Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fitting speakers to the cubbies for those with basic hi-fi...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:30 pm

Ok, decided I'd like to get a better soundstage from the rear of the Z4 so looking at fitting something in the cubby holes. I had already bought a good amp (Hertz HCP 2X) which I plan to mount on the rear bulkhead in the boot and some decent 6x9" Hertz HCX 690
3-way coaxials but unfortunately the speakers don't fit.

I don't want a box in the boot and I tend to have my seats all the way back so I think the cubbies are the only real option for me. This leads me to two questions:

1) The carver subs of the oem DSP systems are 6" (150mm) I believe, which is a bit of an unusual size. What speakers have people fitted to the cubbies that DEFINITELY go in OK. I have a feeling that a lot of 6.5" stuff will be ever so slightly too big. This leaves 5.25" (13cm) but they all seem a bit weedy. Ideally I'd just like to buy the OEM baffle plates from BMW but I think these will be cut for a 6" driver?

2) Can anybody say with certainty if the oem 4" speakers in the rears receive a full range signal or not? I'm expecting the wiring to be full range and maybe they just have a small cap in series locally to block the <100Hz stuff?? It's very convenient to pull the audio signal from these wires, especially as the amp has a remote on (speaker signal detect).
Last edited by ph001 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Z4 Gaz

Post by Z4 Gaz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:00 pm

Why would the 6x9 not fit?
I fitted these Kenwoods, that had a ruddy great magnet, followed by some JBL that are currently in there. Mounted on marine ply, 18m IIRC.

E85 3.0i

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:44 pm

I think it’s maybe because i’m using aluminium plate for the baffle rather than mdf. The plate is only 3mm thick so I guess it puts the speaker chassis closer.

I’ll buy some mdf and see if that works.
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Ok, did a template out of MDF. They won't go in :(

Seems like the HCX 690 are closer to 7" x 10". Bloody shame as they are great speakers but they will have to go on Ebay. Looking around for some decent component 6.5".
fr_877_size1024.jpg
fr_877_size1024.jpg (147.89 KiB) Viewed 2137 times

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:39 pm

Why do you want a better rear soundstage? Are you watching Saving Private Ryan on the satnav or something? :D

Seriously though, why not a dedicated, long-throw set of bass drivers and an upgrade of the front 2/3-way set? Unfortunately I don’t know much about car audio so can’t recommend a setup, but given the source material is 2 channel, the most you’d want a the rear is a bit of backfill, which could be delivered (with higher fidelity) by upgraded 4” speakers in the headrests.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:54 pm

I suppose it’s just because the rear 4” oem drivers seem woefully inadequate compared to the front. I think the oem front setup is very good - completely satisfied by it, but I like at least a good amount of midbass from behind...hence the upgrade.

I guess soundstage is the wrong word - i’m not really after dolby atmos in the Z as those roof speakers could prove tricky😂. Let’s call it a better rear ‘presence’.

C8H18

Post by C8H18 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:34 pm

I've got 6.5" Focal coaxials mounted in a home-made MDF template. OEM speaker grilles covering them. Signal diverted from the original rear speakers. Works a treat! :thumbsup:
2006 silver / muddy 3.0si roadster manual

Tinman6

Post by Tinman6 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:42 pm

C8H18 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:34 pm I've got 6.5" Focal coaxials mounted in a home-made MDF template. OEM speaker grilles covering them. Signal diverted from the original rear speakers. Works a treat! :thumbsup:
+1 for Focal, superb speakers, would definitely recommend

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:56 pm

Me and Focal had a bit of a falling out with home hifi. The crossovers they were using in their Chorus 826v and 836v floorstanders were utter junk. And we are talking £2k speakers here. Lost all faith in their products after that.

Coffee331

Post by Coffee331 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:05 am

MrPT wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:39 pm Why do you want a better rear soundstage? Are you watching Saving Private Ryan on the satnav or something? :D

Seriously though, why not a dedicated, long-throw set of bass drivers and an upgrade of the front 2/3-way set? Unfortunately I don’t know much about car audio so can’t recommend a setup, but given the source material is 2 channel, the most you’d want a the rear is a bit of backfill, which could be delivered (with higher fidelity) by upgraded 4” speakers in the headrests.
Unfortunately I don’t know much about car audio so can’t recommend a setup, but... :lol: :surrender: :surrender: :oldman:

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:28 am

I'd always go for a more dedicated 6,5" long throw subwoofer set.
The sets you've selected arent at all suitable for subwoofer applications.
You have to so some simulations to see which ones are suitable, which is a combination of the driver and the available space/box volume.
For the JL audio there are no thiele small parameters available (usually a sign for cheaply made lower end speakers) so no simulation is possible at all.
For the herz speaker I made a simple simulation and I set it out to a more dedicated 6,5" 4 ohm sub (a Tangband W6-1139SIF):
The red one is the Herz and the green one is the tangband and I've simulated them in a 5L closed chamber

You can see that the Herz woofer is completely blown away by the tangband that goes about 1 octave(!) lower
I'm sure there are loads more woofers that perform similary to the tangband or better, but this one was a fast and easy pick
The tangband is about 65-70quid/piece I believe
http://www.tb-speaker.com/products/w6-1139sif

It has an xmax (maximum linear throw of the conus) of 11,5mm (compared to the 4mm of the Herz speaker)
But I dont know if it'll fit. Tangband are specialized in small speakers so they have smaller dedicated long throw woofers.

Whatever you do, provide the subs with their own amp, with an active crossover (your herz amp already has that).
That will let you tune in the bass much better and a passive crossover always has a bad effect on low frequencies (the series coil in the low frequency filter changes the thiele/small parameters in such a way that it hurts the low frequency response)

If you have the normal sound system (so I believe also no mids in the doors) you can also upgrade the woofers in the footwells.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:36 am

Coffee331 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:05 am
MrPT wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:39 pm Why do you want a better rear soundstage? Are you watching Saving Private Ryan on the satnav or something? :D

Unfortunately I don’t know much about car audio so can’t recommend a setup, but... :lol: :surrender: :surrender: :oldman:
Hah. I mean I don’t have a clue about brands of speakers, amps etc, but yeah, fair point and strong emoji-fu :D

Probably just jealous that ph is upgrading his car and I’m shopping for off white emulsion paint... :cry:
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:56 am

This is impressive work. I have to admit I'm very surprised that different drivers of the same diameter in the same enclosure have such varying bottom end response. Can I ask what software you are using to simulate that, and is there a download link?

I'll have a look at the W6-1139SIF, in the meantime I just spotted some bargain MOREL TEMPO ULTRA 602 on Ebay. I know Morel have a great rep but I'm struggling to find parameters for them. Would be interesting to see how they perform in your simulation.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:10 pm

I use WinISD for simulating (but there are loads of other programs)
WinISD is free and has a database for lots of speakers, however these kinds of car audio speakers arent in it so you have to add the thiele/small parameters from those drivers to the database
WinISD:
http://www.linearteam.org/

Those morel speakers fall in the line of the earlier JL audio's
Theyre not dedicated subwoofers, but what we call a 'compo set'. Usually designed to be fitted in the doors (so a bass-mid driver and a tweeter). If they publish thiele/small parameters for the woofer, they;ll be in the line of the Herz speakers, so not really suitable for low frequency generation. All those kind of speakers will never perform well in the low frequency range because they dont have the sufficient linear excursion of the membrane and dont have the sufficient mass in the membrane. If they had, they wouldnt be able to produce good mid tones (and wouldnt be suitable for a compo set).
So if you want a dedicated sub in the cubbyholders, look for woofers with a large rubber surround (that usually means large Xmax) and a beefy magnet (needed to drive a heavy membrane).
The DD 506 sub is also pretty good in low volumes:
http://ddaudio.com/products/subwoofers/ ... eries/500/
Here it is (blue) compared to the tangband (green) in a 5L cabinet where the tangband imho still performs better and can produce more volume due to its larger xmax (12mm vs 9mm):

But watch what happens in a 2L cabinet:

The tangband will start to sound boomy (bad impulse characteristic in 2l) because the parameter QTC (which is the total dampening of the system) gets too high. (winisd also calculates that number). As a rule of thumb you want to have the QTC (sometimes called Qbox) to be aroud 0,7 (or lower) but certainly not higher as 0,9.

I simulated all closed cabinets.
You can also think of bass reflex, but I dont know if there is room for a suitable bass reflex pipe (both in lenght and in width, but mainly lengt as these combination of parameters usually require long reflex pipes)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:09 pm

You may claim to know not a lot about audio, but I have you spot on, why have a rear soundstage, that's like going to a concert and turning your back to the band, it just isn't going to sound right.
GuidoK wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:28 am I'd always go for a more dedicated 6,5" long throw subwoofer set.
With you 100%, have you considered Reckhorn D165, half the price of the Tangband and very well made German loudspeakers.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.