Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Shocks Advice

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
heavymetalthunder

Shocks Advice

Post by heavymetalthunder » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:10 pm

MACK wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:57 am You'll probably actually find with fresh dampeners that you'll bottom out less than you do currently. I found this on mine and I dropped another 15mm from m sport to eibachs. Can only be as a result of decent dampening from the new shocks.
Fair point, I guess if I feel the need I could always replace the springs at a later date with a set of Eibachs.
patriot66 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:53 pm Look what DPD just delivered! :D Lovely ! :thumbsup:

How quick was that ? :o
Wow that is impressive, there was me worrying that they may not arrive in time for when my car is booked in just over 2 weeks time! If anything that is too quick, I ordered to my parent's place as someone is more likely to be in during the day, but they are currently on holiday until next week!
E85 Z4 3.0i Roadster (manual) in Sterling Grey

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Shocks Advice

Post by ben g » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:02 pm

patriot66 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:53 pm Look what DPD just delivered! :D Lovely ! :thumbsup:
20180314_114736.jpg
Where's mine? :cry: much needed. My car feels and sounds like it's about to fall to pieces :lol:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

ionofchios

Shocks Advice

Post by ionofchios » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:03 pm

20180314_114736.jpg
Congrats!

Tyreman

Shocks Advice

Post by Tyreman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:11 pm

I can't believe how quick the delivery was.........mine arrived on Tuesday, I've ordered stuff from London and Leeds but the stuff from Germany arrived days before.

Maybe there is some sort of comment around how efficient certain businesses could be lol :headbang:

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Shocks Advice

Post by ben g » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:17 pm

Tyreman wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:11 pm I can't believe how quick the delivery was.........mine arrived on Tuesday, I've ordered stuff from London and Leeds but the stuff from Germany arrived days before.

Maybe there is some sort of comment around how efficient certain businesses could be lol :headbang:
Ok, now i'm worried :lol: no delivery as yet.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

thecremeegg

Shocks Advice

Post by thecremeegg » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Mine arrived just now - the guy did come yesterday but I was out. Impressive service!!
Z4M - Interlagos Blue with Black Leather
Z4 3.0i - Sapphire Black with Red Leather - FOR SALE!

heavymetalthunder

Shocks Advice

Post by heavymetalthunder » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:40 pm

Well that's not good - my mechanic was able to fit the rear shocks, but the front ones don't fit! Apparently they are slightly too long - has anybody else experienced this?
E85 Z4 3.0i Roadster (manual) in Sterling Grey

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Shocks Advice

Post by ben g » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:52 pm

Mine were absolutely fine. Unsure how they can be too long. I've had mine fitted for over a week now and have no issues at all.

The only things that have changed are the ride height, which has increased (no doubt due to the new shocks actually working now) and the ride being much better now.

What are the part numbers for your front shocks? I will check them against mine to see if they're correct.

Edit: just checked your original post and they are the correct part numbers. I suggest you look for a better mechanic as my dad fitted mine in his garage and it only took a couple of hours.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Shocks Advice

Post by MACK » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:27 pm

heavymetalthunder wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:40 pm Well that's not good - my mechanic was able to fit the rear shocks, but the front ones don't fit! Apparently they are slightly too long - has anybody else experienced this?
As Ben has said above I'd take it to someone else. To be honest I didn't check it the B4 had a slightly longer rod/body than the m sport ones i took off that come as standard on a 3.0i. Im always too bemused by how shagged the old ones are even though there not leaking, no return in 3 out of 4 shocks and a little in the 4th. All the sach boge stuff I've take off various bmws of this vintage over the years have always been knackered. In fact the only one that I did remove with a leak in the past was on the rear of a 3 series, it just fell apart when I release the bottom bolt. The shock body just fell to the floor. Really I can't recommend changing the original shocks on any bmw of this vintage enough.

Getting back to the B4, It's listed as a replacement for the SE suspension not the m sport so may well have a slightly longer rod. However it is also listed as safe to lower to 40mm. Your only lowering 15mm over SE spec when using M Sport springs and even on eibachs your only at 30mm so well within its range of capabilities. All I can say is if you've got the right parts then they do fit and mines been absolutely fine on eibachs.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Tyreman

Shocks Advice

Post by Tyreman » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:36 pm

If you haven't got sufficient reserve travel are you sure that the bump stops are correct.......... :?

ionofchios

Shocks Advice

Post by ionofchios » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:37 pm

Too long in what way? The body of the shock is too long or the travel is too much for the spring? Hard to imagine that the travel on B4 could be so much that it would not compress a lowered spring - and others seem to be fine with lowered springs. Maybe the mechanic just didn’t want to install something that was not identical to what came off, and B4s won’t be if you have M Sport, I think.