Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wiper issues

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Simonswheels

Wiper issues

Post by Simonswheels » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:52 pm

I have a 2003 Z4 and the wipers don't seem to be doing what they ought to. Push stork up one click and intermittent works as does the veritable roller. push it up again and its another intermittent but roller switch has no effect. Push it up into position three and wipers are at normal speed but there's no fast speed. I don't think it has rain sensors so what's going on?.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Wiper issues

Post by ben g » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:32 pm

The 2nd push up on the stork should enable a constant slow wipe.

The highest level on the stork (position 3) should be the crazy fast speed.

So for some reason your wipers are out of sync. Maybe it's muck on the motor that needs wiping off? It's quite simple to remove the scuttle panel to see the wiper mechanism.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Wiper issues

Post by patriot66 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:55 am

Didn't they all have rain sensors ? Look behind the rear view mirror on the windscreen and you should see the sensor. This can delaminate from the glass and render the sensor useless. The first click up engages the sensor and the wheel adjusts it's sensitivity. If the sensor is not functioning then the wheel just alters the intermittent time gaps. Next click up is slow constant and next fast constant.
My sensor has delaminated and this is how mine is now functioning. I bought a new double sided adhesive clear pad for the sensor but just haven't got round to fitting it yet. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Wiper issues

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:23 am

patriot66 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:55 am Didn't they all have rain sensors ? Look behind the rear view mirror on the windscreen and you should see the sensor. This can delaminate from the glass and render the sensor useless. The first click up engages the sensor and the wheel adjusts it's sensitivity. If the sensor is not functioning then the wheel just alters the intermittent time gaps. Next click up is slow constant and next fast constant.
My sensor has delaminated and this is how mine is now functioning. I bought a new double sided adhesive clear pad for the sensor but just haven't got round to fitting it yet. :thumbsup:
No. Mine doesn't have it at all. Was an option.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Wiper issues

Post by patriot66 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:47 am

Monkeydonkeyratmagic wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:23 am
patriot66 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:55 am Didn't they all have rain sensors ? Look behind the rear view mirror on the windscreen and you should see the sensor. This can delaminate from the glass and render the sensor useless. The first click up engages the sensor and the wheel adjusts it's sensitivity. If the sensor is not functioning then the wheel just alters the intermittent time gaps. Next click up is slow constant and next fast constant.
No. Mine doesn't have it at all. Was an option.
I stand corrected. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

adam04

Wiper issues

Post by adam04 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:49 am

When you say the second push up is still intermittent- are you moving at the time?

The wipers are programmed (can be modified) to slow/go to intermittent when the car is at slow speeds. When you speed up they will go back to their normal operation.
2003 E85 3.0i Auto Titanium Silver / Aerobody Kit / Cruise / Xenons / Cupholders....

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Wiper issues

Post by ben g » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:37 am

adam04 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:49 am When you say the second push up is still intermittent- are you moving at the time?

The wipers are programmed (can be modified) to slow/go to intermittent when the car is at slow speeds. When you speed up they will go back to their normal operation.
Very good point. Forgot about that.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

AndyS

Wiper issues

Post by AndyS » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:22 pm

Are you stationary when trying this by any chance?

Sorry.... just read the post above! :headbang:
2016 Alpine White E89 20i M Sport

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Wiper issues

Post by kis » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:56 pm

My rain sensor wasn't working either but wouldn't "auto" wiper. Every time you wanted to clear it, you'd have to manually click the stalk. Much like when you click the stalk down for a single swipe. So interesting to see your wiper functions still retain function, well sort off!

OP because you have some functionality I'd think it wasn't the RLS. Maybe a bad stalk or too much gunk in the wiper motor like mentioned previously.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71