Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coding for daytime running lights

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ionofchios

Post by ionofchios » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:04 am

Daytime running lights (DRLs) are a requirement. My e86 was built for Italy, so it does not have them enabled as standard. After some faffing around, I settled on the LSZ (lighting) ECU codings below.

TAGFAHRLICHT_ECE = aktiv (without this, if you turn off ignition with the main beams on, the daytime running lights will stay on, like parking lights, and the car will beep at you; if you want them off, you have to switch the light control to off position, which is annoying)

GED_FL_ALS_DRL = aktiv (halos as front DRLs)

FL_DRL_MIT_RL = aktiv (rear lights as DRLs)

DRL_DIMMUNG = wert_04 (how bright; option are wert_01 to wert_04, latter being brightest)

Also, tried to find a way to code KMB to enable digital speedo and show the actual, uncorrected speed, like I did on my e91, but looks like neither of these is possible on non-M Z4:(
Last edited by ionofchios on Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piotrZ4

Post by piotrZ4 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:51 am

ionofchios wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:04 am
Also, tried to find a way to code KMB to enable digital speedo and show the actual, uncorrected speed, like I did on my e91, but looks like neither of these is possible on non-M Z4:(
digital speed not possible on e85/6

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:57 pm

ionofchios wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:04 am Here in Finland, daytime running lights (DRLs) are a requirement. My e86 was built for Italy, so it does not have them enabled as standard. After some faffing around, I settled on the LSZ (lighting) ECU codings below.

TAGFAHRLICHT_ECE = aktiv (without this, if you turn off ignition with the main beams on, the daytime running lights will stay on, like parking lights, and the car will beep at you; if you want them off, you have to switch the light control to off position, which is annoying)

GED_FL_ALS_DRL = aktiv (halos as front DRLs)

FL_DRL_MIT_RL = aktiv (rear lights as DRLs)

DRL_DIMMUNG = wert_04 (how bright; option are wert_01 to wert_04, latter being brightest)

Good info :thumbsup: I shall print it and keep a copy for future reference.
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Rear lights needed in Norway?

GED_FL_ALS_DRL is dimmed main beam as DRL which I assume gives the Halos on Xenon.

TAGFAHRLICHT_ECE should enable AUTO headlights to remain on all the time, or disable the warning when the headlamps are left in the ON position. I think if they are left in the AUTO position that only the lights come on, rears and instrument lighting would still be subject to the sensor and only come on at night. If ON leaves everything on then it seems this is designed to just leave the lights in AUTO only.

It is also possible to have front sidelights as DRL, not sure the effect on Xenons.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

ionofchios

Post by ionofchios » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:40 pm Rear lights needed in Norway?

GED_FL_ALS_DRL is dimmed main beam as DRL which I assume gives the Halos on Xenon.

TAGFAHRLICHT_ECE should enable AUTO headlights to remain on all the time, or disable the warning when the headlamps are left in the ON position. I think if they are left in the AUTO position that only the lights come on, rears and instrument lighting would still be subject to the sensor and only come on at night. If ON leaves everything on then it seems this is designed to just leave the lights in AUTO only.

It is also possible to have front sidelights as DRL, not sure the effect on Xenons.
Interesting. Mine does not have auto lights, and the effect of TAGFAHRLICHT is as I described. With TAG... inactive, If I have light control in the on position and turn off ignition, it leaves DRLs on and beeps, but main beam is off. If TAGFAHRLICHT is activ, it turns all lights off when ignition is off.

Yes, I think GED... is main beam as DRLs, but as wiring is different for Xenons, it enables the halos.
Last edited by ionofchios on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:09 pm

Actually that sounds like correct behaviour of TAGFAHRLICHT_ECE.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

ionofchios

Post by ionofchios » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:17 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:09 pm Actually that sounds like correct behaviour of TAGFAHRLICHT_ECE.
Any idea what DAUERFAHRLICHT_EU does? Couldn’t work it out.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:26 pm

I think that's the sensor for auto headlights, I assume it's not active for your car?

ionofchios

Post by ionofchios » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:26 pm I think that's the sensor for auto headlights, I assume it's not active for your car?
Yes, not active, and seems to do nothing when enabled. Yes, sounds like something this do with sensor, based on Google Translate.

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:09 pm

you guys using ncs expert for this coding?
57 BMW 3.0si sport Coupe, Carbon Black, Bilstein B12 Suspension, CSL reps & style 339s for winter - Current
10 Skoda Fabia mk2 vRS, Rallye Green, Black Roof, Black Gigaro Alloys - Gone
08 Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic Sport, Red, Dual Sunroof - Gone

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:14 pm

I do, but should also be available on Carly. The codes above are for NCS, NCS dummy is also really useful.

ionofchios

Post by ionofchios » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:36 pm

adam1985 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:09 pm you guys using ncs expert for this coding?
Yep.

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:27 pm

or get an intravee for lighting sequencing

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

Limonge

Post by Limonge » Sun May 26, 2019 6:44 pm

ionofchios wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:50 pm
Interesting. Mine does not have auto lights, and the effect of TAGFAHRLICHT is as I described. With TAG... inactive, If I have light control in the on position and turn off ignition, it leaves DRLs on and beeps, but main beam is off. If TAGFAHRLICHT is activ, it turns all lights off when ignition is off.

Yes, I think GED... is main beam as DRLs, but as wiring is different for Xenons, it enables the halos.
Hello, I coded TAGFAHRLICHT_ECE on Aktiv, and when I have light control in the on position and switch off the engine, the lights are turned off, which is good. The problem is that when I do this, the car beeps once, does it do the same to you?

I'm sure it's because of this, as when I put the lights in the off position and take off the key, it does not beep, but it does it if I leave it in with the lights on...

Edit: it just happens to me if I have the door opened, if it's closed it does not beep. Does your car beep if the door's open?
Last edited by Limonge on Sun May 26, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ionofchios

Post by ionofchios » Sun May 26, 2019 7:06 pm

Limonge wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:44 pm
ionofchios wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Hello, I coded TAGFAHRLICHT_ECE on Aktiv, and when I have light control in the on position and switch off the engine, the lights are turned off, which is good. The problem is that when I do this, the car beeps once, does it do the same to you?

I'm sure it's because of this, as when I put the lights in the off position and take off the key, it does not beep, but it does it if I leave it in with the lights on...
It’s been a while since I mucked with this, but I guess mine works as I posted earlier - TAGFAH... has to be active, else it will beep.