Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Advice Required On A Potential Purchase RED 3.0SI Coupe (Pics Inside)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift

What You Think, Yes or No!

Yes
52%
No
41%
I Dont Care, Only Here Because I Am At Work
8%

Total votes: 64

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:10 pm

mr wilks wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:39 pm
Looney wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:23 pm
Marlon wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:15 pm Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting the OP buys as an investment. Regardless of the uniqueness of the colour or mileage, these cars won't climb in value - at best they may hold their price for a while if your lucky.
I'm bought mine with the heart not the head - I have piled on the miles and enjoyed every one.
If I wanted to sell it I'd get no where near what I paid.
I bought it to enjoy it :driving:
isnt that what we should doing, cars vs hearts. Sensible option would be to buy a FSH car on here for £1000 more.
& what would that FSH guarantee you ?
The car you are considering has 56k on it with 2 documented services so worse case scenario its possibly done 18kish between changes . on longlife oil ? It aint gonna suddenly explode
It may even have had one or 2 done that aren't stamped ?
Ok its fallen out of the time schedule required by Bmw (mainly for warranty purposes) but lets get to the basics here , it aint a highly strung tweaked to the max high performance engine , its a straight 6 na bmw N52 built to perform at a decent output for a longtime , it isn't the S54 M engine that requires a lot of maintenance & attention just to avoid major problems
Id be amazed if there is any longterm issues that have or could arise from its infrequent service record , there just isnt anything major to go wrong that the services would have prevented especially in 56k miles
Buy the car unserviced & get it properly up to date with oil+filter , brake fluid , coolant , plugs , cabin filter , air filter & change the gearbox oil , you would already have covered virtually all that at a decent indy instead of wasting £300 asking the RAC to look it over & tell you the brake lines look corroded , the pads look worn , its due a service , both rear spring has been replaced at some point , headlight misted over blahblahblah
You can hear the car ticking over , it clearly has no hva issue which can affect some N52s , i really can't see what folks are getting sand in their fanny over with this car :cry:
Super thread this & great comments for & against. I spent a year finding the right Zed for me, read loads in this forum & only joined once I'd made my decision. Mine doesn't have a full service history, has had quite a few owners but there is a fair amount of paperwork & on inspection it does look well looked after. The mileage wasn't too high & the spec, colour & price was right for me. I have no regrets so far but I have spent a little bit for piece of mind i.e. oil service, brake fluid, ccv system replacement etc. + a few nice to haves & there's a list ( just need to hide those from her indoors :D )
IMHO just check it's not been in a major accident & if you're prepared to get it up to the spec you want then go for it. :thumbsup:
Zedless :(

garnierz4

Post by garnierz4 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:22 pm

Don't buy it. Let me buy it. I can see the dealership from my flat...

Saturday AM is the day to buy a new car :rofl:

Looney

Post by Looney » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:30 pm

garnierz4 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:22 pm Don't buy it. Let me buy it. I can see the dealership from my flat...

Saturday AM is the day to buy a new car :rofl:
Can you go take a look and take some pics :D
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:44 pm

Joining this saga at a late stage. If i was in the market for a red coupe (which I'm not) my heart would be saying "go for it" whilst my head would be saying "are you completely bonkers?".

FWIW I would do what the OP is doing - getting in properly checked out.

I am fascinated to see how this ends. I do hope that the car is fundamentally sound and that we end up with a happy OP.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

garnierz4

Post by garnierz4 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:49 pm

I doubt I'll be able to get near the car, from the pics it's in the locked lot round the back. Bookings get brought round the front. This is the city centre branch and the showroom isn't the biggest. I take you have seen this one, much closer to you:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... New&page=2

Looney

Post by Looney » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:51 pm

garnierz4 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:49 pm I doubt I'll be able to get near the car, from the pics it's in the locked lot round the back. Bookings get brought round the front. This is the city centre branch and the showroom isn't the biggest. I take you have seen this one, much closer to you:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... New&page=2
Yeh contacted the guy, he doesnt show you the other side of the car where he has scrapped it all up.
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

Looney

Post by Looney » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:55 pm

The side he doesnt show.
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:59 pm

garnierz4 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:22 pm Don't buy it. Let me buy it. I can see the dealership from my flat...

Saturday AM is the day to buy a new car
So what are you doing tomorrow morning then? :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Looney

Post by Looney » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:13 pm

Looney wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:55 pm Image
The side he doesnt show.
Guessing that is a bumper replacement minimum
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

garnierz4

Post by garnierz4 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:14 pm

RE: The black coop. What a nob - posting a 10 year old scuffed motor as mint on autotrader and asking 10k for it. I hope he gets a million tyre kickers walking around his driveway.

Tomorrow I will try and see that Hellrot red Coupe at Arnold Clarks, out of interest if nothing else. Will try and get some pics. If I can convince my missus to make an appearance they might even let me take it for a hurl over the Tay bridge. That's the test run route from that branch, over the bridge and into Fife. As soon as you exit the bridge, it's a 70mph uphill dual carriageway :evil: Take care in the wet.

Just for the record, when I bought a car last year from Arnold I wasn't impressed. Their idea of a valet is a quick rinse under the jetwash. I didn't get the mats I paid for either and the 'sales' was a joke. They tell you your 'on the road price' is like 1k over the car's advertised price and explain to you that this includes all manner of s**t that you don't want, such as every possible type of insurance available. You can easily turn all this down and only pay the ticket price, but buying a new car should be 100% fun and not leave you feeling like someone's trying to drain every last penny from your bank account. But all that said, the car is what it is and Arnold can't take anything away from that.

Looney

Post by Looney » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:25 pm

garnierz4 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:14 pm RE: The black coop. What a nob - posting a 10 year old scuffed motor as mint on autotrader and asking 10k for it. I hope he gets a million tyre kickers walking around his driveway.

Tomorrow I will try and see that Hellrot red Coupe at Arnold Clarks, out of interest if nothing else. Will try and get some pics. If I can convince my missus to make an appearance they might even let me take it for a hurl over the Tay bridge. That's the test run route from that branch, over the bridge and into Fife. As soon as you exit the bridge, it's a 70mph uphill dual carriageway :evil: Take care in the wet.

Just for the record, when I bought a car last year from Arnold I wasn't impressed. Their idea of a valet is a quick rinse under the jetwash. I didn't get the mats I paid for either and the 'sales' was a joke. They tell you your 'on the road price' is like 1k over the car's advertised price and explain to you that this includes all manner of s**t that you don't want, such as every possible type of insurance available. You can easily turn all this down and only pay the ticket price, but buying a new car should be 100% fun and not leave you feeling like someone's trying to drain every last penny from your bank account. But all that said, the car is what it is and Arnold can't take anything away from that.
If they have any issues just say i sent you to have a look, i have a £300 reserve on it. No idea if that actually means anything,
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

Looney

Post by Looney » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:41 am

Its actually been relisted.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... obcid=soc3

Download the app to find your perfect car.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... %2520Share

Not sure what happens to my £300. Dodgy.
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:41 am

Looney wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:41 am Its actually been relisted.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... obcid=soc3

Download the app to find your perfect car.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... %2520Share

Not sure what happens to my £300. Dodgy.
They've probably had enough of waiting for you to buy it :lol: Ignore the rubbish being spouted on here and just go for it. It looks a great car at that price.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:43 am

Looney wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:13 pm
Looney wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:55 pm Image
The side he doesnt show.
Guessing that is a bumper replacement minimum
Jesus christ. Bumper replacement :lol: no, jusy a simple spray job. Even a smart repairer could do that.

Theres some very over dramatic people on here.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:44 am

If the op actually buys this, I can't wait for the 12 page thread where he tries to make up his mind whether to have a stubby or a whippy....

NOT...

Mike