Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

SOLD What sort of price should I ask?

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
Mark_A

What sort of price should I ask?

Post by Mark_A » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:47 pm

I've had my Z4 coupe for just over two years and it is time for a change.

Problem is, I have no idea what I should be asking for it - prices seem so all over the place. Want it to sell fairly easily but don't want to give it away obviously!

Spec: 2006 3.0 Si Sport Auto in Monacco blue with black leather, refurbed 108's with Bridgestone tyres all round. 57k miles approx. and just had an oil and filter change.

Inside and outside is pretty immaculate, interior genuinely unmarked, outside a couple of tiny (and I mean tiny) door dings but all original paint throughout in very good condition although it would benefit from a detail to get rid of some light swirls and scratches.

Has been 100% reliable in my ownership. Replaced the battery last year but that is all it has needed. Everything works exactly as it should.

Unfortunately the service book was lost whilst "in trade" before I bought it. I confirmed it was sold by Soper Lincoln in 2012 as an approved used car and had a full history at that point. The MOT history is fine, stacks up with the above and it has had annual services in my ownership at 49k, 54k and 57k.

I bought it based purely on condition as it was obvious to me that the mileage was genuine, but appreciate the big gap in the history will hurt resale.

Really no idea where I should be pitching it! Thanks for any suggestions.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:57 pm

Loss of service book makes pricing problematic - maybe start at £9950 if you're in no rush to sell, otherwise £8950
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:02 pm

You can get a good idea if you do your homework. Price can be affected by a whole host of things. Including how urgent the sale is required. If you're looking for a quick approximate then I always use Cazana site, although I feel it's a tad overpriced in their "valuation". https://cazana.com/uk/car/LJ56VZG
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:06 pm

Mark_A wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:47 pm I confirmed it was sold by Soper Lincoln in 2012 as an approved used car and had a full history at that point.
Shouldn't be an issue, dealer should be able to pull receipts and past work and give you a copy. Even if the Lincoln isn't local, all the dealers have some sort of internal car network. Pop over to your nearest and give it a go? I got a full breakdown of all work carried out at BMW from mine - not receipts mind you but I'm sure it's possible.

Okay it's not original, but still better then saying its got FSH but paperwork is missing with no real evidence.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Mark_A

Post by Mark_A » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:21 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sale isn't urgent in any sense beyond the insurance having about one month to run and I'd prefer not to have to renew it.

I wasn't thinking anywhere near £10k to be honest. WBAC have offered £7k and I was thinking if I found a buyer who, like me, looked at condition rather than just the paperwork, then £8.5k privately, perhaps?

I did contact Soper at the time I bought it and they confirmed the history verbally but didn't want to send anything to me - said something about data protection. Might be worth trying my local dealer, I used to use them quite often with a different car a few years back...

AveZ4coop

Post by AveZ4coop » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:37 pm

I would say if you are willing to accept £8.5k you will get a quick sale, would aim for more. I think Marlon's approximate prices are spot on. :thumbsup:
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang:

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:36 pm

Am I allowed to state that I'd be interested at around £8,500?

I'm not a dealer, and I know nothing much about these coupes... I've just come to this board to do a bit of research and seen you with a car to sell in one of my preferred colours, with a very acceptable mileage & condition... Triumph GT6s have all was been my go-to two seater coupe of choice over the years when I've had an itch to scratch, but I've decided the Z coupe serves largely the same purpose but with a stack more refinement!

I'm just taking the view that the most I can lose (assuming WBAC were to deliver) is £1500, and if that's the most it's going to cost me to get this hankering out of my system I can afford that. Though the plan is to get a good few summers use, all going well.

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:06 pm

Mark_A wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:21 pm I did contact Soper at the time I bought it and they confirmed the history verbally but didn't want to send anything to me - said something about data protection.
Unless things have changed drastically in the last couple of years - and I know there is an imminent change in the law - then that is complete rubbish. Data protection applies to individuals, not motor vehicles or other inanimate objects. If they were concerned about data protection, then they shouldn't have said anything verbally to you either. I'd try asking them again, even offer an admin fee for their time - it would be worth it in increasing the car's value.
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:55 pm

No, BMW dealers won’t send you copies of the original invoices taken off the computer, because these list the owner's name and address at the time. Obviously it would be quite straightforward for them to doctor a printed copy to give you but this seems to be against their internal policies.

You can however ring each dealer and ask them over the phone to confirm details of what work was carried out on each visit. To find out what dealer visits the car had you can ring a BMW UK phone number (google it) or pay someone £20 on eBay to give you a list of dealer visits with dates and mileage.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:58 pm

With regards to value of your car, I would expect you to get no less than 8.5k for it, hopefully a bit more even with the lack of original service book. If the mileage can be backed up with servicing logs and MOT history then it’s more reliable than the service book anyway as you can buy forged ‘copies’ of these online for peanuts.

For ref, I paid £8300 for my 72k coupe (manual) coupe last August, with a similar service history issue.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:02 pm

I've sold my coupe with full history and similar miles for 9500 recently. I think you'll be able to pull off 8500-9000 without service book.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:08 pm

I think its a £9k car all day long , just serviced , 57k , recently refurbed 108s & pretty rare in monaco blue . Ok the no service record is a hurdle some buyers won't try to get over but that's their loss , by now at 12 yrs its purely a box to tick when looking for a car that buyers rightly like to see but there are many donkey's out there with FSH & a stamped book is no warranty going forward .
Buy on current condition & how it "feels"
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Mark_A

Post by Mark_A » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:40 pm

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the feedback.

I'll put an add or two up in various places at the weekend, assuming the weather improves and I can give it a clean and take a few current pics.

Will feed back how I get on in due course.

Cheers
Mark

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:10 pm

I'm in agreement with mr wilks. :thumbsup:

I see it as a £9,000 car too - if you followed-up on the history possibly a bit more depending how you get on.

After all 57K miles for a 12 year old car is very low!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Rufus59

Post by Rufus59 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:19 pm

Get the service history clarified if you can and i think you'll see 10k, can BMW give you the history? Without service history 9 would seem about right.

Re the data protection crap, I got told the same thing when enquiring service history of recent purchase which had a digital service history. Madness.
E85 3.0l i Roadster - Titan Silver