Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help a new boy find the right e85/86!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JonLeeper

Post by JonLeeper » Wed May 30, 2018 11:31 am

So, I'm Jon and I'm seriously considering buying an e85 / e86! Wow feels great to get that off my chest. :-)

So a little background. I'm Jon, as previously stated, and in a, seriously short, couple of months I finish being a soldier and have to start working for a living. It's been over 22 years since I joined and I'm finding it's both exciting and scary in equal measure! I have a house in deepest darkest Kent, about 10 miles outside Dover, but am still living and working in Bristol until the end of June.

The most important thing for here, however, is that this means that for the first time in almost forever my daily commute is not a walk or cycle from my front door! This means that I need a new car. Hence my appearance on the site. I am quite mechanically minded, I own a couple of sets of spanners, and actually enjoy tinkering with stuff so I'm not adverse to doing things myself. However that must be tempered with the fact the car will be my main commuting method so any work will need to be completed in a weekend.

So what do I need?

1. I will need to commute about 50 miles each way. A mixture of back roads and some motorway / a roads. As I'm only just starting out I think reliability is the biggest thing for me. Not arriving at the office because I've broken down, again, is, I suspect, the quickest way to ensure I don't pass my probation period! As such a decent length of MOT is high on the list as I know I "should" get nearly a years motoring out of it.
2. I'm a little over 6 feet 2 inches tall and starting to become what my kids call "cuddly" so will need to get comfortable in the car. I suspect that this isn't an issue but I will have to try a couple to make sure.
3. As I won't get my pension for a while, and there's loads of things that SWMBO thinks rate higher than a car for me on the spending front, I have a limited budget of £3,500 to £4,000 max! There will be a small "fighting fund" that will start to build from October but I need a base car first.

I think that sorts the "musts" so onto the "nice to haves"!

1. I'd love a car that I can enjoy driving. As a family we've have a "hand me down" Passat Estate, that whilst great, doesn't really excite me. The last time I had a car I enjoyed driving it was a Mk2 Golf Gti 8v around 10 years ago!
2. I'd love a car I can do the occasional track day in. I did have a dedicated Mk2 Golf for this task but it had to go about 7 years ago. I may go back to another dedicated track day toy in the future but being able to have a couple of fun days out each year until then would be a bonus.

So what has my research told me thus far?

1. I'm pushing the boundaries of Z4 ownership with such a limited budget! There are more 2.5's out there than 3.0's but they're not "hens teeth" scare.
2. Most people say that the car to go for is the 3.0 as it offers advantages over the 2.5 but doesn't particularly increase MPG or tax.
3. There were not too many toys fitted by BMW as standard and not many options either!
4. Both the 2.5 and the 3.0 are essentially the same engine and are as robust as any modern engine, with regular servicing.

So what have I seen?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... arly%20New

A 2.5 but has the sport pack. MOT until March 19, relatively, low miles and close to Bristol. Also well within budget.

Top end of budget but it is a 3.0. Short MOT, only Sept 18, but the tyres have been replaced since the last MOT, they were adviseries then.

Another 3.0 at the top end of budget. A decent MOT, Apr 19 but lots of adviseries which makes me a little nervous about how well its been looked after. It is, relatively, low miles though

A 2.5 but long MOT, Apr 19 and well within budget. Lots of adviseries but they all seem to be consumables rather than anything too dire.

Another 2.5 but, again, a reasonable MOT, Feb 19. Not too many miles and well within budget.

So an insanely long first post but over to you all. Am I barking up the wrong tree entirely and ought to head over to the MX-5 forum? Is there a better option that I've missed? Answers, informed opinions, other points of view, general ramblings, etc gratefully received.

Jon
My daily driver, and occasional track toy,
56 plate e86 3.0si sport.
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Front and rear strut braces
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

90 miles and climbing, slowly.
:driving:

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:48 am

Hi Jon

Fellow Kent lad here :D

Both the 2.5 and 3.0 engines if maintained properly are very reliable, many cars on here creeping up to a 150k and still going well, the one problem they can both suffer is the roof motor failure, but there are quite a few gurus on her that can move it to the boot for not to many bucks,

As for which car you go for, I would go and test drive both a 2.5 and 3.0 and see what suits you, there is marginal mpg difference

As for an MX5 -- no idea :rofl:
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Courageous

Post by Courageous » Wed May 30, 2018 12:02 pm

Hang around Jon. There's a world of difference in both the cars and the type of people that drive them. Zed 4 every day. You won't regret it I promise you! Welcome to civvy street buddy. :thumbsup:

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:11 pm

Welcome to the fold Jon!

Just a quick thought...you've done a lot of looking on AT, but have you checked out the for sale section on here? At least if you get one from here you're likely to get a well maintained motor as most of the peeps on here are enthusiasts who look after their cars. :thumbsup:

Good luck!

ErrErrminator

Post by ErrErrminator » Wed May 30, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi and welcome.

As has been said get yourself to see and drive some of both the 2.5 and 3.0 and buy the best car you can in budget based on history, condition and spec.

I was looking for a 3.0i initially, then ended up with a pre-facelift 2.5i from these very forums, as it was a good car, for less money, meaning I had some left for the inevitable few jobs, tax, insurance and some fuel to be able to get out and enjoy it. Ok, so another 30 (2.5Si), 40 (3.0i) or even 70 (3.0Si) horses would have been nice, but I honestly do not feel the 2.5i to be lacking. For the type of roads I use it on, mostly rural B-twisties, the performance is more than adequate. If I had the extra power would I drive the same roads any quicker? Probably not. Does it sound great, accelerate smoothly and swiftly and make me smile when I’m driving it? Yes it does.

Whichever you go for good luck with the search and don’t be afraid to ask any more questions here.

chrisgreen

Post by chrisgreen » Wed May 30, 2018 12:41 pm

I would definitely stretch to a 3 ltr engine - they are actually better on fuel as they have 6 gears so when cruising on the motorway they sit about 2.3k rpm. I regularly get 40+ mpg motorway driving.

Bide your time - don't buy the first one you see and go.

the E85 Z4 is a surprisingly cheap car to own and run - I can get a full set of front of discs and pads for less than £80 from ECP! also I'm in Bristol - happy to take you out in mine
'04 E85 Z4 3.0 silver/black - daily driver :driving: - Sold
'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi
'05 E46 330d Touring - Silver Grey/Black

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed May 30, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi and welcome :D

Test both is my only advise. 3.0i cars had a slightly higher spec, such as electric seats, 6 speed box on pre facelifts.

TBH the only option you really need on a roadster is heated seats. Even if you don’t want them, it will be easier to sell on with them.

JonLeeper

Post by JonLeeper » Wed May 30, 2018 8:02 pm

chrisgreen wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:41 pm I would definitely stretch to a 3 ltr engine - they are actually better on fuel as they have 6 gears so when cruising on the motorway they sit about 2.3k rpm. I regularly get 40+ mpg motorway driving.

the E85 Z4 is a surprisingly cheap car to own and run - I can get a full set of front of discs and pads for less than £80 from ECP! also I'm in Bristol - happy to take you out in mine
Thanks for the offer and I'd definitely like to take you up on that, especially as I've never actually sat in one! I'm about all weekend.......... :driving:
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

JonLeeper

Post by JonLeeper » Wed May 30, 2018 8:04 pm

ErrErrminator wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:22 pm Hi and welcome.

As has been said get yourself to see and drive some of both the 2.5 and 3.0 and buy the best car you can in budget based on history, condition and spec.

I was looking for a 3.0i initially, then ended up with a pre-facelift 2.5i from these very forums, as it was a good car, for less money, meaning I had some left for the inevitable few jobs, tax, insurance and some fuel to be able to get out and enjoy it. Ok, so another 30 (2.5Si), 40 (3.0i) or even 70 (3.0Si) horses would have been nice, but I honestly do not feel the 2.5i to be lacking. For the type of roads I use it on, mostly rural B-twisties, the performance is more than adequate. If I had the extra power would I drive the same roads any quicker? Probably not. Does it sound great, accelerate smoothly and swiftly and make me smile when I’m driving it? Yes it does.

Whichever you go for good luck with the search and don’t be afraid to ask any more questions here.
Thanks for the response and I'll definitely be back with more questions!
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

JonLeeper

Post by JonLeeper » Wed May 30, 2018 8:06 pm

idej_jedi wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:11 pm Welcome to the fold Jon!

Just a quick thought...you've done a lot of looking on AT, but have you checked out the for sale section on here? At least if you get one from here you're likely to get a well maintained motor as most of the peeps on here are enthusiasts who look after their cars. :thumbsup:

Good luck!
Thanks for the welcome. I had looked on the"for sale" posts on here but there's nothing even close to my budget! I'll keep looking though.
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:08 pm

JonLeeper wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:06 pm
idej_jedi wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:11 pm Welcome to the fold Jon!

Good luck!
Thanks for the welcome. I had looked on the"for sale" posts on here but there's nothing even close to my budget! I'll keep looking though.
Keep checking though, I’ve defo seen some on here for the top end of your budget.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed May 30, 2018 8:37 pm

Well of the ones you have put links to I like the third one best.

It's a 3 litre, I like Maldives Blue and Style 107 wheels and it's got the desirable heated seats!

Good luck finding the right one. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

chrisgreen

Post by chrisgreen » Thu May 31, 2018 9:53 am

JonLeeper wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:02 pm
chrisgreen wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:41 pm I would definitely stretch to a 3 ltr engine - they are actually better on fuel as they have 6 gears so when cruising on the motorway they sit about 2.3k rpm. I regularly get 40+ mpg motorway driving.

Thanks for the offer and I'd definitely like to take you up on that, especially as I've never actually sat in one! I'm about all weekend.......... :driving:
i'm away this weekend i'm afraid but free the weekend after or during the week!
'04 E85 Z4 3.0 silver/black - daily driver :driving: - Sold
'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi
'05 E46 330d Touring - Silver Grey/Black

JonLeeper

Post by JonLeeper » Thu May 31, 2018 9:58 am

chrisgreen wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:53 am JonLeeper wrote: ↑

chrisgreen wrote: ↑
I would definitely stretch to a 3 ltr engine - they are actually better on fuel as they have 6 gears so when cruising on the motorway they sit about 2.3k rpm. I regularly get 40+ mpg motorway driving.

i'm away this weekend i'm afraid but free the weekend after or during the week!
I'm away next weekend but I'm about all week. I've got to pack up and sort out my accommodation up here, so any distraction welcomed! Thanks.
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

Fox889

Post by Fox889 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:54 pm

I’m 6’ & a tad more cuddly than I ought to be & the Z is a wonderful choice. I have the 3.0 which has 6 gears, leccy seats, leccy roof, heated memory seats virtually the lot. I’m totally biased but the 3.0 would be my choice.
As others have said, look on the forum as you’ll get a good buy on here. Don’t worry about mileage at all, i.e. 04 3.0 with 100k +/- 15k should come out between £3250-£4K? These girls, properly looked after are capable of 200k so service history is of paramount importance!
If you go for an MX5 you do realise you’ll be shot at dawn every morning until you denounce the devil? Plus the fact the comparison is like chalk & cheese. Stay with a Z, I still cannot believe what an affordable, beautiful & reliable car the Z is!
2004 3.0 Z4 in Sterling grey metallic