Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Key locked in boot! Spare key?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
dunks

Post by dunks » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:31 pm

Guys, managed to lock my key in the boot, whilst the doors were locked.

My GF is posting the spare key tomorrow, but the spare key looks like this:

From memory it's not got any buttons on it. Does this look familiar to anyone? It doesnt seem to resemble any of the keys I've looked at on Google when looking for spare Z4 emergency keys.

Cheers,
Last edited by dunks on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dunks

Post by dunks » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:37 pm

Found this.

It looks like an E36 key body, but with the key cutting of an E85/E86.

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:49 pm

Surely the buttons don’t matter as there is a manual keyhole to unlock via the key(when it arrives) Or am I missing something?

I’ve not seen a key like that tho, it’s either the “diamond” or the little plastic “wallet” key that I’ve seen. Although might have been different with pre facelift cars?

dunks

Post by dunks » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:09 pm

Yeah, I won't need the buttons, but I'm just wondering why the key doesn't have any, it looks pretty odd.

Like you said, it's usually the diamond master keys, which the one in boot is, or the tiny plastic wallet key I don't have.

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:12 pm

Yea seems a strange 1, hopefully previous owner just got a spare cut in that style!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:20 pm

I had an E46 Compact that came with 1 original key and one spare that looked just like yours OP.

And sure enough I also managed to lock the main key in the boot, but at least I was at home!

Went and got the "spare" key - the button on it just operated a light so I put it in the lock. It did unlock it, but as soon as I opened the door the alarm went off so it obviously wasn't coded to the car. Still I was able to open the boot and turn the alarm off with the proper key before any neighbours came out to see what was going on! :lol:

Your profile doesn't mention your location, but for future reference ducklakeview cuts and codes keys (among many other useful things).

I think he is now based in Warrington - he did this one for me last year. Apologies for the poor photo quality, but hopefully you get the idea!
Attachments
dlv Key.JPG
dlv Key.JPG (101.8 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

dunks

Post by dunks » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:26 pm

I'm in Nottingham/Derby through the week, and London at the weekend. Unfortunately the spare key is in London!

Seems there's a few places local that claim to be able to gain entry via lock picking any BWM, so there's always that if this key is a dud!

dunks

Post by dunks » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:28 pm

JINGLE wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:12 pm Yea seems a strange 1, hopefully previous owner just got a spare cut in that style!
With what Mr Tidy has said, hopefully! It might just be a cheap key cut without any coding.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:39 pm

dunks wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:26 pm I'm in Nottingham/Derby through the week, and London at the weekend. Unfortunately the spare key is in London!

Seems there's a few places local that claim to be able to gain entry via lock picking any BWM, so there's always that if this key is a dud!
Your other option for getting a proper spare key may be "bmkeys" - no website but they are based in East London.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Z4 COUPSTER

Post by Z4 COUPSTER » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:41 pm

Could it be a Valet key? Opens doors but not glove box and boot. I've seen on other cars, maybe was optional to order.
:thumbsup: Z in da Head.
3.0i Z3 sport,sapphire black,3.0i Z4 roadster Sterling grey,auto,Z4 3.0si Coupe Titanium silver,Stubby &B06 Plus some other German beauties!!

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:57 am

dunks wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:26 pm I'm in Nottingham/Derby through the week, and London at the weekend. Unfortunately the spare key is in London!

If you know where in the boot the key is you can quite easily get yourself. Involves removing the bumper at one side or the other and gsin8ng access via the vent on either side. Been done before on here and not that long ago from memory.

dunks

Post by dunks » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:18 am

srhutch wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:57 am

If you know where in the boot the key is you can quite easily get yourself. Involves removing the bumper at one side or the other and gsin8ng access via the vent on either side. Been done before on here and not that long ago from memory.
It's sitting in a Nottinghamshire retail car park at the moment, and all my tools are down in London and I'd probably make a complete mess of it and make it worse :D :cry: . Been quoted £96 + vat to gain entry, I think i'll take my chances getting the key posted up 1st class today!

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:45 pm

8mm spanner and a small screwdriver is all that is required for future reference.

dunks

Post by dunks » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:22 pm

srhutch wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:45 pm 8mm spanner and a small screwdriver is all that is required for future reference.

Ooh, is that it? Any need to remove the wheels to get at the wheel arch liners?

dunks

Post by dunks » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:45 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:20 pm I had an E46 Compact that came with 1 original key and one spare that looked just like yours OP.

And sure enough I also managed to lock the main key in the boot, but at least I was at home!

Went and got the "spare" key - the button on it just operated a light so I put it in the lock. It did unlock it, but as soon as I opened the door the alarm went off so it obviously wasn't coded to the car. Still I was able to open the boot and turn the alarm off with the proper key before any neighbours came out to see what was going on! :lol:

Your profile doesn't mention your location, but for future reference ducklakeview cuts and codes keys (among many other useful things).

I think he is now based in Warrington - he did this one for me last year. Apologies for the poor photo quality, but hopefully you get the idea!
Turns out my key did exactly the same! Opened the boot and the alarm went off until I used the other keys remote unlock! :thumbsup: