Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear quarter panel removal

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Steve.EagleE-Types

Post by Steve.EagleE-Types » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:36 pm

Hi Guys,

I’m new to the forum and relatively new to owning my E85 Roadster.

I’m in the process of removing my N/S rear quarter panel but am stuck trying to locate the top bolt located behind the roof frame....... I’ve got the 7 roof frame bolts removed along with the parcel shelf but I just can’t find it....... I should add that even with the 7 bolts removed the roof seems to be stuck solid!

Any further help would be gratefully received in locating said bolt!!!

Thanks in advance.

Steve

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue May 01, 2018 6:52 am

Hi and welcome.

Do you work for Eagle? If so you are very near me.

I believe you need to unclip the roof frame around the wing area to get to the bolt.

I managed to wangle a ride in this a couple of years ago when my boss borrowed it.
Speedster1.jpg
Speedster1.jpg (180 KiB) Viewed 861 times

Steve.EagleE-Types

Post by Steve.EagleE-Types » Tue May 01, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi, yes I’ve worked for Eagle for 16 years now and actually built the Speedster in your photo.

Your boss must be IC? He’s the only customer we’ve ever leant the car too.

You mentioned about unclipping the roof around the wind to release, do you know how this is done?

Steve

TomK

Post by TomK » Tue May 01, 2018 3:18 pm

I had the pleasure of driving one of your low drags recently, fantastic car!
Hopefully this will help, from another poster.
The one that's a pain, is hidden under the rear panel between the boot and the roof (have highlighted the bolt hole in pic). This bolt is accessed from inside the boot. You don't need to remove the roof, but just undo the 7 bolts holding the aluminium frame around the bulkhead, which gives you just enough room to move the frame out the way to access the bolt.
16%20-%20Copy.jpg
16%20-%20Copy.jpg (131.74 KiB) Viewed 802 times
FFFTJRF.png
FFFTJRF.png (70.68 KiB) Viewed 802 times
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Steve.EagleE-Types

Post by Steve.EagleE-Types » Tue May 01, 2018 5:50 pm

Hi Tom,

Oh really, which Low Drag was it?

Thanks very much for the info, as I said in my initial post, I have removed the 7 bolts but the frame is solid and won’t move at all.....

TomK

Post by TomK » Tue May 01, 2018 6:27 pm

Sorry not to have been of more help.
The low drag is a friend of mine's, rory. I like popping round there occasionally, he has also chucked me the keys to his 288gto in the past and I've yet to drive that SV in the background :D .
Such a beautiful thing.
DSC_1525_zps2zwelfmn - Copy.JPG
DSC_1525_zps2zwelfmn - Copy.JPG (106.02 KiB) Viewed 769 times
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Steve.EagleE-Types

Post by Steve.EagleE-Types » Tue May 01, 2018 8:10 pm

No problem at all Tom, again, another one of my builds..... I like Rory, he’s a great guy and I love the fact he uses his car regularly unlike some of our customers! He sent us a great photo of it last week in Waitrose car park with it full of shopping bags, it did make us chuckle! I’ve also been lucky enough to drive a 288GTO, awesome car!

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue May 01, 2018 8:28 pm

Steve.EagleE-Types wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 2:10 pm Hi, yes I’ve worked for Eagle for 16 years now and actually built the Speedster in your photo.

Your boss must be IC? He’s the only customer we’ve ever leant the car too.

You mentioned about unclipping the roof around the wind to release, do you know how this is done?

Steve
You are indeed correct sir IC is my boss.

TomK

Post by TomK » Tue May 01, 2018 9:26 pm

Steve.EagleE-Types wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:10 pm No problem at all Tom, again, another one of my builds.....
:hattip: The mind boggles at the work that has gone into that car, I didn't get nearly as long as I would of liked to both drive it and pour over it. It felt really fun on the brief drive I had, not intimidating (even down narrow country lanes) and the engine was just fantastic, the straight six redone with an ali block instead of steel, is that right?
Steve.EagleE-Types wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:10 pm I like Rory, he’s a great guy and I love the fact he uses his car regularly unlike some of our customers! He sent us a great photo of it last week in Waitrose car park with it full of shopping bags, it did make us chuckle!
Yep, sounds about right, always one to do things slightly differently... Agree it's great to see these and other cars being used, life is too short. It's the one car he has said he won't sell.
Steve.EagleE-Types wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:10 pm I’ve also been lucky enough to drive a 288GTO, awesome car!
When those turbos start hissing at you :evil:

Anyway, sorry for going totally off topic. Best of luck with your quarter panel. I had to take the rear one off my coupe last year and even after getting all the bolts off the sealant was still an unexpected obstacle. It's a joy though that the quarter panels are bolt on it must be said :)

parabolica

Post by parabolica » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm in the same situation as the OP; got the 7 (well, 6 in my case as 1 was missing) bolts removed from the aluminium frame however there seems to be zero play/wiggle room - unsure how to proceed? Do you access the bolt from inside the boot or outside? If inside, how do you do it? There still seems to be a lot of stuff in the way in the boot (the plastic mechanism for lowering the parcel shelf etc). Also does the roof have to be in a specific position to do this? I have up fully up at the moment.

Cheers

ETA never mind, managed to get the thing off - what a PITA! Anyway onwards and upwards!