Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

roof motor guide... that still works??

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
faz_b

Post by faz_b » Tue May 08, 2018 1:22 pm

Hello all,

finally got the dreaded symptoms (roof unlatches, red light flash, no motor noise of movement) so I have already gone ahead and ordered a refurbished motor which should be with me tomorrow. Sods law that it happens on such a beautiful day but hey ho!

Question I have is, I've done a reasonable amount of searching and have come across a couple of threads on guides as to how to replace the motor, trouble is that given most of them are a little older now and the previous links to photobucket no longer working... they arent really too useable.

shipkiller did one that looks like it would have been perfect, but I cant make head nor tail of it without the images and I cant also seem to get into the photobucket links.

Little bit stuck if I am honest. Anyone know of any links/threads which have images that are still usable or have been linked on another site?
Black '07 3.0si manual / aero skirts / matt black 19" Hub alloys / black grill / ZHP / piano black trim / Red leather sport seats

Phoenixboy

Post by Phoenixboy » Tue May 08, 2018 1:51 pm

I personally would get one of the roof gurus to do mine.
they can often revive the motor, re locate it, and at a cost in the region of a hundred quid.
not worth the bother of ordering motor etc
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Tue May 08, 2018 6:16 pm

NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

faz_b

Post by faz_b » Tue May 08, 2018 7:29 pm

Phoenixboy wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:51 pm I personally would get one of the roof gurus to do mine.
they can often revive the motor, re locate it, and at a cost in the region of a hundred quid.
not worth the bother of ordering motor etc
Appreciated, but already ordered and pretty capable with a spanner or two. fancy having a go. :)

Legend. That is precisely the kind of thing I was after. Thank you. :)
Black '07 3.0si manual / aero skirts / matt black 19" Hub alloys / black grill / ZHP / piano black trim / Red leather sport seats

G600

Post by G600 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:57 pm

For future reference there is a chrome add on that fixes the dead photobucket links
E85 3.0

Palace23

Post by Palace23 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:56 pm

Hi guys, new here so be kind! I have the same issue and I have removed the roof motor - through the boot which was a PITA but glad it's done. Looking at the motor it doesn't look in to bad shape because it has been replaced before by previous owner so I dosed it in wd40 for a while then hooked it to a 12v battery but still no joy.. I'm guessing the motor has has it but anymore info on how to revive it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Palace23 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:56 pm Hi guys, new here so be kind! I have the same issue and I have removed the roof motor - through the boot which was a PITA but glad it's done. Looking at the motor it doesn't look in to bad shape because it has been replaced before by previous owner so I dosed it in wd40 for a while then hooked it to a 12v battery but still no joy.. I'm guessing the motor has has it but anymore info on how to revive it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=105592&hilit=Motor+diesel
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

Palace23

Post by Palace23 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:05 pm

Cheers for that :thumbsup:
Does anyone know how to strip the motor to get the bushes without annihilating it?

Cheers