Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Purchase/reliability advice (newbie)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ErrErrminator

Post by ErrErrminator » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:38 pm

I am new here and considering an E85 3.0i as a second (weekend) car. Am in letting myself in for a load of grief (and expense) buying an early 3.0 (circa 2003/4) with around 100k on it?

I guess the replies will be along the lines of look at lots, buy on condition and history. In a nutshell is a car of this age and mileage, given a decent enough service history, likely to bankrupt me and drive me nuts? I will be on the lookout for evidence of suspension refresh work and cooling system components being replaced.

I have previously owned an E46 330Ci (same engine) so know a little about that power plant.

Apologies if I've missed any obvious threads on this very subject. Like I said, I'm new here and still finding my way about, so be gentle! :D

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:43 pm

I'm using an 04 on 106k as a daily, and I've had nothing particularly go wrong with it. I have had the struts, springs and a load of suspension bushes changed, as by the age they would be well worn out. I'm also about to do a cooling system refresh myself too.

As you've had the engine before I assume you know about the cam cover gasket and oil filter housing gaskets being common oil leak spots.

Either get a car with the motor moved to the boot or get one of the lads off the forum to sort it, there's a few around the country and they do it for a cheap price.

Condition really is king here, check for a good service record as the engines are incredibly strong if properly maintained.

philbo909

Post by philbo909 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:35 pm

ErrErrminator wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:38 pm I am new here and considering an E85 3.0i as a second (weekend) car. Am in letting myself in for a load of grief (and expense) buying an early 3.0 (circa 2003/4) with around 100k on it?

I guess the replies will be along the lines of look at lots, buy on condition and history. In a nutshell is a car of this age and mileage, given a decent enough service history, likely to bankrupt me and drive me nuts? I will be on the lookout for evidence of suspension refresh work and cooling system components being replaced.

I have previously owned an E46 330Ci (same engine) so know a little about that power plant.

Apologies if I've missed any obvious threads on this very subject. Like I said, I'm new here and still finding my way about, so be gentle! :D
I wouldn't worry about mileage with the engines, but try find a car with the suspension refreshed, engine looked after and LSD fitted :evil:
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

AveZ4coop

Post by AveZ4coop » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:02 pm

I use my 2006, 93,000 mile Z4C as my daily driver. If you look after them, they will look after you. Not too expensive to run, reasonable economy, plenty of spare parts available and cool looks. It is by far the best handling car I have ever owned. :driving:
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:44 pm

Welcome to the forum OP.

You probably know, but just in case the Coupe came out with the facelift so uses the N52 engine rather than the M54 fitted to the Z4s you are looking at (and your E46).

Plenty of M54 engines are still going strong long after 100k miles - you just need to check the usual things, and buy on condition and history.

Cars for sale on here are probably worthe looking at - they've usually been cherished by an enthusiast. :)

Good luck anyway, and don't forget we like photos once you've found one!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:59 pm

We do still have this notion in the uk that 100k mileage is somehow a threshold not to be breached which really is just a bit mad. If you find a well cared for car that has had the things it needs when it's needed them you should be fine unless your very unlucky. The really expensive failures are fortunately quite a rare occurrance on these cars.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

rossonr

Post by rossonr » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:09 pm

I have a 3.0i 03 plate on 114k. As above check service history etc. Mine is still going strong and I expect it will do for some time
Z4 3.0i black sapphire. Manual 6 speed. Cruise control. red Oregon leather. Dan's RAM air-scoop.Aux in. brembo discs and pads. 19" m345 replica alloys