Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

List of people able to fix sticky steering

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
andystone

Post by andystone » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:35 pm

Afternoon all, I’m looking for someone capable of fixing my sticky steering (I haven’t the confidence to try myself), and thought it might be useful to have a list of people who are able to do this (similar to roof motor relocation). What you think? Anyway anyone near to Yeovil who can help me fix this problem? Few beers as payment?
6BA34EB9-B041-4DA0-A2BF-83A9EC35D40B.jpeg
6BA34EB9-B041-4DA0-A2BF-83A9EC35D40B.jpeg (135.02 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
406DEBAA-563D-4AC6-AF2E-ACFBA7B0C1E7.jpeg
406DEBAA-563D-4AC6-AF2E-ACFBA7B0C1E7.jpeg (134.99 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
2005 e85 z4, 2.5

IRD

Post by IRD » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:54 pm

:thumbsup:Gets my vote. This would be really helpful for those of us who have suffered from this problem.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:59 pm

The adjustment is such an easy thing to do that if you dont want to attempt it yourself then any decent mechanic will be able to do it very easily. You would just have to clue them in to what you want doing.
Giving them the technical bulletin posted above would more than suffice
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:32 pm

andystone I'm not too far from you (Burnham on Sea) and would be happy to help. The only thing is, I've made a few adjustments to my own car in this way but it hasnt resolved the sticky steering yet. My total adjustment is pretty big, so I'll be trying the drill and spray grease method later this week to see if that wins out. Provided I get a positive solution I'd be willing to help.

I agree that a list of willing helpers could be handy as this is pretty much the second biggest problem after the roof issue, and the roof issue doesn't render the car slightly dangerous!
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:42 pm

Still not 100% sure what this 'sticky steering' actually feels like. Mine likes to twitch at motorway speeds, to the point where I can take my hands off the wheel and the steering wheel will physically move left and right of it's own accord.

It doesn't make for enjoyable journies. It feels as if I'm constantly fighting to keep the steering wheel straight.

Is that sticky steering?
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

dans6490

Post by dans6490 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:14 pm

+1 Ben

From what I’ve read, the above can correct this.

I’ve changed pretty much everything front end and although it’s massively better, I still get the twitching at 70mph.

The last thing to try is this and although I’ll try most things, I’m thinking that paying someone who’s already done it is my best option.

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:30 pm

Sticky steering doesn't send your steering wheel off course as such, it feels as though someone is gripping your steering column with mole grips as soon as you stop moving the steering wheel. It is most noticeable on hot days, particularly if the car has been sitting in direct sun for a period of time and then you come to drive it. Minor steering corrections are difficult because you have to fight to overcome the stiction. The second you break free of the stiction, you're now applying too much torque to the column and suddenly you're also applying more lock than you wanted. Rather than finely adjusting the car's course inch by inch you'll be veering left and right by half a foot or more at a time. Not pleasant.

If your car is wandering around but the steering wheel is always nice and free to turn, it's more likely that you have run flat tyres fitted and/or you have worn suspension bushes and/or your wheel alignment needs attention.
Last edited by wonkydonkey on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

crabbes

Post by crabbes » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:31 pm

I would also be keen to have someone look at my steering as it sometimes feels heavy and groans occasionally, mostly when it’s a really hot day?

:thumbsdown:

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Hi Andystone. Would you have a link to the rest of those Tech.Bulletin instructions please? :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:46 pm

ben g wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:42 pm Still not 100% sure what this 'sticky steering' actually feels like. Mine likes to twitch at motorway speeds, to the point where I can take my hands off the wheel and the steering wheel will physically move left and right of it's own accord.

It doesn't make for enjoyable journies. It feels as if I'm constantly fighting to keep the steering wheel straight.

Is that sticky steering?
Ben have you ever had your rear trailing arm bushes done, or even fitted a limiting kit? Im wondering if this could be causing your issue etc
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:51 pm

MACK wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:46 pm
ben g wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:42 pm Still not 100% sure what this 'sticky steering' actually feels like. Mine likes to twitch at motorway speeds, to the point where I can take my hands off the wheel and the steering wheel will physically move left and right of it's own accord.

Is that sticky steering?
Ben have you ever had your rear trailing arm bushes done, or even fitted a limiting kit? Im wondering if this could be causing your issue etc
I have had my rtab's replaced with superpro poly bushes, but haven't a clue what a limiting kit is.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:11 pm

ben g wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:51 pm
MACK wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:46 pm

Is that sticky steering?
I have had my rtab's replaced with superpro poly bushes, but haven't a clue what a limiting kit is.
Its a kit for standard bushes but you wont need it seeing as you have the poly stuff.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:56 pm

MACK wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:11 pm Its a kit for standard bushes but you wont need it seeing as you have the poly stuff.
Oh right, thanks. I even Googled it and couldn't figure it out :lol:

I've had it checked out and they said it's fine, but of course they didn't test drive it, so perhaps that's what's needed?

Just another thing to add to the never ending list :headbang:

andystone

Post by andystone » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:29 pm

wonkydonkey wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:32 pm andystone I'm not too far from you (Burnham on Sea) and would be happy to help. The only thing is, I've made a few adjustments to my own car in this way but it hasnt resolved the sticky steering yet. My total adjustment is pretty big, so I'll be trying the drill and spray grease method later this week to see if that wins out. Provided I get a positive solution I'd be willing to help.

I agree that a list of willing helpers could be handy as this is pretty much the second biggest problem after the roof issue, and the roof issue doesn't render the car slightly dangerous!
Hi wonky, mine is only an issue when the air temp gets to mid 20’s, as it was yesterday! From what I’ve read this is the best solution, but keen to know how you get on!
2005 e85 z4, 2.5

andystone

Post by andystone » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:30 pm

patriot66 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:37 pm Hi Andystone. Would you have a link to the rest of those Tech.Bulletin instructions please? :thumbsup:
That’s all I have bud; probably why I’m not so keen to attempt it myself!
2005 e85 z4, 2.5