Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How much would you pay? Any Advice?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Peter-E36

Post by Peter-E36 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:44 pm

Hi folks,

Need to draw on your knowledge here.

It turns out my pretty e85 ain't so pretty underneath and needs a few things done...

How much would you pay for the following:

-Rear Trailing Arm Bushes x 2
-Rear Top Ball Joints x 2
-Front lower and back bushes x 2
-Front ARB Bushes x 2

[Quoted 550 Euro for above (fitted)]

-Rocker cover gasket [125 Euro]
-Oil filter housing gasket [125 Euro]
-Camber bolts x 2 [50 Euro]
-Complete track rods x 2 [200 Euro]

Does it sound about right? Any advice re: the above? I want to do it right and forget about it, anything to be aware of?

Would that be a pretty substantial suspension refresh? I'm not touching the shocks/springs for now as my wallet has gotten a severe beating in the last month between import tax on the car [1000 euro], motor tax for the year [1500 euro], and 600 euro worth of work on the car already... It failed the NCT (MOT equivalent) yesterday and I need to do a few other things to pass including a full set of tyres [MPS4... $$$$$$], tracking (again), a xenon levelling sensor, and headlight alignment.

Didn't mean to complain when I started writing this post but I guess I'm feeling a bit rough right now especially since I paid top dollar for this car :(

Just want to have it sorted for the N Wales run too...
E85 3.0i

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:58 pm

Best not to wish you a happy St Patrick’s Day then !
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

Peter-E36

Post by Peter-E36 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:25 pm

It's not the happiest of St Patrick's Days if I'm honest...
E85 3.0i

gerryp

Post by gerryp » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:41 pm

It's not too bad.
We won the rugby. :-D :lol:

skelters

Post by skelters » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Buy the parts yourself and get you're local Indy to fit the parts. If they'll not fit the parts go elsewhere and get the work done.

That way you know exactly what's getting fitted.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

markalp

Post by markalp » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Peter-E36 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:44 pm Hi folks,

Need to draw on your knowledge here.

It turns out my pretty e85 ain't so pretty underneath and needs a few things done...

How much would you pay for the following:

-Rear Trailing Arm Bushes x 2
-Rear Top Ball Joints x 2
-Front lower and back bushes x 2
-Front ARB Bushes x 2

[Quoted 550 Euro for above (fitted)]

-Rocker cover gasket [125 Euro]
-Oil filter housing gasket [125 Euro]
-Camber bolts x 2 [50 Euro]
-Complete track rods x 2 [200 Euro]

Does it sound about right? Any advice re: the above? I want to do it right and forget about it, anything to be aware of?

Would that be a pretty substantial suspension refresh? I'm not touching the shocks/springs for now as my wallet has gotten a severe beating in the last month between import tax on the car [1000 euro], motor tax for the year [1500 euro], and 600 euro worth of work on the car already... It failed the NCT (MOT equivalent) yesterday and I need to do a few other things to pass including a full set of tyres [MPS4... $$$$$$], tracking (again), a xenon levelling sensor, and headlight alignment.

Didn't mean to complain when I started writing this post but I guess I'm feeling a bit rough right now especially since I paid top dollar for this car :(

Just want to have it sorted for the N Wales run too...
I would say take the hit and get it all done, then you know its sorted.
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

Kap'nZ4

Post by Kap'nZ4 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:15 am

Facts: 75% of the "Used Z4's" were not kept up to standards for resale. Fact. 100% of Car buyers that buy a Z4 spend upwards of 5K to bring the car up to snuff driving wise. Those items include, front end refurbish, drop links, arms, bushings that are past deterioration. Rear end bushings/Broken coils and shocks that are way past usefulness. Top strut mounts rear and back. Bad/baked oil gaskets/ oil pan, head/ oil filer. Ignition switches, bad mounting area for remote convertibles (swims in a lake of water) and just plain old abuse, rings tapping on interior parts.

I love my car. But gawd damm, could you not at least pay attention to what you did when it was yours?
End of Rant.
God saw me fit enough to drive it. It's my responsibility to drive it the way its meant to be drove. (All Roads Open.) Mods and fixes are mounting and I don't care, as it will be drove come hell or high water. :D

Peter-E36

Post by Peter-E36 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:40 pm

I know what you mean, I guess my scars run deep from my e36 ownership and I somehow wanted to own the Z4 without going through the same sh*t again.

I dug up the list of work I did on my e36 out of curiosity and listed it below... Man, I wish I could say it was worth it but it really wasn't, hence why I'm a little reluctant to go down that road again.

Here's a summary that doesn't even come close to including everything really, and certainly doesn't reflect the distance covered to get to a trusted mechanic to do the work, the number of times I went, time off work, several breakdowns, and trial and error with so much crap...

Cost of ownership over 10k miles: ~10k Euro ....and a lot of pain, suffering and swearing!
PS. Do not use polyurethane bushings or else you will need a new pelvis before you're 30 :D

@91k / April 2013:

- Oil
- Oil filter
- New gear selector seal
- New prop shaft rubber doughnut
- Splash guard fixed
- New Bosch battery

@93k / June 2013:

- Fitted M3 Evo splitter and mesh
- Fitted M-Tech 2 steering wheel
- Fitted original mats

@96k / November 2013:

- Fitted M50 Manifold with new gaskets
- Fitted full 328 exhaust
- Fitted M3 diffuser
- Fitted Shadowline grills
- Completed tool kit

@97k / Feb-Mar 2014 (using all new parts):

- Oil Cap
- Intake hose
- Fan / Alternator belt
- Reg plates front/rear - deleted surrounds
- Castrol oil
- Oil filter
- Air filter
- Fuel filter
- Bosch spark plugs
- Throttle cable lubrication/adjustment
- 2 front Meyle HD wishbones with the 4 ball joints
- Powerflex wishbone bushes
- Powerflex Rear Trailing Arm bushes
- Z3 M short shift kit
- Clubsport weighted gearknob
- Clutch Delay Valve delete
- Black Diamond stainless steel braided clutch hose
- Black Diamond stainless steel braided brake hoses
- E46 067 quick rack (the only second hand item)
- Track rods / tie rod ends
- Thermostat
- Thermostat Aluminium housing
- Tracking and 4 wheel laser alignment

Fluids:

- Castrol power steering fluid
- Castrol respons DOT4+ brake fluid
- Castrol Tranzmax gearbox oil
- Coolant

@100k / Aug 2014:

- Genuine BBS RC 040 7.5J et41 all round
- Passenger headlamp replaced
- The new Vemo thermostat replaced in February was replaced by a new Gates unit
- Gearbox oil replaced in February was replaced again by Valvoline Maxx Lights 80w90
- New oem brake discs dimpled and grooved by MTEC Brakes in the UK along with Mintex pads all round fitted
- Rocker cover / spark plug / bolt gasket replaced - and any carbon buildup cleaned
- Strut braces painted matte black fitted front and rear
- New Powerflex ARB bushes
- New Meyle HD droplinks
- New Powerflex drop link bushes
- New side skirt clips all round
- Sills polished and sealed
- New moulding clips allround
- New JOM Blueline coilovers
- New KYB front top mounts
- New Meyle HD rear top mounts
- All suspension nuts/bolts removed and torqued to BMW specifications
- Tracking and 4 wheel laser alignment
- Boot floor resprayed
- Parcel shelf painted
- Leather treated
- All black trim restored

@101k / Sep 2014:

- New Radiator + Expansion tank
- Coilovers adjusted + 4 wheel alignment
- Throttle cable thoroughly cleaned/lubricated and now good as new
E85 3.0i

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:59 pm

[quote="Kap'nZ4" post_id=1523149 time=1521342915 user
Fact. 100% of Car buyers that buy a Z4 spend upwards of 5K to bring the car up to snuff driving wise
[/quote]

Sorry to ruin your statistics but I certainly haven’t spent upwards of £5k on making my Zed drive right

I bought well, and sensibly and other than routine maintenance it has cost me ZERO

I have however refurbed the wheels ( my choice) and done some other tidying which was not necessary

So I’ve CHOSEN to spend about £400 on it to make it completely mint

Sorry to ruin your statistics :D
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:10 pm

Kap'nZ4 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:15 am Facts: 75% of the "Used Z4's" were not kept up to standards for resale. Fact. 100% of Car buyers that buy a Z4 spend upwards of 5K to bring the car up to snuff driving wise. Those items include, front end refurbish, drop links, arms, bushings that are past deterioration. Rear end bushings/Broken coils and shocks that are way past usefulness. Top strut mounts rear and back. Bad/baked oil gaskets/ oil pan, head/ oil filer. Ignition switches, bad mounting area for remote convertibles (swims in a lake of water) and just plain old abuse, rings tapping on interior parts.

I love my car. But gawd damm, could you not at least pay attention to what you did when it was yours?
End of Rant.
Utter utter rubbish
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:20 pm

Kap'nZ4 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:15 am Facts: 75% of the "Used Z4's" were not kept up to standards for resale. Fact. 100% of Car buyers that buy a Z4 spend upwards of 5K to bring the car up to snuff driving wise. Those items include, front end refurbish, drop links, arms, bushings that are past deterioration. Rear end bushings/Broken coils and shocks that are way past usefulness. Top strut mounts rear and back. Bad/baked oil gaskets/ oil pan, head/ oil filer. Ignition switches, bad mounting area for remote convertibles (swims in a lake of water) and just plain old abuse, rings tapping on interior parts.

End of Rant.
3.0si : Spend £0
M roadster : Spend £0 apart from the usual service.
3.0 SE : Bought as a project car but spend was nowhere near £5k, not even half.
M roadster : Spend £130 new battery

Gawd damn that must be some powerful weed you get over there Kap’n..... :poke:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:18 pm

Looks like we are down to 97% then :rofl:

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:04 pm

earthdweller wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:18 pm Looks like we are down to 97% then :rofl:
Make that 96% 😂
Wtf is he on?!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:25 pm

I haven’t spent £5k on mine in the 6 years I’ve had it. Most of what I have spent is on mods.

Peter-E36

Post by Peter-E36 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:17 pm

I bet Kap'nZ4 is regretting his comment about now... :roll: in fairness though, percentages aside, he's essentially saying 10 to 15 year old suspension components are going to be tired... which -let's face it- is true.. as I found out with other cars.

Anyway, I was hoping for some advice along the lines of "fit eccentric bushes" (read about these elsewhere), or "those estimates sound about right" any feedback of that nature?

Wanna have this thing ready for the run! Only one month to go and I'm getting excited :driving:
E85 3.0i