Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Advice Required On A Potential Purchase RED 3.0SI Coupe (Pics Inside)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift

What You Think, Yes or No!

Yes
52%
No
41%
I Dont Care, Only Here Because I Am At Work
8%

Total votes: 64

Looney

Post by Looney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:09 am

Hi All,

I am new here but would really appreciate your views on this purchase.

Ive been looking for now 6-8 months for a 3.0si Coupe (E86), seen afew but i was never 100% commited to the car.

Last week a RED ! E86 came online on Auto-trader, great price, low miles etc so i enquired about the car in which is in Dundee Scotland (400 Miles From Me!).

They will sell me the car with 6 months tax / 2 months used car warranty for £9700, 56000 on the clock. I really like the colour but i haven't seen the car in person, the garage is Arnold Clark which is a large business so gives me re-assurance.

Here is a walk around the car: https://www.arnoldclarkcarpreview.com/vtJMBNrnSKN

Car Images:

Note: It has an Aero Front Bumper??????

--- They came back yesterday and said this

"Good morning Tom

With regards the Z4. We have had the workshop checklist through last night. And unfortunately the bill is too high for us to consider doing the work on the car. However, after looking at the bill, the most expensive part appears to be a replacement Glovebox at just over £700! I have been up to the car myself this morning and have attached photographs of the broken glovebox. If you are willing to accept the car with the glovebox the way it is, then my manager will authorise the remaining work to be carried out. If not, then unfortunately the car will be going to the auctions.

The additional work that would be getting authorised would be: The drivers side headlight, front and rear pads including the sensors, two tyres, a service, and an MOT.

I did sit online last night when I got home, and have seen that you can get a used glovebox for this car for around £50-60. Unfortunately we cannot fit used parts to vehicles as part of our company policy. It was more just out of curiosity that I had a look. As it would be a shame to see you miss out on this car.

If you could let me know what you would like to do before my Manager makes the decision on whether to go ahead with the work, or if we have to send the car to trade.

Thank you"

Glovebox:

I really want to purchase it but am so nervous!!

Help me Z4 Masters!
Last edited by Looney on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Advice Required On A Potential Purchase

Post by Marlon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:22 am

Plus points - its a Red 3.0si Coupe, very rare and if its red you are after they don't come up very often.

The glove box situation sounds a bit odd, I'd have a good long chat with the dealer - when and why was the front bumper replaced? Also the second pic show a strange gap at the top of the door jam (could just be the camera angle?). it may be worth securing it with a deposit pending a test drive and a good look over. Also give you time to check out the second hand glove box situation.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Looney

Advice Required On A Potential Purchase

Post by Looney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:25 am

Marlon wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:22 am Plus points - its a Red 3.0si Coupe, very rare and if its red you are after they don't come up very often.
The glove box situation sounds a bit odd, I'd have a good long chat with the dealer - it may be worth securing it with a deposit pending a test drive. Also give you time to check out the second hand glove box situation.
Thanks, I think its looks stunning just worried about its been abused? Aero Bodykit ? Broken Glovebox?
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:27 am

Looney wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:25 am
Marlon wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:22 am Plus points - its a Red 3.0si Coupe, very rare and if its red you are after they don't come up very often.
The glove box situation sounds a bit odd, I'd have a good long chat with the dealer - it may be worth securing it with a deposit pending a test drive. Also give you time to check out the second hand glove box situation.
Thanks, I think its looks stunning just worried about its been abused? Aero Bodykit ? Broken Glovebox?
Just updated my post as you were responding

check out the MOT history here: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ ... 1474878281
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

bobo075

Post by bobo075 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:37 am

the car seems to be nice and has also aero side skirt ;)

Looney

Post by Looney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:37 am

Marlon wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:27 am
Looney wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:25 am
Just updated my post as you were responding

check out the MOT history here: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ ... 1474878281
Its tough, £300 deposit & £250 return flights just to test drive it....
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

Looney

Post by Looney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:39 am

bobo075 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:37 am the car seems to be nice and has also aero side skirt ;)
Well that makes me think it would be more looked after and the front bumper wasnt a crash/replace/fix job.
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:41 am

Is that condensation on or in the headlights?

If they’re worried about fitting a new glovebox, then wait until they price up a new headlight :P

Something broke on my glovebox about a year after I got it...but only on one side. I found the broken bit and epoxied it back together. Has been like that for over 100k miles now.

I don’t know if the “buy it as it is or we auction it” comment is a pressure selling tactic or genuine - just because they’re a big company doesn’t mean the salesman don’t have targets to meet.

Also, how can they give you 6 months road tax when road tax is refunded on the sale of a vehicle?
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Looney

Post by Looney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:44 am

mmm-five wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:41 am Is that condensation on or in the headlights?

If they’re worried about fitting a new glovebox, then wait until they price up a new headlight :P

Something broke on my glovebox about a year after I got it...but only on one side. I found the broken bit and epoxied it back together. Has been like that for over 100k miles now.

I don’t know if the “buy it as it is or we auction it” comment is a pressure selling tactic or genuine - just because they’re a big company doesn’t mean the salesman don’t have targets to meet.

Also, how can they give you 6 months road tax when road tax is refunded on the sale of a vehicle?
That the drivers headlight is the one they are trying to source at the moment and will be included in the sale, along with all the brake pads / sensors / 2 tyres / new MOT and a service.

No idea on the comment but i googled the glovebox and apparently its not a technical fix.
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

bobo075

Post by bobo075 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:48 am

and for the driver headlight I am nearly sure that it is just the piece at the back with the seal to change... which is about 15£ at BMW.

You should ask if the hood was well closed on the picture on the driver side...

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:50 am

Looks nice, shame no Xenons but otherwise a reasonable spec.

The MOT history is interesting though, suggesting it has had a hard life by the suspension issues and cracked alloys. I wonder if the tyre that had a nail in it is still on the car... What is the issue with the headlight that is in the list of work needing doing?

Unfortunately the video is far too superficial to give you much of a clue what the rest of the consumable parts are like (tyres, brakes). If they are proposing to put new pads on you might suspect that the discs aren't too pretty either so in some ways it would better if they don't do half a job and you do the full job later on.

If I were you I'd ask if they'd sell it to you 'as is' without doing any work or with any warranty at a lower trade price, assuming it drives OK and the body and mechanicals seem good.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:51 am

Looney wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:44 am No idea on the comment but i googled the glovebox and apparently its not a technical fix.
Probably not, unless you happen to be there when it breaks and have access to all the little broken bits.

Shouldn’t be difficult to find one - as there seem to be plenty being crashed :(
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Looney

Post by Looney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:57 am

rally-chris wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:50 am Looks nice, shame no Xenons but otherwise a reasonable spec.

The MOT history is interesting though, suggesting it has had a hard life by the suspension issues and cracked alloys. I wonder if the tyre that had a nail in it is still on the car... What is the issue with the headlight that is in the list of work needing doing?

Unfortunately the video is far too superficial to give you much of a clue what the rest of the consumable parts are like (tyres, brakes). If they are proposing to put new pads on you might suspect that the discs aren't too pretty either so in some ways it would better if they don't do half a job and you do the full job later on.

If I were you I'd ask if they'd sell it to you 'as is' without doing any work or with any warranty at a lower trade price, assuming it drives OK and the body and mechanicals seem good.

Chris
They would give it to me with a new MOT and nail is a fail on safety i think, for 9700 the miles and the colour i was considering just buying and taking it to BMW for an inspection 2 whilst the cars under warrenty, anything big i can then get done for nothing!?!?! Again only 20 red's in the UK or something i assume if i look after it, the value is hold massively!?
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:01 pm

It's looks nice, aero skirts are a bonus, I'm not sure i like the aero bumper on a coupe but you could change it for an M. Any pics of the interior to show any wear etc. Worth a test drive.

I wouldn't worry about the glove box, there are plenty of breakers or ebay.
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

Looney

Post by Looney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:03 pm

Mark-Z4 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:01 pm It's looks nice, aero skirts are a bonus, I'm not sure i like the aero bumper on a coupe but you could change it for an M. Any pics of the interior to show any wear etc. Worth a test drive.

I wouldn't worry about the glove box, there are plenty of breakers or ebay.
Cheers mark, at £500 its an expensive test drive :)
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red