Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How many owners have private plates?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift

Yes another poll...

Yes I own a private plate
78%
No I don't own a private plate
22%

Total votes: 188

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Sat May 12, 2018 9:27 am

beanie wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:30 pm I can understand having a plate for looks, sentimentality and a whole host of other reasons, but I can't work out why people care about hiding a cars age :? Who are you trying to impress and why do you give a s**t?
I don't think it's about impressing anyone so much. For me I think the Z4C is a timeless design and removing a date-stamped plate makes the car look a little more mysterious, maybe. Obviously anyone on this board could clock it and guess it's from 2007 give or take a year or so, and the first thing I'd tell anyone if they commented is "ah, it's older and worth a lot less than you might think". I'm not remotely bothered about making people think I've a younger car than I've got, but I do quite like its age being an unknown to most.

I'm not sure I'd feel the same if I'd bought a slightly less modern classic from the 70s or 80s.

I do maintain that my car does look better with the LJ56 VZG plates in the bin. :D

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sat May 12, 2018 10:09 am

I’ve got one because I had the opportunity to put one on at no cost or switch back to the plate the car was first registered with. It has sentimental value, being derived from the plate my grandad (who was a massive car nut) put on his cars, but doesn’t mean anything in terms of initials etc.

I think lettering of that size on an object the size of a car is always going to have subjective aesthetic value. More so if the car is a “looker”. While I’m not hooked on percy plates and would happily switch back, I think I’d have a very strong opinion about 8cm tall lettering or graphical patterns placed anywhere else on the car, so why not care about a number plate, which has the added distinction of being designed to be eye-catching?
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

gov

Post by gov » Sat May 12, 2018 10:33 am

Bought mine from DVLA in 1991 - J3 AEH - my initials - currently on retention until I find the right zed :roll:

Wished I'd kept the Reg on my first car - DOG 756 - mini van bought in 1966 ! - I was as tall as I am now but a lot thinner :rofl:

My old red Elan had the plate H ... BFG ironically

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sat May 12, 2018 10:44 am

srhutch wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:37 pm
C8H18 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:47 pm
kis wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:42 pm

As of right now 75% of the forum disagrees with you. Just saying 8)
I have no problem with that whatsoever. I don't see the attraction of Morris dancing either, but I'm sure there will be an online forum somewhere where the majority of members disagree with my opinion. According to the DVLA, over £2 billion has been raised in revenue for HM Treasury since sales of personalised registrations started in 1989. That's a s**t load of hospitals / schools / Apache helicopters funded solely by people like 75% of this forum, rather than through general taxation.

All of which is absolutely fine by me. Just saying :P
You could have bought a Nissan Micra, would have got you from A to B just like the zed.

Lot cheaper to run and less money going to the government.

Just saying :poke:
Good point.
Where does one draw the line between the aesthetics and the functionality of a car. One could argue that anyone with a Z4 is at least to some degree sacrificing functionality and practicallity for aesthetic pleasure - for many of us opting for a private plate is just adding to that aesthetic pleasure.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Phoenixboy

Post by Phoenixboy » Sat May 12, 2018 12:40 pm

we have a car which without question is special.
so the addition of a private plate , imo, just adds to that.
makes it more personal, and looks cool too.
if you don't like them, don't have one.
simple really :)
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sat May 12, 2018 4:44 pm

Phoenixboy wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:40 pm we have a car which without question is special.
It’s not that simple though. I used to think they were for bellends. Now that I have one... less so. :D :roll:
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

C8H18

Post by C8H18 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:48 pm

srhutch wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:37 pm
C8H18 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:47 pm
kis wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:42 pm

As of right now 75% of the forum disagrees with you. Just saying 8)
I have no problem with that whatsoever. I don't see the attraction of Morris dancing either, but I'm sure there will be an online forum somewhere where the majority of members disagree with my opinion. According to the DVLA, over £2 billion has been raised in revenue for HM Treasury since sales of personalised registrations started in 1989. That's a s**t load of hospitals / schools / Apache helicopters funded solely by people like 75% of this forum, rather than through general taxation.

All of which is absolutely fine by me. Just saying :P
You could have bought a Nissan Micra, would have got you from A to B just like the zed.

Lot cheaper to run and less money going to the government.

Just saying :poke:
You're absolutely right, I could have bought a Micra. But I like high performance vehicles, both on 2 wheels and 4. I was in the fortunate position that I was able to afford a Zed over a Micra and I chose to do so. Equally, I could afford a personalised registration, but would prefer to spend my money in other ways. Provided you can afford it and it isn't illegal or antisocial, I wouldn't seek to dissuade you from spending your money however you so choose.

I expect you're left scratching your head :scratchhead: at some of the bizarre things other people choose to spend their money on (bagel heads, perhaps). Personalised registrations fall in to that category for me (maybe not quite, but you get my drift). But if you want to spunk your cash on a number plate (or a bagel head) then go for it - you won't find me standing in your way.
2006 silver / muddy 3.0si roadster manual

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Mon May 14, 2018 8:41 am

You're right each to their own. Many people on here (this forum in particular) add things/customise to give a layer of individuality to their car.

I've got mine for two reasons, it's pretty much my name and also my dad bought it for me when I was really young. So technically it's not even mine, adding to its sentimental value. It's something I hope to pass down to my kids, if (when their old enough to drive) registration plates are even necessary.

It's also much more aesthetic in terms of just to look at than the random jumble of letters and numbers which were assigned to the car when it was first registered. I have no connection with Loughborough (where it was registered and where the first two digits of the registration numbers come from), nor with 2003 when it was registered.

Finally, just a note really, I think there is value in having a plate where the registration is masked. To the uninitiated, finding out my car is over a decade old is quite a shock. It could easily pass as 2016 car with the timeless looks and the pampering that most Zed's on here receive. But again that's just my opinion :)
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon May 14, 2018 9:28 am

MrPT wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:44 pm
Phoenixboy wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:40 pm we have a car which without question is special.
It’s not that simple though. I used to think they were for bellends. Now that I have one... less so. :D :roll:
:lol:
911 997 Carrera S

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:09 am

I'm currently looking at an E89 that comes with the personalised plate free. Not sure whether to keep it (it's free, after all) or just get standard plates. The message on the plates doesn't exactly spin my wheels (SPF0), but I guess some might think it a bit amusing.... :?
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

ErrErrminator

Post by ErrErrminator » Mon May 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Marlon wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:28 am
MrPT wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:44 pm
I've got to be honest, that was always my take on the matter too. Now I have my Zed though I have surprised nobody more than myself by seriously considering getting one. If that makes me a bellend in the eyes of others so be it. :D For me it's mostly about the improved aesthetics and to a lesser extent making the age of the car less obvious to the uninitiated.

ZedM

Post by ZedM » Wed May 16, 2018 9:09 pm

ZedM wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:22 pm My plate isn't private but it is very special. A neighbour of mine has a similar registration and when the two cars are parked side by side they make a lovely pair. I will post a photo soon so that you can see what I mean! :D
As promised here is my plate (on the left) and the neighbour's (on the right). What a lovely pair!
What a lovely pair!.jpg
What a lovely pair!.jpg (195.87 KiB) Viewed 472 times
2003 Sterling Grey 2.5i SE, 17" Turbines and Falkens (no tramlining!), CDV Delete, Roof Motor Relocation by DLV.

JamieZ4C

Post by JamieZ4C » Wed May 16, 2018 9:35 pm

ZedM wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:09 pm
ZedM wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:22 pm My plate isn't private but it is very special. A neighbour of mine has a similar registration and when the two cars are parked side by side they make a lovely pair. I will post a photo soon so that you can see what I mean! :D
As promised here is my plate (on the left) and the neighbour's (on the right). What a lovely pair!
What a lovely pair!.jpg

Thanks for keeping us abreast :thumbsup:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed May 16, 2018 9:41 pm

What a real neighbourly pair you are - nice to see :thumbsup:
911 997 Carrera S

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed May 16, 2018 10:52 pm

Marlon wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:41 pm What a real neighbourly pair you are - nice to see
Pair being the operative word - if only their cars were Bristols. :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black