Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

should I replace the shock bump stops?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:47 pm

I've now received my new shock absorbers and have everything ready to fit them...except for the bump stops.

A few members have said to just re-use the OEM bump stops. These will now be 15 years & 124,000 miles old on my Z4, so are probably a little worse for wear.

I've bought Bilstein B4 shocks, which are 'SE spec'. Will it be ok to put my 'sport suspension' bump stops on these, or will I need to purchase 'SE spec' bump stops?

There are plenty of aftermarket (Sachs, Febi Bilstein) options for 'SE spec' bump stops, but NONE for 'sport spec'. They are just bit's of foam after all. I just imagine the sport ones will be marginally shorter.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Mine had m sport stuff from the factory i used my existing one's on the b4 shocks. When I took them off they look pretty damn good for 12 years old, so I just decided to reuse them.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:44 pm

MACK wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:54 pm Mine had m sport stuff from the factory i used my existing one's on the b4 shocks. When I took them off they look pretty damn good for 12 years old, so I just decided to reuse them.
Cheers Mack, exactly what I needed to hear. I just had a quick look at mine and the fronts seem in decent condition, so definitely re-useable.
_20180321_154618.JPG
_20180321_154618.JPG (284.2 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
The rears are crumbling a bit though, so they'll need replacing, along with one of the rear dust covers, which has a crack in it.

Spring plates look fine too. No corrosion from what I can see and feel, just a bit of surface rust. Will give them a coat of hammerite before they go back on :thumbsup:

The aim is to get the front shocks fitted this weekend, as I need my car for work and my dads garage is currently occupied by his Kuga, which he's selling :headbang: So it'll be an 'at the roadside' job :cry:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Coffee331

Post by Coffee331 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:35 pm

I changed mine recently...it was utter torture, particularly getting the new springs mounted. :headbang:

Best of luck with the install. :thumbsup:

Ant

Post by Ant » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:38 pm

ben g wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:47 pm I've now received my new shock absorbers and have everything ready to fit them...except for the bump stops.

A few members have said to just re-use the OEM bump stops. These will now be 15 years & 124,000 miles old on my Z4, so are probably a little worse for wear.

I've bought Bilstein B4 shocks, which are 'SE spec'. Will it be ok to put my 'sport suspension' bump stops on these, or will I need to purchase 'SE spec' bump stops?

There are plenty of aftermarket (Sachs, Febi Bilstein) options for 'SE spec' bump stops, but NONE for 'sport spec'. They are just bit's of foam after all. I just imagine the sport ones will be marginally shorter.
replace them, i'd be amazed if they're not already in bits tbh (the rears anyway), you should be able to touch the rear ones just putting your hand in there, mine are f***ed basically just a tube now, replacing hem next week

sport bump stops were grand on them, cheap anyway at least.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:50 pm

Ant wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:38 pm
ben g wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:47 pm I've now received my new shock absorbers and have everything ready to fit them...except for the bump stops.

replace them, i'd be amazed if they're not already in bits tbh (the rears anyway), you should be able to touch the rear ones just putting your hand in there, mine are f***ed basically just a tube now, replacing hem next week

sport bump stops were grand on them, cheap anyway at least.
How much did the sport bump stops cost you? My nearest dealer is a good 30 minute drive away, so I don't fancy driving there to be told they're an absolute fortune :lol: :thumbsup:

Ant

Post by Ant » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:36 pm

ben g wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:50 pm How much did the sport bump stops cost you? My nearest dealer is a good 30 minute drive away, so I don't fancy driving there to be told they're an absolute fortune :lol: :thumbsup:
Less than £20 for the pair, but i'd ring up first, mine had to be ordered in from germany and took a week to get here, that's why i had to tape them up for the mot at the time and hope it got through, and only changing them this time around

2x black tubes with the foam/rubber bit at the top

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Genuine- ... Swa~BYV-Ba

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:23 pm

Ant wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:36 pm
Less than £20 for the pair, but i'd ring up first, mine had to be ordered in from germany and took a week to get here, that's why i had to tape them up for the mot at the time and hope it got through, and only changing them this time around

cheers for that :thumbsup: I assume that link is for 1 foam bump stop and 1 protection tube? so i'll need 2 of those at nearly £40. daylight robbery for a bit of foam and plastic :cry:

Ant

Post by Ant » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:12 pm

ben g wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:23 pm

cheers for that :thumbsup: I assume that link is for 1 foam bump stop and 1 protection tube? so i'll need 2 of those at nearly £40. daylight robbery for a bit of foam and plastic :cry:
nope should come as a pair for £20, mine came in a sealed bag like that

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:50 pm

I recently replaced the springs and shocks. My train of thought was whilst it's all apart I would replace all the other bits. Top bearing, nuts and bolts bump stops etc.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:46 pm

Ant wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:12 pm
ben g wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:23 pm

nope should come as a pair for £20, mine came in a sealed bag like that
Ok cheers mate, i'll email them and see if that is the case.