Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Which front brake pads?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
oldgitdave

Which front brake pads?

Post by oldgitdave » Sun May 20, 2018 1:46 pm

Got an advisory for low front brake pads at MOT in April so I'm looking at getting them replaced in the next few weeks. I'll probably do this myself but just wanted to ask your advice on these. Special price at the moment too :thumbsup:

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/ ... ff2&000036

I think they're the right ones & I've heard good reports in that they don't produce too much dust & braking is good.

Is there anything else I need i.e. new pins or anti rattle springs? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dave
Zedless :(

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Which front brake pads?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun May 20, 2018 2:26 pm

Depending on how heavy you are on the brakes low pads may last a good while, get some to have in stock but don't feel the need to change them for the sake of it. You have a pad wear indicator too, but they don't need replacing unless activated. Get some red rubber grease to lube the pins and check you have end caps, clips are usually grubby but functionally fine. Easy DIY.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

oldgitdave

Which front brake pads?

Post by oldgitdave » Sun May 20, 2018 2:36 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:26 pm Depending on how heavy you are on the brakes low pads may last a good while, get some to have in stock but don't feel the need to change them for the sake of it. You have a pad wear indicator too, but they don't need replacing unless activated. Get some red rubber grease to lube the pins and check you have end caps, clips are usually grubby but functionally fine. Easy DIY.
Thanks Steve, I'm quite light on the brakes generally tbh. In fact I can't remember the last time I replaced pads on any of my cars. I'd forgotten about the wear indicator, nothing showing on the dash so should be ok for a while then?
Might be worth getting a set at this price, or are they always on offer?

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Which front brake pads?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun May 20, 2018 2:41 pm

ECP and carparts4less have almost weekly sales! Pop a wheel off and have a look yourself, I had wheels balanced and them say the pads were low, they were still usable a year later! MOT might be a bit more honest but wear rate is entirely driver dependant. I'd hate to see you throw away a set that could last another year.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Which front brake pads?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun May 20, 2018 2:45 pm

I also have e pads and got a full front a rear set for £100 ish, so a fair price and no harm in keeping stock if you want to. I can't tell the difference with the previous set of pagid except they definitely produce less dust. I've not tracked them yet to see how they perform, but that's not the same as pure road use.

oldgitdave

Which front brake pads?

Post by oldgitdave » Sun May 20, 2018 3:29 pm

I'll get the wheels off & check them out. Only doing about 4k per year so if they look reasonable I'll leave well alone & revisit next year. Thanks :thumbsup: