Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Upgrading My Radio Head Unit - A How To + Updates -- COMPLETED

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Rekcus

Post by Rekcus » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:10 pm

Why not just use your Smart Phone as the touch screen as per this unit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXvrjJodaGU
E85 2004 3.0i Maledives
E86 2006 Coupe 3.0si Silbergrau

sharpyboy

Post by sharpyboy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:42 am

Rekcus wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:10 pm Why not just use your Smart Phone as the touch screen as per this unit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXvrjJodaGU
I fitted one of those in my zed. For about a week, I just couldn't get on with the different volume levels of the source inputs. If you switched from USB playback to radio without lowering the volume you would get deafened or blow a speaker cone. All the inputs had different volumes it drove me mad, so I sold it and bought a pioneer with 7 inch touch screen. :thumbsup:
2006 Z4 2.5i gap-tech rch+ roof mod + zhp + roof motor now in boot + DLV Exhaust mod

steve_naive

Post by steve_naive » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:29 pm

Donkman wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:13 pm Love your setup. Did you need to run wires to the amp in the boot?
I didn't but one of my tweeters has burnt itself out. Suspect there may be a problem with some audio systems. Mine is the 10 speaker non DSP, or at least I didn't think the amp was dsp.

Ilogik

Post by Ilogik » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:45 pm

Would love to do this!

steve_naive

Post by steve_naive » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:17 pm

Do not fit this if you have a BMW Amp as standard!

Blew my tweeter out.

You basically can't fit an aftermarket head unit with the HiFi spec z4 with 10 speakers without some serious work.

Bunnyboileravoider

Post by Bunnyboileravoider » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:36 am

mjennings23 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:45 pm I'd love to have a modern head unit, but the work needed to get them to work properly with the DSP amp is beyond anything I'm willing to tackle!
Hi there. I've spent the last couple of days investigating options on upgrading from the OEM stereo, including reading tons of threads on here and talking to pro installers etc. The HU and TV tuner I had (and had planned to fit in the Z4), is apparently not even worth fitting according to the experts. Disappointing, because it cost a fortune 6 or 7 years ago, sat in a car for 6 months and has been boxed up waiting for a new home ever since :-(

One so-called expert fitter though, said that Z4s have an amp in the rear that makes it all a very complicated and costly affair. Frankly, based on others' posts in here, and just about every other fitter's views, I'd dismissed it as scaremongering. But your reference to "...the DSP amp..." has got me wondering now.

What is it, and am I going to waste 2 or 3 days trying to retrofit a new, modern head unit, only to discover there's some sort of gotcha about to come my way...?
You only live twice. I'm on my 2nd.

Toys: (Audi Q7 2018, BMW Z4 2006, Ferrari 348 Spider 1994, Le Mans Noble 1971)

kalt

Post by kalt » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:07 pm

It can be done but you will need the wiring schematic for your car whether it's the HIFI Spec or the Professional spec, to identify which pairs of wires to cut from the AMP harness in the boot.

Replace the BMW AMP with one of your choice making sure it can run the number of speakers you have
Run a pair of RCA cables from the headunit to the new AMP in the boot, separate amp for the subwoofers if you have them.
Cut and patch the speaker cables (I used 16-pin connectors so it can be reverted back to stock easily without soldering or having to crimp wires) from the AMP harness to the new AMP.

As previous poster remarked, you may have to replace the stock tweeter with a pair of component speakers to handle the tweeter and mids.

Dean'o

Post by Dean'o » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:19 pm

I know this is, an old post but very good work looks excellent, was, wondering how you got the air vent back in. I am struggling to fit my air vent back in again once fascia plate is screwed in.

mantona

Post by mantona » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:47 pm

So I ordered all of the parts as below only to find that the ISO adaptor was wrong. I attach a photo of my current installation which hopefully will help in identifying what I need. My car is a 2008 Z4M. Thanks!
Attachments
B6849469-C3CA-42FF-86AA-C44B2A063D0C.jpeg
B6849469-C3CA-42FF-86AA-C44B2A063D0C.jpeg (124.6 KiB) Viewed 205 times