Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

List of people able to fix sticky steering

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:33 pm

andystone wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:30 pm
patriot66 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:37 pm Hi Andystone. Would you have a link to the rest of those Tech.Bulletin instructions please? :thumbsup:
That’s all I have bud; probably why I’m not so keen to attempt it myself!
Fair enough Andy. I'll have a search around. Thanks :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:43 pm

wonkydonkey wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:30 pm Sticky steering doesn't send your steering wheel off course as such, it feels as though someone is gripping your steering column with mole grips as soon as you stop moving the steering wheel. It is most noticeable on hot days, particularly if the car has been sitting in direct sun for a period of time and then you come to drive it. Minor steering corrections are difficult because you have to fight to overcome the stiction. The second you break free of the stiction, you're now applying too much torque to the column and suddenly you're also applying more lock than you wanted. Rather than finely adjusting the car's course inch by inch you'll be veering left and right by half a foot or more at a time. Not pleasant.

If your car is wandering around but the steering wheel is always nice and free to turn, it's more likely that you have run flat tyres fitted and/or you have worn suspension bushes and/or your wheel alignment needs attention.
Thanks for the explanation. That's definitely something I've never felt in my 6 years of ownership, thank god!

I have vredestein vorti non run-flats fitted (always have), replaced my suspension bushes (lollypops and rtab's) and had a 4 wheel hunter alignment done last month. This car :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

greg81

Post by greg81 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:48 pm

When I have my wheel straight it's definitely sticks a little and you need you give it a pull to make small adjustments.

Definitely not much effort required though and it doesn't feel like the column is being gripped. I'm guessing this could be the start?

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:49 pm

ben g have you had the front top mounts checked out? And your steering UJs? Track rod ends? Is the rack definitely still solidly fixed to the car?
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:50 pm

greg81 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:48 pm When I have my wheel straight it's definitely sticks a little and you need you give it a pull to make small adjustments.

Definitely not much effort required though and it doesn't feel like the column is being gripped. I'm guessing this could be the start?
That sounds like it Greg. I was likening that resistance you've described to someone gripping the column, resisting your steering inputs.
Previous:

<My name is James>

andystone

Post by andystone » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:50 pm

patriot66 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:33 pm
andystone wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:30 pm
patriot66 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:37 pm Hi Andystone. Would you have a link to the rest of those Tech.Bulletin instructions please? :thumbsup:
That’s all I have bud; probably why I’m not so keen to attempt it myself!
Fair enough Andy. I'll have a search around. Thanks :thumbsup:
If you find more can you let me know?
2005 e85 z4, 2.5

bony_13

Post by bony_13 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:09 pm

crabbes wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:31 pm I would also be keen to have someone look at my steering as it sometimes feels heavy and groans occasionally, mostly when it’s a really hot day?

:thumbsdown:
I have exactly the same as you. I have sprayed lubricant onto the rack either side of the firewall and it hasn't groaned in 2 months since. Steering still feels heavier than it used to though.

Has anyone got a good picture of the 'drill and grease nipple' hole location? I have researched threads but all pictures seem to have gone since the demise of photobucket.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:48 pm

bony_13 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:09 pm
crabbes wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:31 pm I would also be keen to have someone look at my steering as it sometimes feels heavy and groans occasionally, mostly when it’s a really hot day?

:thumbsdown:
I have exactly the same as you. I have sprayed lubricant onto the rack either side of the firewall and it hasn't groaned in 2 months since. Steering still feels heavier than it used to though.

Has anyone got a good picture of the 'drill and grease nipple' hole location? I have researched threads but all pictures seem to have gone since the demise of photobucket.
try looking again.. photobucket is alive again with new ownership.. all those old posts with no pics should be working again :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:06 pm

image.jpeg

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:24 pm

I decided to drill and lubricate my column tonight. I turned the wheel from lock to lock a few times to work the Wurth HHS 2000 around but even on a cool day it still felt a bit sticky. I decided to investigate further as the grease clearly made no difference.

With the car on axle stands it was easier to feel what the steering was doing. I decided to play with the eccentric adjustor again while the wheels were off the ground. This way, the relationship between the adjustor and the steering feel was very clear. I was able to feel the following:

- Drag on the column increasing to a horrible notchy point when adjusting the bottom of the ring towards the rear of the car.

- Drag on the column decreasing to a light-as-a-feather point (but with increasing amounts of slop) when adjusting the bottom of the ring towards the front of the car.

It appears that my initial adjustments a few weeks ago were in the wrong direction, having followed some instructions to the letter. Hopefully I can set the record straight soon and give everyone a clear and repeatable process to follow. I'll report back but am now much more confident that this will work after my initial error!
Last edited by wonkydonkey on Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous:

<My name is James>

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:48 pm

Post edited so as not to encourage people to drill their columns. This isn't the fix.
Last edited by wonkydonkey on Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Previous:

<My name is James>

andystone

Post by andystone » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:02 pm

wonkydonkey wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:24 pm I decided to drill and lubricate my column tonight. I turned the wheel from lock to lock a few times to work the Wurth HHS 2000 around but even on a cool day it still felt a bit sticky. I decided to investigate further.

With the car on axle stands it was easier to feel what the steering was doing. I decided to play with the eccentric adjustor again while the wheels were off the ground. This way, the relationship between the adjustor and the steering feel was very clear. I was able to feel the following:

- Drag on the column increasing to a horrible notchy point by adjusting bottom of the ring towards the rear of the car.

- Drag on the column decreasing to a light-as-a-feather (but with increasing amounts of slop) point by adjusting the bottom of the ring towards the front of the car.

I decided to make it more scientific than guess work, with a view to being able to carry out this adjustment repeatably for other people in a way that will give them approximately the same column drag that I have.

I attached some weights to one side of my steering wheel, having found a sweet spot on the adjustor ring that felt right. At this sweet spot, the steering wheel can juuuust about hold itself in the horizontal position, but not quite. I made a video but won't upload it until I've been able to test drive the car - hopefully the end of next week (no front bumper at the moment).

It appears that my initial adjustments a few weeks ago were in the wrong direction, having followed some instructions to the letter. Hopefully I can set the record straight soon and give everyone a clear and repeatable process to follow. I'll report back but am now much more confident that this will work after my initial error!
Sounds promising!
2005 e85 z4, 2.5

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:02 pm

Okay, I've now tested the car out following my adjustments...and it's good news! :D Straight away the steering felt free, light and responsive. For the first time I can relax my hands on the wheel and even drive one-handed without fearing for my life. It tramlines a little more easily now, but that's purely because there isn't an inherent stiction in the column preventing it. Also the wheel alignment hasn't been checked yet (I only bought the car last month) but that's happening on Friday.

The car sat in today's 30+°C heatwave for over 8 hours. Getting into the car was almost unbearable, so it was a thorough test of the steering. Last time I used the car it had sat in 20°C sun for 8 hours and the steering was bordering on dangerous. Today, being hyper critical and sensitive, I was ever so slightly aware of a smidge of drag on the column after all that heat. It's barely noticeable and doesn't even compare to how it felt beforehand, even how it used to feel on a cool evening below 10°C. Will I be adjusting it further? Not unless I have the trim panel off for some other reason. I'm happy (and majorly relieved).

A forum member has contacted me about dialling out the sticky steering on his friend's car this Friday so I will employ my measured technique again and will hopefully get the same result.

:D :D :D :D :D
Previous:

<My name is James>

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:14 pm

Drilling and fitting a grease nipple is a BAD idea for several reasons..

Firstly, no matter how careful you are, you'll introduce swarf into the system. This is bad, because the "wheel" on the shaft is made from a plastic compound, and as such will be damaged by the swarf.

Secondly, once the wheel expands due to heat (which is what causes the problem) it will simply force the grease out from between it and the metal pinion on the motor.

Finally, as the shaft doesn't have an oil seal at the bottom, you risk the grease ending up in both the internal torque sensor, AND the externally fitted angle sensor. The former cannot be replaced without repalcing the column, the latter is a £175 part to replace.

The correct procedure is adjustment and trial.

BTW, these are just my thoughts, and before anyone comments - What do I know...

Mike

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:29 pm

Since I had my motor control unit done and adjusted the ring the other month, the slight groan has gone and I can drive the car with confidence. I also can drive one handed, just such a better feeling now
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981