Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

OBD2 Scanner

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Fat Yucca

OBD2 Scanner

Post by Fat Yucca » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:44 pm

Hi all,

I have spent a fair bit of my life recently researching OBD2 scanners for my Z, and I eventually settled for the Autel MD802 All Systems for £176 through Amazon. I thought I'd share my findings with any one also considering an OBD scanner.

You will notice that it's not the cheapest scanner on the market, but I chose this one for various reasons, these are some of the considerations I made:

Not all scanners are the same, many of the less expensive varieties only communicate with the engine fault module (basically any thing that would cause the MIL light to come on), and don't always clear the error code even if the fault has been repaired. The Autel MD802 is available as a version that only reads the engine fault codes, so if you want some thing that can do more than this, go for the 'All Systems' version.

Another thing to consider is that some units will only work with one particular manufacturer, or group of manufacturers. The Autel MD802 is available as what they call the DIY version, that only works with one manufacturer. This is an option worth considering as it is around half the price, and you can down load additional manufacturers for an additional £7 each should you wish. Some of the reviews for this scanner however reported issues with software up dates, and as I have 2 other non BMWs in the house hold, I went for the full fat option. It is worth noting that some scanners are manufacturer specific, or cast £70 for addition marques. This presented the Autel as a good option to me.

Its also worth mentioning that some systems only give you the fault code, but not what it means. The Autel tells you what the code relates to, and i'm sure i read somewhere, suggested repair options.

I was very excited when it arrived the other day and dashed out in the rain to have a play. It comes in a hard case, with cables and software required. Unfortunately this where things went a bit wrong. I trying to plug it in to the OBD2 socket on the car, but it was very tight. I used a couple of other scanners in the past so I know they fit, but after a bit of 'persuasion', I managed to force the socket up inside the dash board.

I tried it on my Octavia, and was pleased to find that it works at least, (apparently there is an error with lower limit of the horn...).

So back to the Z. I was able to retrieve the socket by removing the vent next to the head light switch. It appears I have broken the sliding clip on the holder, so there is little resistance to push the lead in against. There are 4 lugs on the sides of the holder that when pushed in will allow you to remove it form the panel.
I managed to connect it directly to the socket, but it was still quite tight. I noticed that 2 of the female pins where damaged on the car's OBD2 socket, but also the pins in the scanner's plug are also a lot chunkier that my other cheaper scanner. Not sue if they were damaged before but they are now. So just a word of caution there.

Any way, it was working and talking to the Z. Yippee! I went through the menus to find my specific model and opted for a full scan. It took a few minutes and listed various passes and fails for different systems. It identified the fault with the air bag system and which of my reversing sensors were faulty, both problems I was aware of. It also found many others that I wasn't aware of and not sure I understand just yet, including faulty side lights, tail lights and high level parking light. However the lights all work, so not sure what that means just yet. Im not an auto technician, so I have much to learn!

It has at least identified problems with specific parts hopefully eliminating the need to change random parts until the fault goes away.

It can also save the errors of particular cars to an SD card, allowing you to print off a report, and graphically display live data from various sensors, though I haven't tried this yet.

Its a shame the pins in the plug are on the chunky side making it the connection too tight, but other than that I'm pleased with it. I am not sure if the socket on the car was already damaged, but I am sourcing a new socket and holder. It is possible to get a splitter for the port (why you'd want to split it to give you 2 sockets I'm not sure) but my intension is to use one of these as a go between to protect the socket on the car from the fat pins on the scanner plug.

This post went on longer than intended, but I hope someone finds it of use should you be considering an ODB2 scanner for their Z4/other cars.

Cheers,

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

OBD2 Scanner

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:02 pm

Interesting review OP - I keep thinking about getting something to read and clear codes.

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it needs to be used with a laptop? :oops:

But the DIY option might work for me as I only need BMW - my daily is an E91, Mrs Tidy has an R56 Mini, sister has an R50 Mini and nephew has an E46. I assume it would work on all of those.

But the tight fit in the OBD port is a bit worrying. :o
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Fat Yucca

OBD2 Scanner

Post by Fat Yucca » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:35 pm

Hi Mr Tidy, no lap top or additional hardware required, its a stand alone hand held unit with its own screen. I will update with findings on the adapter cable, just a shame the standard cable isn't quite right.

jpvd

OBD2 Scanner

Post by jpvd » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:56 pm

i bought one of these a couple of weeks back > https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Creator-C310 ... 2749.l2649

works great - used it to reset the airbag light after installing the seat sensor bypass (just have the seatbelt alarm to sort now!)

read all the codes from most of the systems, so perfect for my needs.....

Bronzeage

OBD2 Scanner

Post by Bronzeage » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:59 am

Thanks for the post! I have going mad trying to find a diagnostic tool - so many options out there - i might just get this one. Should work on a Z4 M right?!

Ala5dair

OBD2 Scanner

Post by Ala5dair » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:45 pm

I realise that this post is a year old, but could anyone update on whether it’s possible to customise settings with this unit? I was looking at the C310 or Carista, but neither seem to have this option for my E85. My ABS and brake lights have just come on (orange) indicating an ABS failure, and I want to check this before I visit a dealer, but I’d also like to adjust things like the three flash indicator and cancel the buzzers when engaging reverse....
2004 3.0i SE in titanium silver with clear third brake and side lights. Black interior.
M-Sport suspension, 18” 107 mag ellipsoids, ZHP, xenons, cruise control and stubby

Zoomer

OBD2 Scanner

Post by Zoomer » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:52 pm

jpvd wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:56 pm i bought one of these a couple of weeks back > https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Creator-C310 ... 2749.l2649

works great - used it to reset the airbag light after installing the seat sensor bypass (just have the seatbelt alarm to sort now!)

read all the codes from most of the systems, so perfect for my needs.....
Just had one of these as well and used it on seat bypass and also this week on wheel abs sensor( 3 lights on dash plus low pressure for tyres). It’s nice and small as well so easy to carry in the car
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

scarlet-jester

OBD2 Scanner

Post by scarlet-jester » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:32 am

I have a small bluetooth OBD plug and use Tourque on Android for diagnostics, engine data and fault clearing.

If you mount your phone you can use it to display live engine data and it has some pretty cool configuration options too.

https://torque-bhp.com/
E85 - 2006 3.0Si

terryo

OBD2 Scanner

Post by terryo » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:34 am

i recently purchased a OBD scanner from an ebay seller that came bundled with software called Car scanner V1.4.0. It sort of works on my 2006 Z4 and i can read fault messages, but some of the "adjustable" features like changing how doors lock and unlock that some people talk about. cant be found.
After a lot of searching it seems much the same issues have been found by owners of other BMW models, especially the E46. I have also found out the bundled software is probably not the latest version. I got V1.4.0.7 and .9 seems to be latest. (its all Win7 and there does not seem to be an upgrade to more recent)
Dozens of links i've found on other BMW sites, no longer work
Does anyone here have this software and can help me??
thanks