Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sticky Handbrake

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Davz

Sticky Handbrake

Post by Davz » Sat May 26, 2018 12:18 am

Searched the forum for a "how to" on servicing the handbrake but couldn't find anything.

I have a sticky handbrake with the nearside not freeing off staright away when the lever is released, it does release with a clunk when I reverse off the drive and then squeeks for about 10ft. Thinking that a good clean, lube and new springs will sort out the problem.

Has anyone else done this job? Any tips or pics?

Is this the correct kit or should I go for another make?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Matching-OE- ... SwqVBZX9gZ

Advice much appreciated!
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Sticky Handbrake

Post by Ewazix » Sat May 26, 2018 8:32 am

Unless you know the shoes are recent you might consider replacing them whilst you are in there cleaning and greasing everything, bit fiddly but worth doing. Make sure you get a pic of the set-up in place as it can be tricky to recall which way around everything goes back! :)

Pelican have a good guide to replacement and adjustment
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticl ... cement.htm
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticl ... usting.htm
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Sticky Handbrake

Post by ph001 » Sat May 26, 2018 1:17 pm

Yeh, the shoes don’t really wear but they do corrode which eventually leads from the brake lining material coming off the backing plate. If you are taking them off I would replace for what they cost.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Silverzedtom

Sticky Handbrake

Post by Silverzedtom » Sat May 26, 2018 2:06 pm

First thing to try is re bedding in the shoes and drum.

Drive down a quiet road at 30 mph with the hand brake up a few clicks for 80m.

That should clear any corrosion on the braking surfaces.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Davz

Sticky Handbrake

Post by Davz » Sun May 27, 2018 4:51 pm

cheers guys, I was going to have a lok at this week while on hols, but the weather forecast is pretty poor this week (thunder and lightening at the mo!) so may have to put this off. If I get round to doing it i'll put some pics up.
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.