Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The mat daddy?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
thanatu55

The mat daddy?

Post by thanatu55 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:21 pm

Are these the thickest mats you've ever seen?

For the record, I'm not gloating. I'm actually a bit disappointed, so I wanted to gather some more opinions. I went for the 'Platinum' range of mats from CarMats2U.co.uk at a stonking £120. They claim to have 'Europe's highest pile', so I'm thinking luxurious soft shaggy carpets. They're actually firm decent mats, but a far cry from my fanciful imagination.

I began to write an email questioning whether they had sent the right mats, but alas I'm wondering if I had just set my expectations too high. What do others think? Are these Europe's finest £120 mats, or have I just been had for an overpriced set of average mats?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

The mat daddy?

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:28 pm

They look good, but that must be more than twice what OEM mats cost - sadly IMO they don't look more than twice as good, sorry. :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Peter-E36

The mat daddy?

Post by Peter-E36 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:30 pm

Damn thanatu, your car looks as good inside as it does on the outside! :thumbsup:

I'm just curious though, would the front mats from say an e92 not fit in the Z? Or maybe from an e89? Is aftermarket really the only way?
E85 3.0i

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

The mat daddy?

Post by mmm-five » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:34 pm

I had a set of sheepskin mats/rugs in the back of my M5 that were about an inch deep.

Pity they weren’t very hard wearing, and £200 for just the rears was a bit much to keep replacing - definitely no use for the driver position.

The seller did warn me, but I was young, flush with cash and wanted the deepest I could find.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

thanatu55

The mat daddy?

Post by thanatu55 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:36 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:28 pm They look good, but that must be more than twice what OEM mats cost - sadly IMO they don't look more than twice as good, sorry. :(
You read my mind, that's exactly what I was thinking. :(

Peter-E36 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:30 pm Damn thanatu, your car looks as good inside as it does on the outside!

I'm just curious though, would the front mats from say an e92 not fit in the Z? Or maybe from an e89? Is aftermarket really the only way?
Thanks buddy :D

I think if I were to go back in time OEM would be the way to go, but I tend to fall for sensationalism and the marketing for these well and truly hooked me in.

thanatu55

The mat daddy?

Post by thanatu55 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:37 pm

mmm-five wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:34 pm I had a set of sheepskin mats/rugs in the back of my M5 that were about an inch deep.

Pity they weren’t very hard wearing, and £200 for just the rears was a bit much to keep replacing - definitely no use for the driver position.

The seller did warn me, but I was young, flush with cash and wanted the deepest I could find.
I looked at sheepskin but they were way above my budget!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

The mat daddy?

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:44 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:36 pm Mr Tidy wrote: ↑Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:28 pm
They look good, but that must be more than twice what OEM mats cost - sadly IMO they don't look more than twice as good, sorry.

You read my mind, that's exactly what I was thinking.
I really didn't want to spoil things, but for that sort of money you should be getting something exceptional.

A couple of weeks ago I bought an E91 as a daily, and the OEM mats were shagged - so I bought these:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

As I expected they're not up to OEM quality, but the pad in the driver's mat makes it thicker than the OEM one in the main area of wear - and for less than £15 delivered I didn't see how I could go wrong!

Plus the clips locate them better than the Velcro on the OEM ones - very pleased.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

The mat daddy?

Post by ben g » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:44 pm

They don't look much better than the cheapo £15 ones on ebay, which is a shame. You must be mental to spend £120 on some car mats.

Much prefer OEM.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

thanatu55

The mat daddy?

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:07 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:44 pm I really didn't want to spoil things, but for that sort of money you should be getting something exceptional.
Nah you didn't spoil anything, just confirmed what I was thinking myself. I've already written an email to complain, basically along the same lines as what I should expect for that amount of money and I really was expecting something special.

Moral of the story, more expense doesn't always guarantee better quality.

Those ones of yours look great.

warmasice

The mat daddy?

Post by warmasice » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:29 am

Definitely not worth what you paid. Sorry to say. :(

buzyg
Legend
Legend

The mat daddy?

Post by buzyg » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:21 am

Let's hope they wear well. Hat is a lot of down for some car mats.

Havard

The mat daddy?

Post by Havard » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:52 am

It's way too cold to have your pants pulled down like that. I would never dream of spending money like that on cars mats, but everyone is different.

Some things probably need to be seen in the flesh before purchase.
ImageImage

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

The mat daddy?

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:28 am

mmm-five wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:34 pm I was young, flush with cash and wanted the deepest I could find.
Ah, reminds me of my youth, trying to cop off in The Coconut Grove ;}

Mike

Crazy Harry

The mat daddy?

Post by Crazy Harry » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:04 am

On a positive note they look well finished and with the close pile that's maybe as thick as you get whilst still being able to get the mud and dirt off. If I put anything like that that in mine it would have to go to a 'dog grooming parlour' for cleaning or be able to go under the pressure washer - mind you I don't expect you want to tread mud into them to test how well they performs.

Did they not state a thickness or show a picture 'side on'? I'm using these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tailored-Bla ... SwRQlXe8-f

Not to most peoples taste (but the wipe clean and deaden road noise) but at £20 a time give me six sets to your one.

Doesn't 'distance selling' rules allow you to send them back if not satisfied?

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

The mat daddy?

Post by GAZA62 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:38 am

They look fine to me nice and thick is the drivers mat any longer than OEM as I know you did not like the shorter mat and I take it you binned the last set you bought as for OEM mats I do not rate them that's why I bought after market mats.
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL