Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New car - Grom/Parrot? Gaptech? Gear knobs?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:33 pm

Hi guys - well after joining up a few weeks ago and following threads on this forum to learn things, and keeping an eye on what's advertised round and about, we've finally and officially joined the club of zed owners! :D
I say "we", because it's my son who has actually bought the car. It will be his daily driver - albeit low mileage daily driving - with me sometimes borrowing it. And with an unofficial option when he eventually trades up, for it to become my weekend, fair weather car.

The car's a December 2006 build E85, 2.0 SE with 67k miles. Pretty much what we were after - got the heated leather; but folding mirrors and DPC would have good.

So there's a few initial things to do with it: replace/wrap the aluminium trim (got a few scratches); illuminated gear knob; gaptech and bluetooth. Could do without the expense in one hit, but seems to be logical to get these done at the same time.

First question - The stereo is the usual Business CD system, with aux socket. We want bluetooth telephony and audio streaming; so is it to be Grom or Parrot? Any particular advantages/disadvantages associated with either system? What stands out to me is, I think, the lack of visual interface with the Grom; though with Grom it is possible to get a USB socket and DAB radio... but then the radio could be streamed via bluetooth. Hmmm. But what about ease of fitting, compatibility, reliability etc?
Oh, and it's not for iphone. Just Android phones.

Second question - Gaptech. Worth it? Best place to get it? Just one version, or alternative options? Ease of fitting, reliability etc?

Third, and final, question - Gear knobs! :D Is illuminated worth the cost/effort? How simple is fitting? Best place to get one?

Many thanks in advance for your opinions.

Cheers

PS - I know someone will ask for photos, and I'll get round to it. But it's black, shiny and red inside.

Edited: to clarify iphone free zone!
Last edited by Sidewaze Samm on Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:50 pm

Welcome

Had neither grom or parrot,
If you're iPhone users maybe look at intravee

Gaptech buy new, as second hand people want almost as much,

Gear knob, don't rule out storm werks, unless you must have illuminated
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

chapeau

Post by chapeau » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:54 pm

I added bluetooth in my car by using a kitsound myjack plugged into the end of the aux cable which i routed to up by the steering column. Does the job and was only a tenner from sainsburys with the weekly shop.

I haven't got a gaptech but would consider it. I believe the key can be programmed without a gaptech to open the roof as you unlock, but the gaptech one touch open and close via the buttons would be useful to have. They do come up for sale now and then on here but you may have to wait a while. Probably easier just to buy new and direct from gaptech.

Upgrading from the standard se gearknob to the zhp (although not illuminates) was a great improvement. Makes the gear change so much more precise and comfortable. Have no idea where to get the illuminated one from but i think its just two wires that nees to be connected up to a suitable live feed.
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Welcome to the forum OP (and your son)!

I think "chapeau" has answered your questions. :thumbsup:

All I'd add is I have also fitted a ZHP gear-knob - I wasn't bothered about illumination.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 pm

Sidewaze Samm wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:33 pm First question - The stereo is the usual Business CD system, with aux socket. We want bluetooth telephony and audio streaming; so is it to be Grom or Parrot? Any particular advantages/disadvantages associated with either system? What stands out to me is, I think, the lack of visual interface with the Grom; though with Grom it is possible to get a USB socket and DAB radio... but then the radio could be streamed via bluetooth. Hmmm. But what about ease of fitting, compatibility, reliability etc?
Oh, and it's not for iphone. Just Android phones.

PS - I know someone will ask for photos, and I'll get round to it. But it's black, shiny and red inside.
I pulled a Parrot out of my E86 to replace it with a Grom with Bluetooth and handsfree kit. I have had five Grom installations now and very happy with them. Easy enough to DIY fit. Another advantage is that they work using the original radio and steering wheel controls, so are intuitive to use.

ps Good photo, I can imagine how nice the car looks !
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

ADent

Post by ADent » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:07 am

I just got my car recently. The ZHP shift knob is ready to be installed.
Looks like GROM is the way to go, but it gets pricey if you have the DSP (like I do). I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:28 am

Gaptech is a must have and buy direct it's not that expensive.

Gear knob I personally don't see the attraction it's just a lever but I have an automatic. Royals steering wheel though well worth it.

As for parrot/grom. I have the DSP carver system so I needed to buy a new amp -£600, new head unit -£200, and get the full thing rewired with manual crossovers. There was no other option to add Bluetooth without ripping apart the centre console and throwing away the 6 cd changer. I still have the 6 cd changer but it doesn't work it's just a showpiece.

It cost me like £1500 to put Bluetooth,etc all in however I am used to high quality sound. A £10 solution wasn't for me. So choose a solution you will be happy with.

Anyone who has sat in mine has been blown away by the sound.

I've used parrot in the past and there remote controls are crap and expensive to replace at £45 a pop when they break.

I'd try and go for an option without the remote if possible like the tablet version. The one I had installed in the mini was £200 and it was very good but the remote ruined it for me. Useless without the remote and it broke easily.

I have a lot of scratches on my aluminium trim I just live with it. It's an old car and it's supposed to have wear. My seats could do with a bit of a leather refresh. A job for the summer.

Why did you go for the 2 litre? The sound of the straight 6 with the roof down is worth the additional £10 a week in petrol.

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:18 pm

NickDE wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 pm I pulled a Parrot out of my E86 to replace it with a Grom with Bluetooth and handsfree kit. I have had five Grom installations now and very happy with them. Easy enough to DIY fit. Another advantage is that they work using the original radio and steering wheel controls, so are intuitive to use.
Five Grom installations? I assume in five cars and that their reliability has been OK?
I don't have steering wheel controls :( and wonder about the functionality through the head unit display - If Grom has no display unit (?) does an incoming phone call display the number on the stereo head unit? Is there any access to the phone book through the display, or must you use the phone itself? And how do you answer a call without steering wheel controls?

Thanks for any help on this

Cheers
2008 E85 3.0si

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:24 pm

SonnyA85 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:28 am Why did you go for the 2 litre? The sound of the straight 6 with the roof down is worth the additional £10 a week in petrol.
As mentioned, it's my son's car so insurance was a consideration, along with him being on a tight budget. There's just not many sixes about for what he had to spend, but mainly because he wasn't bothered about it - it's still almost twice the bhp of his last car. Now if it had been up to me...
2008 E85 3.0si

csquire4

Post by csquire4 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:34 pm

Congrats on the purchase. Changing or repainting the aluminium trim is feasible however taking out the centre console piece is a major effort and not for the faint hearted. I did it last summer to get my wooden trim painted piano black.

I'm lucky as my Zed is a second car so I could take my time as I am very inexperienced when it comes to these sorts of things. Lots fo threads on trim removal on this forum.

In terms of gear knobs I found the Stormwerks V2 better and heavier than the ZHP but both are better then standard. :thumbsup:
2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:38 am

Grom bt3 is perfectly fine. You may find as I did the speakers are knackered when playing a digital signal and the sound quality is pretty poor. Changing to some rubber coned speakers made the world of difference. It's not am.easy install to get the cd changer out though. The whole rear console has to come out. It's bit of an iceberg and twice the size of what you can actually see.

On the plus side, if you carpet the whole that's left, double sided tape the grom unit to the bulk head and stuff the wiring down the back you gain a pretty big storage area.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:39 pm

Sidewaze Samm wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:18 pm
NickDE wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 pm I pulled a Parrot out of my E86 to replace it with a Grom with Bluetooth and handsfree kit. I have had five Grom installations now and very happy with them. Easy enough to DIY fit. Another advantage is that they work using the original radio and steering wheel controls, so are intuitive to use.
Five Grom installations? I assume in five cars and that their reliability has been OK?
I don't have steering wheel controls :( and wonder about the functionality through the head unit display - If Grom has no display unit (?) does an incoming phone call display the number on the stereo head unit? Is there any access to the phone book through the display, or must you use the phone itself? And how do you answer a call without steering wheel controls?

Cheers
Sidewaze Samm wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:18 pm

Cheers
Yes, five different cars. Reliability with all have been good. One has been in my E46 since 2011 with no issues.

You can control the GROM via the main set of controls if you don't have the steering wheel controls. I have an iPod connected and can choose playlists, and skip/repeat/fast forward tracks etc. Artist and track displays on my basic radio display.
I'm not sure if phone number displays, but I can answer an incoming call using the up button on the radio. To make a call I prefer to stop and use the phone anyway.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic