Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Upgrading My Radio Head Unit - A How To + Updates -- COMPLETED

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
heyitsmatty

Post by heyitsmatty » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:24 pm

ULTRAVOX wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:52 pm Wow!! What an amazing upgrade. CAn you still use the steering wheel controls with this set up? . (volume up, down change track and use call button)
Hi Ultravox,

You can buy stalk controls which allow you to use the original steering wheel functions with the ISO connector on. You can pick these up on eBay for relatively cheap, i'm not sure you'll get all functionality, but i opted not to go for it seeming that the touchscreen and volume dial were more than sufficient enough for my liking.

Leesfarm07

Post by Leesfarm07 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:24 pm

I like this upgrade ALOT!!
I can see me reading and reading this to get it into my head...thank you :thumbsup:
Current
2012 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG Sport auto in black
Westfield SE 1800 Zetec on twin 45's Aldon-Tuned pocket rocket in orange
Gone but not forgotten my lovely Zed 2.5

stupot1

Post by stupot1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:33 pm

Still like this
Very tempted !
E86 Sapphire Black, Auto, 224's

sharpyboy

Post by sharpyboy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Nicely done, did you need to fit a dab antenna? Where did you fit it? As I'm looking to fit something similar.
2006 Z4 2.5i gap-tech rch+ roof mod + zhp + roof motor now in boot + DLV Exhaust mod

willinliv

Post by willinliv » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:38 pm

Hi, was interested in this radio and nicely delivered in your car. I notice you have said in your post that this is a capacitive touchscreen, allowing multitouch and gestures etc I imagine. However on the Pioneer page for the AVH-Z7100DAB it now says that it uses a 'Clear Type Resistive Touchscreen': https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/avh-z7100dab

I wondered if you could shed any light on this? It's this which is preventing me from pulling the trigger on one of these as I have seen demos online where you can't do things like scroll lists smoothly or use a finger to reorientate/move around a map. Any ideas?

Thanks for a great post, Will

heyitsmatty

Post by heyitsmatty » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:24 am

willinliv wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:38 pm Hi, was interested in this radio and nicely delivered in your car. I notice you have said in your post that this is a capacitive touchscreen, allowing multitouch and gestures etc I imagine. However on the Pioneer page for the AVH-Z7100DAB it now says that it uses a 'Clear Type Resistive Touchscreen': https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/avh-z7100dab

I wondered if you could shed any light on this? It's this which is preventing me from pulling the trigger on one of these as I have seen demos online where you can't do things like scroll lists smoothly or use a finger to reorientate/move around a map. Any ideas?

Thanks for a great post, Will
Hi Will,

I used to own an old resistive touch screen phone in the past, and the radio definitely feel more responsive than how that device was. On that note however it certainly doesn't seem as "fluid" as a modern day capacitive screen, and unfortunately with the design of the screen (popping out), it feels a little "plasticy" to the touch, therefore you have to push on the screen to fully get it to respond. That being said it is in no way a difficult task to press a button, as most of the time they are massive and easy to press.

I'll try and get a short video later to show off what i mean, for now i'd probably be right in saying it feels more of a halfway point between capacitive and resistive.

Cheers,

Matt

heyitsmatty

Post by heyitsmatty » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:26 am

sharpyboy wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:15 pm Nicely done, did you need to fit a dab antenna? Where did you fit it? As I'm looking to fit something similar.
Unfortunately i didn't fit a DAB antenna as i was quite suffice with FM radio (DAB is pretty bad in our area). I'm certain it can be quite easily retrofitted to your car however.

willinliv

Post by willinliv » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:31 am

Thanks Matt, Pioneer's specs seem to be all over the place. The SPH-DA230DAB for instance is sometime resistive and otherplaces capacitive multi-touch. I think I might go for the SPH-DA230DAB - I have a double DIN anyway, it was just the Z7100 would have elevated the display a bit higher in the car.

heyitsmatty

Post by heyitsmatty » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:34 am

willinliv wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:31 am Thanks Matt, Pioneer's specs seem to be all over the place. The SPH-DA230DAB for instance is sometime resistive and otherplaces capacitive multi-touch. I think I might go for the SPH-DA230DAB - I have a double DIN anyway, it was just the Z7100 would have elevated the display a bit higher in the car.
I think if you have a double DIN slot i'd probably recommend that type. The screens are definitely a lot more premium feeling and brighter than mine puts out. The only time i would recommend this sort of radio is where double DIN isn't an option (like mine for example). Good luck with your project!

paulromi

Post by paulromi » Wed May 01, 2019 5:06 am

Hi you mention in order to get the facia to work you had to take to cage off. Does that mean the metal housing around the stereo or something else. I’m struggling right now getting the facia to fit properly on a pioneer 3500 nex in my E85

Donkman

Post by Donkman » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:17 pm

Hi Paul, I am looking into getting the Pioneer 3500 nex for my 2005 BMW Z4 also. Did you get the facia and all of the wiring set up? Any tips you might have would be appreciated.
Thanks
Donkman

steve_naive

Post by steve_naive » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:17 pm

I have mine all set up but can't seem to plug in the harness adaptor. There's blue plastic blanks over the pins of the original connector. Do I remove them?

Edit: yes, yes I do. :D

Had to butcher the original connector to remove the plastic blanks but all's well that ends well.

Sgr74

Post by Sgr74 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:50 pm

My problem with these units is the way they open and cover the heater vents. If you have the blowers on, will it cause any damage to the screen or components inside? I know you can switch them off, but it does get cold in Scotland. :D
Black 2.5 Roadie.

steve_naive

Post by steve_naive » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:49 am

Sgr74 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:50 pm My problem with these units is the way they open and cover the heater vents. If you have the blowers on, will it cause any damage to the screen or components inside? I know you can switch them off, but it does get cold in Scotland. :D
It's cold here at the moment and I've had no problem with heating.

With the cabin being so compact, you don't really need those front facing vents. And in winter you mostly need heat on the screen anyway.
If you do want them on, a high heat setting would only be bearable for short blasts. Plus you can angle them sideways if absolutely necessary.

Donkman

Post by Donkman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:13 pm

Love your setup. Did you need to run wires to the amp in the boot?