Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How much would you pay? Any Advice?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Coffee331

Post by Coffee331 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:20 pm

It happens with older cars....I passed the NCT with no advisories etc in Dec...about four weeks later the front spring snapped in half, so much for the NCT tester I had :rofl: :rofl:

Anyway point being have since replaced all shocks, springs front and rear, drop links, anti roll bar bushes, wishbones, full tie rods...cost a bit but at least I know the majority of the suspension is sorted now.

I think the prices you were given are reasonable; the only cheaper way is DIY, and we all know how much fun that can be without a proper lift and good tools. :cry:

Peter-E36

Post by Peter-E36 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:39 am

I think they are too considering the work! Thanks for the input. Would love to have the confidence, tools, and place to tackle these kinds of jobs at some point!
E85 3.0i

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:23 am

Peter-E36 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:39 am I think they are too considering the work! Thanks for the input. Would love to have the confidence, tools, and place to tackle these kinds of jobs at some point!
Hi Peter. I do all the work on my car but I've been in the motor trade most of my working life since I left college in '85. TBH with you if you have a little bit of nouse, some decent tools and buy your own quality parts then this is THE best way. The good news is you CAN ! I don't know if you saw this on here recently but maybe you can find something similar near you :thumbsup:
20180321_001045.png
20180321_001045.png (192.63 KiB) Viewed 388 times
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Peter-E36

Post by Peter-E36 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:56 am

That’s amazing Si! That’s exactly the kind of thing I’d love to do. Must look into it over here.
E85 3.0i

jpvd

Post by jpvd » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:32 am

Kap'nZ4 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:15 am Facts: 75% of the "Used Z4's" were not kept up to standards for resale. Fact. 100% of Car buyers that buy a Z4 spend upwards of 5K to bring the car up to snuff driving wise. Those items include, front end refurbish, drop links, arms, bushings that are past deterioration. Rear end bushings/Broken coils and shocks that are way past usefulness. Top strut mounts rear and back. Bad/baked oil gaskets/ oil pan, head/ oil filer. Ignition switches, bad mounting area for remote convertibles (swims in a lake of water) and just plain old abuse, rings tapping on interior parts.

I love my car. But gawd damm, could you not at least pay attention to what you did when it was yours?
End of Rant.
I can believe this....!

Mines having a pre-mot check and then an mot...ended up with this list:

front antiroll bar bush
both front rear wishbone bushes
broken rear spring
metal brake lines all need replacing
all rubber brake hoses need replacing

on top of this i've asked them to:

swap gearbox fluid
swap diff fluid
fit ebc pads

then get it mot'ed...taxed and then get to the track.....one expensive bloody month!!... (wife ain't happy!..lol) :poke:

dreading the bill...so i feel your pain :headbang:

jpvd

Post by jpvd » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:59 am

patriot66 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:23 am
Peter-E36 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:39 am I think they are too considering the work! Thanks for the input. Would love to have the confidence, tools, and place to tackle these kinds of jobs at some point!
Hi Peter. I do all the work on my car but I've been in the motor trade most of my working life since I left college in '85. TBH with you if you have a little bit of nouse, some decent tools and buy your own quality parts then this is THE best way. The good news is you CAN ! I don't know if you saw this on here recently but maybe you can find something similar near you :thumbsup:
20180321_001045.png
I used to do all my own work...i've swapped engines, installed turbo's on none turbo cars, done brakes, suspension, bodywork, swapped out radiators, water pumps and head gaskets....pretty much everything....but i don't anymore....all i do is servicing..the rest i leave to the professionals...they have all the right knowledge, right tools to hand, a nice warm and dry garage, a four poster, air tools, etc, etc.....i found that if i did the job myself i would have to take a day or two off work, buy all the parts but normally always forgot something so had to get a lift to pick up the extra bits, then a bolt wouldn't come off or shear or a bearing needs pushing out or a bush......so i came to conclusion that to have the garage do the work and i just simply do my work so i can pay them instead.... :rofl: ...then all i have to do is turn the key, sit back and enjoy driving again!

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:17 pm

Two years in, spent about £150.

Mind you, I have not changed the wheels and tyres and would like to - but that is my choice, not because I have to to keep it on the road.

It will need suspension soon, and it could do with Vanos and the roof motor moving. But again, all are OK it is just me and my preventative maintenance.

Mind you, if you took it to a BMW dealer you can wrack up a £5k bill with ease. If you are buying a high mileage car then it is always cheaper to be able to work on them yourself, or go to indies.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

Peter-E36

Post by Peter-E36 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks for the replies folks, got the work done yesterday at a trusted mechanic who did an excellent job! Totally different car now! And I haven't even fitted the new set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3s I got nor the tracking done yet. I literally can't wait! :lol:
E85 3.0i