Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clutch and flywheel replacement cost.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sat May 19, 2018 6:50 pm

The last few days, I've noticed my car has been revving, but not accelerating, only very slightly at certain speeds/rpm.

Yesterday evening these symptoms worsened and I noticed it was definitely a transmission issue. At 3000rpm in 3rd gear, I pressed the accelerator and the ref's built, but the speed didn't.

I've also noticed a rattling sound, which seems to disappear when the clutch pedal is pressed down.

This obviously means my clutch/flywheel is on it's way out, so will need replacing. I'll be replacing both, as my Z4 is 15 years old and has almost 126,000 miles on it.

Has anyone had this done? If so. What sort of costs am I looking at? I've priced the parts up and for a Valeo flywheel and clutch, it's going to be £630. That's just for parts. Then I'll have labour costs on top. I assume a garage could possibly get the parts cheaper than me, so would it be worth letting them order replacement items?

I won't be doing the work myself as whilst I fit flywheels and clutches for a living, doing it on a production line is a fair bit easier than doing it underneath a car :lol:

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sat May 19, 2018 7:00 pm

Andyfanshaw did his in his restoration thread , although I think Andy had the 2.0, he's based in chesterfield if that's an use to you
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sat May 19, 2018 7:02 pm

I'm in Essex, so a fair old way away, but thanks for the heads up :thumbsup: I'll take a look at his thread.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat May 19, 2018 7:17 pm

I'd be taking it to one of the guys on here who can do it, even if the cost with travel is the same, at least you know it's been done properly!
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Anmarube

Post by Anmarube » Sat May 19, 2018 8:57 pm

Just done mine. Quite an easy job with a ramp. Clutch & flywheel £240. Valeo. (Parkers trade)
Took 4 hours with some other jobs whilst on ramp.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sun May 20, 2018 8:40 am

Ben, any good local garage should be able to do this for you in about 3-4 hours or so. It's a fairly simple/run of the mill task. So if you got some one local you trust and your supplying the parts then I guess its case of what their labour rate.
The parts come in at £525 from gsf using the code wkd58 (in case you don't have it). The codes valid till midnight tonight.
I guess it also depends if it needs a flywheel. if yours isnt causing you any issues and the garage check it and its fine you could get away without replacing it, saves circa £400 at least in the short term, but might well end up being a false economy in the long run though. I suppose how long you intend to keep the car etc will influence this.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)