Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight mod?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Courageous

Headlight mod?

Post by Courageous » Thu May 17, 2018 11:33 pm

I am in need of LHD headlamps for my roadster and am struggling a bit. They are just so damned expensive. It's got me wondering what the difference is between RH and LH. In the old days of glass lenses there was all manner of prismatic shapes but now they seem to be simple plastic shields. Is the direction of the dipping performed by the orientation of the lamp inside? If so could I take a set of RHD ones and modify them?

Hope someone here is clever enough to know!

Z4 COUPSTER

Headlight mod?

Post by Z4 COUPSTER » Thu May 17, 2018 11:41 pm

I thought you could switch them over? On the e46 I believe there was a way to switch the lights to bend to lhd/rhd.I assumed ours were the same.
D
:thumbsup: Z in da Head.
3.0i Z3 sport,sapphire black,3.0i Z4 roadster Sterling grey,auto,Z4 3.0si Coupe Titanium silver,Stubby &B06 Plus some other German beauties!!

Courageous

Headlight mod?

Post by Courageous » Thu May 17, 2018 11:57 pm

Good God I hope you're right Coupster! Anyone confirm please?

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Headlight mod?

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri May 18, 2018 12:41 am

Yes you can, in a fashion there is a lever inside that alters the beam to remove the kick up on the nearside (rhd) and so make the beam flat. But you also won't get the kick up on the side you now need it on.

Mike

Courageous

Headlight mod?

Post by Courageous » Fri May 18, 2018 6:59 am

Thanks for confirming Mike. That's another job for you on Sunday then :thumbsup:

rally-chris

Headlight mod?

Post by rally-chris » Fri May 18, 2018 8:10 am

Just to be clear - using the internal lever to flatten the beam allows for RHD headlights to not dazzle oncoming cars when driving in Europe; it doesn’t make the headlights the same as LHD and you won’t pass any sort of roadworthiness test (like a UK MOT) that you might have to allow you to register the car abroad.

If you are moving the car permanently abroad then you’ll still need to look for some LHD headlights, however they may be easier to source where you are going than here in UK?

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

Courageous

Headlight mod?

Post by Courageous » Fri May 18, 2018 9:33 am

Thanks Chris and good point. My plan is to leave the car on UK plates until pressed to do otherwise so this "fix" will help enormously. I am looking at pattern Z4 lamps and they seem to be all around the 400 euro mark! Even second hand ones here are that price. It's insane.

Going to keep my eyes sharp and as and when a good value set arrives I will make the move.