Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

SamP’s Z4 refresh 2006 3.0si

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
SamP84

Post by SamP84 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:48 am

Morning All,

I’ve had my Z for two weeks now but only drive at the weekend as I live in the middle of London. The car has really got under my skin and I want to get the car in great mechanical and cosmetic shape but also still usable and not a garage queen.

I have a list of things I will be doing to the car, please feel free to offer alternatives or opinions, it would be much appreciated.

More to follow soon once I’m in the office and pretending to work!...

Simon 3.2M

Post by Simon 3.2M » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:54 am

If you intend to use it all year around I'd suggest greasing / coating the brake lines as they tend to corrode.
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

LittleZ4

Post by LittleZ4 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:59 am

Hi Sam, welcome to the forum :)
When I got mine I made sure that I did the DISA valve upgrade (new seals, replacement pin and valve) and changed the original vanos seals to uprated ones as preventative maintenance.
Also if its a roadster check the drainage holes either side of the car to make sure they're clear and allow the water to run out.
3.0i Maldives blue, Coilovers, Bola B1's, Buckley06 Gear knob, Handbrake & Indicator badges, Backbox delete, CDV delete, cupra r splitter, RAM air filter, Bigger Brakes, M3 ARB, SMF.

SamP84

Post by SamP84 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:27 am

Hi Simon,

Thank you, will put it on the following list... what man doesn't love a list!

Cosmetic
1. Replace number plates as the front is showing wear. I am going to put the original selling dealer name and address under the reg so it looks original.
2. Wheel refurbishment in standard colour... probably use Lepsons unless anyone knows better? Also, replace centre BMW caps as mine are shot.
3. Restore the front light lenses as mine are a little scratched.
4. 3 stage polish body... the front and rear bumpers could do with a re-spray.
5. Stubby aerial.
6. Thankfully the hood is in lovely condition so I will buy a cover for it as the car is parked on the street.
7. Drivers seat bolster has discolouration which I would like to rectify.

Mechanicals
1. Rear brakes are a little squeaky, hoping it is simply down to lack of use... brakes are very strong and car stops in a strait line.
2. There is the most frustrating knocking noise coming from what sounds like in the dash... car feels so tight and good I don't think it is anything sinister but at the weekend will have a poke about.
3. 2019 Service.
4. Grease up break lines.

Modifications
1. Relocate hood motor to boot... any suggestions on someone in the south.
2. Wind breaker.
3. Exhaust mod.
4. Cruise control mod.

Loving the car, its everything I was hoping for, should have done this ages ago! As I said in a previous thread, any advice very much welcome.

Cheers, Sam

SamP84

Post by SamP84 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:28 am

LittleZ4 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:59 am Hi Sam, welcome to the forum :)
When I got mine I made sure that I did the DISA valve upgrade (new seals, replacement pin and valve) and changed the original vanos seals to uprated ones as preventative maintenance.
Also if its a roadster check the drainage holes either side of the car to make sure they're clear and allow the water to run out.
Thanking you! Good advice.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:33 am

I like your mods list :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

SamP84

Post by SamP84 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Marlon wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:33 am I like your mods list :thumbsup:
Ta, I don't want to go mad with it, just keep it in good health and top condition... it is a lovely car out of the box. Things like Superchargers etc are tempting but I like the engine as it is and it is plenty fast enough to enjoy on B roads in standard form.

My favourite thing other than the fact it is a pretty car and the convertible factor is just how tight and pin point the steering feels. Mine has M sport suspension with Eibach springs, standard 18's with non run flat tyres... it is great fun! the back end is so controllable compared to other stuff I have had.

Chris1981

Post by Chris1981 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:45 pm

SamP84 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:28 am Hi Sam, welcome to the forum
DISA valves tend to not be as much of an issue on the N52 3.0si engine you have so there is no rebuild kit i'm aware of... they can still fail (mine did) but unlikely to get sucked into your engine as it would on the M54 engine so hopefully won't be an issue for you, easy to check by taking it out and ensure it can't be moved by hand!

Vanos solenoids can fail though, not a bad idea to clean them up a bit if you feel like tinkering.

Assuming you have a manual the the CDV delete is worthwhile mod and cheap or free to do too!

Not sure on your mileage or state of suspension bushes but they could be worth a change if they've not been done recently... it's on my list of things to do! I already have powerflex lower control arm bushes and they improve steering feel considerably! but will probably stick with OEM for the rest of the car when i get around to it
E86 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey with Piano Black dash
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

SamP84

Post by SamP84 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:34 pm

Cheers Chris. the car is an auto... the suspension feels great for its 88,000 miles, it has had suspension work done. Thank you for the tip on Powerflexing the control arms. I agree on not Powerflexing everything as it gets a bit much on road.

What is your car like on coilovers?

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:39 pm

Use ACF50 on the brake lines rather than grease.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Chris1981

Post by Chris1981 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:29 pm

SamP84 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:34 pm What is your car like on coilovers?
So far so good, I went for bc as they have adjustable damping so I can put it on soft for my daily commute but crank it up if I want to have a blast at the weekend! Softest setting is surprisingly comfortable to say how low I have it set up!
E86 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey with Piano Black dash
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

SamP84

Post by SamP84 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:50 pm

So, had a day off today and set about cleaning and doing a detail on the Z4. Got all the way through to claying and completely prepping for the mop to come and do the business when said mop didn’t work... it’s broken. Lol. Ah well... next Sunday it will be done!

I always find when you give the car a good clean you find out lots about it... mine is in great shape but the rear bumper is missing the odd screw I think... easy fix. Both front and rear need a respray to get to my standard but might wait until the start of next summer.

Getting the MV2 wheels done Monday. Powder coated in standard silver colour. I’m tempted with some fancy 19 inch jobs but think they might rub... and I’m the oldest 33 year old ever!

Jobs jobbed so far...

SamP84

Post by SamP84 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:01 pm

Cosmetic
3. Restore the front light lenses as mine are a little scratched... done, not perfect but they are very good. Almost new.
4. 3 stage polish body...that's half done!
The new number plates are on their way too.

Mechanicals
2. There is the most frustrating knocking noise coming from what sounds like in the dash... car feels so tight and good I don't think it is anything sinister but at the weekend will have a poke about.
Found out what this is! The central windscreen wiper has some play in it and is knocking up and down. Does anyone know someone who can sort it in the Surrey/South West London area? Who are the best BMW indies? I don't want to DIY it.

Modifications
2. Wind breaker... On its way! Went for the mesh one from justroadsters.

Also, the wing mirror glass popped off while cruising down the motorway... scared me, which was funny. Put new ones on. Lovely.

Will get some pics up when I have finished detail and put on the fresh wheels.

parabolica

Post by parabolica » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Having just bought my z4 complete with dodgy wipers, I had them off at the weekend for a refurb. Easy enough to do but understand if you don't have the space/tools to do the job. I can recommend Gilberts for BMW - one-man garage based in Gunnersbury (just a short walk from Acton Town tube station); he did an all-over vehicle check when i bought my car a month ago and was extremely thorough - was also able to quickly drill out a seized door lock and replace the internals all in the space of 24 hours!

Keen to know who you used for your wheels? I'm in Richmond and need to have my 135s refurb'd.

SamP84

Post by SamP84 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:54 am

parabolica wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:56 pm Having just bought my z4 complete with dodgy wipers, I had them off at the weekend for a refurb. Easy enough to do but understand if you don't have the space/tools to do the job. I can recommend Gilberts for BMW - one-man garage based in Gunnersbury (just a short walk from Acton Town tube station); he did an all-over vehicle check when i bought my car a month ago and was extremely thorough - was also able to quickly drill out a seized door lock and replace the internals all in the space of 24 hours!

Keen to know who you used for your wheels? I'm in Richmond and need to have my 135s refurb'd.
Morning fellow Newbie! Thank you for the recommendation!

I’m using First Aid Wheels. They do a wheel swap while you wait. You phone up, book the wheels and providing they have them they just swap there and then. They are in NW6, I will report back on Monday regarding service quality etc.