Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HIDs and new MOT rules

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
olsonn

HIDs and new MOT rules

Post by olsonn » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:24 pm

With the MOT rules changing on 20.5.18, I should be able to get another 12 month ticket on my Z4 E85 with its HIDs in situ in the front lights, but It now means that I have just over 12 months to source a solution to my front lighting issue. I certainly wont be going back to halogen, the stock lights are so rubbish its a disgrace. The obvious solution is to fit xenon, but despite looking for a couple of years I have not been able to locate a decent set of second hand ones. Does anybody make a set that are compatible with my car at a price less than the stealers charge, or am I looking at stumping up almost £2000 before my 2019 MOT??

bmwaddict

HIDs and new MOT rules

Post by bmwaddict » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:20 pm

Have you looked into LED bulbs? Haven't tried myself but my mate with an older Mercedes has changed his HIDs to LEDs because of the new rules, they look nice and bright and he says he'll never go back to Xenon bulbs now. Cheap too comparatively.
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

HIDs and new MOT rules

Post by PerryGunn » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:00 am

olsonn wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:24 pm ....or am I looking at stumping up almost £2000 before my 2019 MOT??
as the MOT is just a point-in-time examination, do you have a simple way to swap back to halogens for the MOT and refit your HIDs afterwards? I know this will depend on how you've done your HID conversion and could be a bit of a ballache but it's only once a year...
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

olsonn

HIDs and new MOT rules

Post by olsonn » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:13 am

It is a possibility, but the way I have done the ballasts, it may well involve removing the bumper and if you have had the pleasure of doing this, you will know it tends to involve replacing at least one of the bumper clips, a lot less than £2000, but still a ball ache

Mark-Z4

HIDs and new MOT rules

Post by Mark-Z4 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:56 am

What is happening to the law?

I thought it changed ages ago, where you couldn't have HID on a non-projected headlight that wasn't self adjusting?

Ive had HID fitted since I bought the car and never had any issues.
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

HIDs and new MOT rules

Post by RustyZ4 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Mark-Z4 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:56 am What is happening to the law?

I thought it changed ages ago, where you couldn't have HID on a non-projected headlight that wasn't self adjusting?

Ive had HID fitted since I bought the car and never had any issues.
I too thought the law changed years ago, and on my last Z with them, no issues at all
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Darkangelv2

HIDs and new MOT rules

Post by Darkangelv2 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:17 pm

The law changed years ago however the MOT didn't check for legalities of the headlights, just the condition of the components required to work with each light type.

The rough difference (as i understand it):

Old MOT -
Check beam height, cut-off etc.
If headlights have washer jets, ensure they work
If headlights have self-adjustment, ensure it works

New MOT -
All the above PLUS
If headlights use HID or LED, ensure the headlight assembly was designed for it.

This means, in theory, all HID kits can be failed if the MOT tester decides to. It's going to mean either swapping back to halogen once a year or a friendly chat with your tester. Our cars aren't dangerous with HIDs after all.

That said, i've just re-read it and it states....

4.1.5 Levelling devices
Where a manual headlamp levelling device (driver control) is fitted it must work. Before operating the
control, check the setting it is on and return it to the same place.
Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be
fitted with a suspension or headlamp self-levelling system. Where such systems are fitted, they must
work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of selflevelling
systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

4.1.6 Cleaning devices
This inspection only applies to vehicles first used on or after 1 September 2009 equipped with
headlamp washers.
HID lamps may be identified by:
 taking a few seconds to reach full intensity
 having a bluish tinge to the light
 having an igniter module/inverter behind the headlamp
 having ‘DCR’ marked on the headlamp lens or body.
HID headlamps use high voltage and extra care should be taken when inspecting these items.
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

Mark-Z4

HIDs and new MOT rules

Post by Mark-Z4 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:07 pm

That doesn't seem too bad, I cant see my MOT tester taking off the covers of the arch just to check what kind of lamp ive got in there. Plus I've hidden all the ballasts and wiring.
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

HIDs and new MOT rules

Post by MACK » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:50 pm

As above really. I'd take for its mot and see what happens. Hopefully it will just pass unnoticed or they'll pretend they did notice.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Magicarcher

HIDs and new MOT rules

Post by Magicarcher » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:17 pm

bmwaddict wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:20 pm Have you looked into LED bulbs? Haven't tried myself but my mate with an older Mercedes has changed his HIDs to LEDs because of the new rules, they look nice and bright and he says he'll never go back to Xenon bulbs now. Cheap too comparatively.
There is no certainty LEDs will pass as generally it is very difficult to find LEDs any warmer than 5500k which is bluer than stock halogens or Xenons, the new MOT rules also fail overly blue lights (you also need to be careful beam pattern matches). There is also no certainty on their legality as your light units have been homologated with standard filament bulbs and won't have been homologated with LEDs. Its a pain to be honest because stock halogen light performance is dismal. What is it about BMW and lights, my Mini is the same, with halogen lights the beam pattern and illumination levels are really bad.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

HIDs and new MOT rules

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:36 pm

You seem to have miss3d the section that is very clear that it is not permissible to convert a halogen light to hid. Such is a fail
Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected.

There are clear guide lines on how to spot it from colour, intensity and speed to ignite.
For sure some will, pass but if seen by the tester it’s a fail
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

bmwaddict

HIDs and new MOT rules

Post by bmwaddict » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Ah right, my mate must be on good terms with his tester then. Thanks to both for the clarification, apologies to the OP, I didn't know LED bulbs didn't pass.
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

HIDs and new MOT rules

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:57 pm

bmwaddict wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:46 pm Ah right, my mate must be on good terms with his tester then. Thanks to both for the clarification, apologies to the OP, I didn't know LED bulbs didn't pass.
It doesn’t come in until May and regs are draft only at present
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

HIDs and new MOT rules

Post by Ewazix » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:22 pm

It looks like the new rules have been firmed-up for introduction on 20th May 2018

Idiots guide https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot- ... 0-may-2018

Full Monty version https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ting-guide

Some light reading :)
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost