give you different tunes depending on intake and exhaust cat-back or resonator/muffler mods. --- https://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-E8 ... 005-models

The combination of intake and ignition upgrades and this fuel/air/timing/throttle/DISA re-map (keep in mind my exhaust is fully stock), makes near as much 300 crank horsepower, and brings a bigger smile to my face than when I first bought it. It really is a new animal, and after 25 minutes of full chat on-track racing, flames begin to shoot out the back. (they must have added fuel to the areas on the map where air flow is reduced for engine cooling, when the exhaust is very hot and the fuel ignites, this is a great effect)

ionofchios

Post by ionofchios » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:57 pm

drewski429 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:24 pm Having my 2004 Z4 M54 3.0i totaled was the worst, I miss that engine --- but the 2006 Z4 N52 3.0si has been good to me. Here is what I have learned. Also, I'm in Texas, so the suppliers I will list for parts/tune are in USA.

Skip to the bottom for power upgrades. And yes, do the sound generator mod, I recommend removing the larger of the two foam inserts.

Bought the car with 39,000 miles in 2014, today it is just a hair over 76,000 miles. Some mechanic tips: First thing was wheel bearings and CDV delete. For wheel bearings, buying the actual BMW special bearing press tool is the best thing I ever did. Next was the ZHP weighted shift knob. Hawk ceramic brake pads for low dust, or any of their performance pads are even better, USR black slotted rotors - do it. Next, one of the two DISA valves failed and my Oil Separator Valve needed replaced. DO NOT use the aluminum DISA rebuild kit from i6automotive. I did it to both large and small units, including buying formic acid to properly re-seal the valve enclosures... they were an utter failure with the extra weight - even testing them using the BMW factory diagnostic software proved they were problematic, just buy new DISAs. For lifter tapping, use Liqui-Moly hydraulic lifter additive, I've tried everything else with only consistent results from their product. Also, I recommend using their Ceratec treatment, it really does protect the engine if something like a water pump failure or coolant leak happens, or like me, the oil drain plug comes off a mile from home and you don't realize until you pull into the garage and the last 3 liters of oil pool under your car.

Power Upgrades, all done in the last 6 months after 4 years of no mods:

aFe Power Magnum Pro5 "Cold" air intake kit - this made a glorious difference to sounds and improves throttle response. It has a heat shield but I wouldn't necessarily call it "cold" air --- afepower.com

Bavarian Autosports high performance ignition coils - These make quite a noticeable difference in spark, revs drop faster which is wonderful for manual gearboxes. Even if you use the OEM spark plugs or NGK laser iridium upgrade, or the next item on my list, it is a better experience and there is a new level of howl and growl. Don't waste your money on other costly coil "upgrades" such as the brand name Ignition Projects, they are not better than BavAuto --- https://www.bavauto.com/mini-ignition-coil-5005

BERU racing spark plugs Part#FGR-6DDU - I am just telling you, with the better coils, these are unbelievably better than Bosch or NGK plugs, perform perfectly in extreme conditions both cold, wet or very hot including extended track use, these are in Turner Motorsport GT3 and other race cars.

Turner Motorsport ECU Tune - This is the real key to success, a tune which has been tweaked over long periods of racing N52 3-stage intake engines. Turner has a very valuable history of experience with this naturally aspirated i6, and the ECU tune for around $600 USD is by far worth the money. It is NOT to be used with aftermarket long tube headers, is meant to be run with the factory pre-cats, and they will give you different tunes depending on intake and exhaust cat-back or resonator/muffler mods. --- https://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-E8 ... 005-models

The combination of intake and ignition upgrades and this fuel/air/timing/throttle/DISA re-map (keep in mind my exhaust is fully stock), makes near as much 300 crank horsepower, and brings a bigger smile to my face than when I first bought it. It really is a new animal, and after 25 minutes of full chat on-track racing, flames begin to shoot out the back. (they must have added fuel to the areas on the map where air flow is reduced for engine cooling, when the exhaust is very hot and the fuel ignites, this is a great effect)
Good stuff - might try some of these!