Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

wait... have I been robbed?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:19 pm

Z4C_er wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:32 pm Could someone recommend a reasonably priced door speaker please? I have the same setup - damn blanking plate in the door!!!
Not so straight forward, if you want it to sound good you will need to match the sensitivity of the footwell and tweeter and I am not sure if that data is available. If the speakers you fit are lower in sensitivity the mid range may appear attenuated, if they are higher in sensitivity (most likely) your bass may appear attenuated.

Mind you regardless, it is still likely to sound better than your current setup with no mid range speaker at all!

A better sounding option is to go for a three way set up and replace all your front speaker. I used Focal 165 AS3. But bear in mind it will be a fair amount of work to do a good job of the installation. As someone else posted sound deaden the panels while you are at it, then when you close your car doors they won't sound like a Mk 1 Fiat Uno.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:33 pm

Magicarcher wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:19 pm I used Focal 165 AS3. But bear in mind it will be a fair amount of work to do a good job of the installation. As someone else posted sound deaden the panels while you are at it, then when you close your car doors they won't sound like a Mk 1 Fiat Uno.
Hi did you install yourself? Where did you put the crossover? Would you mind sharing the wiring layout?
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

Limonge

Post by Limonge » Mon May 14, 2018 10:39 am

Z4C_er wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:33 pm Hi did you install yourself? Where did you put the crossover? Would you mind sharing the wiring layout?
Hello, have you had them installed already? I'm looking to have installed the AS3 set, and maybe some subs into the space behind the seats. If you're installing them, could you upload some pictures so I can copy? Thanks!! :oops:

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Mon May 14, 2018 11:03 am

No, haven't installed yet. I will be at some point, but I'm some way off. In another post, some peeps gave a lot of good info. I'll dig up the post and put here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105681
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Tue May 22, 2018 6:04 pm

Z4C_er wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:33 pm
Magicarcher wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:19 pm I used Focal 165 AS3. But bear in mind it will be a fair amount of work to do a good job of the installation. As someone else posted sound deaden the panels while you are at it, then when you close your car doors they won't sound like a Mk 1 Fiat Uno.
Hi did you install yourself? Where did you put the crossover? Would you mind sharing the wiring layout?
Sorry for delay only just spotted this.

The standard 6 way speaker setup in the front wires the footwell speakers in parallel with the tweeeter in the sail which has in inbuilt capacitor as a high pass filter.

What I did was:
  • Unplug and remove the footwell speaker, leave the wiring there must just unplug the speaker. Use the wiring as a direct connection to your new tweeter only
  • I fitted the crossover beneath/behind the array of switches by the gear lever (heated seats etc.). the crossover simply sat in place on the transmission tunnel and I used Velcro on the bottom which stuck to the carpet to stop it moving around (its a pretty tight fit TBH). I thermocoupled it up for a while to check it didn't get too hot and it wan't much above ambient at any time.
  • The output from the radio went to the input of the crossover
  • The existing wire, now only to tweeter went to crossover high
  • I ran a new pair of wires to each footwell speaker (can't remember gauge but think 2mm) and wired to xover low
  • On my car there were spare cavities on the door connector (pig to access on door side) so I ran a new pair of wires to the 3 mid range speaker using the spare cavities and tyco pins (possibly folded mirror cavities from memory). These connected to the xover mid
  • made all necessary adapter plates from ply (footwell speaker) and 2 or 3mm aluminium for mid 3" speaker
HTH
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Wed May 23, 2018 8:07 am

Haha I discovered the lack of speakers when I was adding soundproofing last week. So cheap :lol:
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>