Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Advice Required On A Potential Purchase RED 3.0SI Coupe (Pics Inside)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift

What You Think, Yes or No!

Yes
52%
No
41%
I Dont Care, Only Here Because I Am At Work
8%

Total votes: 64

Looney

Post by Looney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:05 pm

Other Option is the Z4 Member Status lives near me and he has a lovely PY coupe but its £1300 more!
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

Phoenixboy

Post by Phoenixboy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:16 pm

just my opinion, but theres better out there for the money.
call me fussy, but the dealer appears to have made little effort to prep the car prior to the video.
number plate hanging off, interior not seen a hoover.
if they cant be bothered to present a car well, It hardly fills me with confidence,
if your that keen, I would call his bluff and make him a cheeky offer, coz he sure as hell wont get 9700 at auction.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Looney

Post by Looney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Phoenixboy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:16 pm just my opinion, but theres better out there for the money.
call me fussy, but the dealer appears to have made little effort to prep the car prior to the video.
number plate hanging off, interior not seen a hoover.
if they cant be bothered to present a car well, It hardly fills me with confidence,
if your that keen, I would call his bluff and make him a cheeky offer, coz he sure as hell wont get 9700 at auction.
Thanks for an honest opinion, the the red which is catching me
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

IRD

Post by IRD » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:31 pm

It is a beautiful looking car in my favourite colour. But be careful you don’t talk yourself into it because it looks so good. I appreciate what you are saying about the cost of a test drive but if it is a “pup”it could cost you a lot of money and a deal of grief. I wouldn’t buy it unless I’d driven it and checked it out. All the salesman will be concerned about is making a sale.

Looney

Post by Looney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:39 pm

IRD wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:31 pm It is a beautiful looking car in my favourite colour. But be careful you don’t talk yourself into it because it looks so good. I appreciate what you are saying about the cost of a test drive but if it is a “pup”it could cost you a lot of money and a deal of grief. I wouldn’t buy it unless I’d driven it and checked it out. All the salesman will be concerned about is making a sale.
Very Good Point!
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

grumps

Post by grumps » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:15 pm

Its not a great spec and given the poor fit of the nearside door and misalignment of the bonnet/wing on the offside, broken glovebox, etc., there is plenty of scope for a cheeky 'sold-as-seen' offer, particularly since the limited warranty isn't worth anything to you because of the physical distance between you and the dealer. Having said that, I'd be slightly concerned about the number of broken rear springs as well, given the low mileage of ther car. Mine is slighty older with similar miles but touch wood, I haven't needed to replace a spring so far.
Also worth noting that the Arnold Clark organisation didn't get where it is through their generosity! I have first-hand experience of their after sales care and it wasn't brilliant.
You might also want consider the difference in price between this and the local car when you subtract the cost of travelling to Dundee and then the fuel to get the car home again.
Last edited by grumps on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Start the day with a smile, get it over with.

Bog standard 2007 3.0si manual E86 in Montego blue with black leather, currently fitted with MV2s

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:19 pm

Id rather fix/replace a glove box & the car have aeros :wink:
No car on this forum at 56k & 12yrs old would require absolutely zero spend on it .
I understand the £ spent just to get to the car but that's life , deal with it or look closer to home .
At £9700 that car is cheap enough to throw £1300 & still be in the black.
It's unique example & I wouldn't let minor niggles prevent you from owning it .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:21 pm

Why £300 deposit? I would of though £100 would be enough for them to hold it for a few days. The glovebox wouldn't worry me, but can they send you a pic of the service history? The misalignment of the panels looks a bit odd - unless it's just camera angle.
Last edited by ph001 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Looney

Post by Looney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:22 pm

grumps wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:15 pm Its not a great spec and given the poor fit of the nearside door and misalignment of the bonnet/wing on the offside, broken glovebox, etc., there is plenty of scope for a cheeky 'sold-as-seen' offer, particularly since the limited warranty isn't worth anything to you because of the physical distance between you and the dealer.
Also worth noting that the Arnold Clark organisation didn't get where it is through their generosity! I have first-hand experience of their after sales care and it wasn't brilliant.
You might also want consider the difference in price between this and the local car when you subtract the cost of travelling to Dundee and then the fuel to get the car home again.
Argh everything just gets more confusing!
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

Looney

Post by Looney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:25 pm

ph001 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:21 pm Why £300 deposit? I would of though £100 would be enough for them to hold it for a few days. The glovebox wouldn't worry me, but can they send you a pic of the service history?
I think the book is stamped for 2 bmw inspectations but limited paperwork after that, the guy who part ex'd it got a M135 and threw it in. He did have it since 2013 though.
Last edited by Looney on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

Looney

Post by Looney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:26 pm

I like all the responses guys, getting into quite a good debate!
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:39 pm

If I'm ever intersted in a car I can't get to see I always ask for a walk round video clip via whatsapp . Ask for it to show the interior / exterior , wheels etc
Its better than 100 pics & specifically ask for it done from cold start with bonnet up .
As for front end shut lines , wait for your first forum meet then walk the line . Il guarantee each one will vary & some may never have seen a bodyshop .
Red is also enhancing those lines , black/ dark blue you barely notice them
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:39 pm

Looney wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:25 pm I think the book is stamped for 2 bmw inspectations but limited paperwork after that
In my eyes, there are just too many negatives stacking up here. They also say it needs a service, which probably means it's gone past the service interval... but by how much? It just doesn't feel like it's been a very well cared for car to me. It's so easy to get led by your heart when you see nice pictures but it's your head that needs to make the purchase. Other cars with better spec and less worries will come along if you are patient.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Looney

Post by Looney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:27 pm

ph001 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:39 pm
Looney wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:25 pm I think the book is stamped for 2 bmw inspectations but limited paperwork after that
In my eyes, there are just too many negatives stacking up here. They also say it needs a service, which probably means it's gone past the service interval... but by how much? It just doesn't feel like it's been a very well cared for car to me. It's so easy to get led by your heart when you see nice pictures but it's your head that needs to make the purchase. Other cars with better spec and less worries will come along if you are patient.
Thanks PH really appreciate the honesty
Mini R56 FJCW
Z4MC Imola Red

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:32 pm

It’s hard to know without seeing the car in the flesh .. it’s a lovely colour imo, but without getting eyes on it’s really difficult to see what condition it is in

Things that would put me off is that it’s an Arnold Clark branch ., they will do the absolute minimum prep

Will they give you the previous keepers details so you can speak to them ?

Can you get a independent inspection done ?

I’ve bought a few cars from garages miles away . Always been on a subject to veiwing basis and I did reject one without any issues, but AC don’t have the best reputation for customer service
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP