Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

TRACK DAY ADVICE

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
jpvd

TRACK DAY ADVICE

Post by jpvd » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:53 pm

Hi....newbie after a little advice please.

I'm booked in for a track day in two weeks time at cadwell park...it's my first track day in my own car (done others in the past but not in mine!)....just need some advice

I am having my local garage check the car over prior and replace anything that needs doing (bushes, etc). My questions is should I swap out the stock brake pads for some race pads (ebc or similar) or just stick with stock?

I discussed this with my mechanic who used to race cars on the track and has a lot of experience in setting cars up for the track...he explained that the track days are not hardcore racing - you go out there to have some fun and you need to drive the car home after, so take it easy. He said we could swap them out but most race pads are terrible for normal road use, so it's a tricky choice. He recommended we swap out the brake fluid (also swapping out diff and gearbox fluid) and then see how i get on with the stock pads.

I also considered fitting some additional cooling ducts for the pads too, just to help reduce heat.....??

I fitted new pads and discs last year, so they are in perfect condition...

would appreciate some thoughts on this .....

thanks in advance

buzyg
Legend
Legend

TRACK DAY ADVICE

Post by buzyg » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:22 pm

Which Zed do you have? The ///M is pretty good out of the box, not sure on the others :driving:

Silverzedtom

TRACK DAY ADVICE

Post by Silverzedtom » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:36 pm

I’ve not yet been able to take mine on track but even on spirited drives the oem brakes fade pretty quickly. On track a lot of people say to come in after every few laps to let the brakes cool off.

I’d be checking tyres for wear, fluid levels (100% flush brake fluid ) changing oil if not replaced in the last 6 months and if it was I’d change it after the track day.

Don’t forget to take a pump and gauge - before you leave you will want to let your tyres cool and set the pressures for road use.

Also empty every single item out of the car before you head out onto the track. The last thing you want is that loose 2 pence piece flying around the cabin as you want 100% of your attention on the track and more importantly the other drivers.

Have fun and be sure to let us know how it went :driving:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

mr nurburgring

TRACK DAY ADVICE

Post by mr nurburgring » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:42 pm

The only thing I would do is dot 5.1 brake fluid and green stuff pads.
As long as you are not giving it 100% commitment you’ll be fine with everything else, providing it’s not already worn, ie bush/ball joints and shocks..

jpvd

TRACK DAY ADVICE

Post by jpvd » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi

Thanks for the info and feedback.

Its the 2.2 z...so lighter than 3.0 and less power

Might take a look at some ebc pads....has anyone gone to the track with stock pads?..

vester86

TRACK DAY ADVICE

Post by vester86 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:28 am

take slightly uprated pads (for both street & light track use) and fresh brake fluid and you will be fine. don't take the rest (suspension/tyres) too serious if only for 1 day, only check for fuel leaks very well!!

oh and have fun

bradz

TRACK DAY ADVICE

Post by bradz » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:36 am

Start with a good dot 4 fluid with a high boiling point, I'm a fan of ATE TYP200,

Pads - stock ones will work but for how long depends on how hard you drive, Try some fast road/ Track pads Ds2500, RS29's, Mintex F4/6R I have never had a good experience with anything EBC in the past.
Z4M Coupe, E92 M3, E46 M3 Track car :driving:

Havard

TRACK DAY ADVICE

Post by Havard » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:03 am

Cadwell is a great track but can be tricky, especially at Halls bends through the hairpin and then at Barn corner.

My 330 Ci has DS2500 pads and Gulf RF1000 fluid and that has taken a hammering at Cadwell and Oulton Park. There has been zero fade but I am running K sport 6 pots on the front.

Good luck and stay safe. Remember to reduce your tyre pressures down to about 29 Psi or maybe 31 on a cold day. In summer mine went from 33 Psi to 45 Psi after a few laps as I forgot to reduce them.

H.
ImageImage

jpvd

TRACK DAY ADVICE

Post by jpvd » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:22 am

Really appreciate all the replies...looking into a set of track day pads..nothing too hardcore and having the brake fluid swapped out...that should do for now

Can't wait to get on the track...going with a bunch of friends so should be a good laugh..!

jpvd

TRACK DAY ADVICE

Post by jpvd » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:14 pm

thanks again to everyone for your advice and feedback....

all booked in for new brake fluid and some ebc yellow pads...see how i get on with them....have a few friends running them and they seem happy, so worth a try...

the mintex and pagids are just too overkill for me....and too expensive for the occasional track day use...

will be filming the drive, so will upload it after....wish me luck!.... :driving: :driving: :driving:

peteslag

TRACK DAY ADVICE

Post by peteslag » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:41 pm

I've got performance EBC pads and decent fluid on a standard 2004 Z4 3.0, I've never had an issue.

To be honest, the best money I ever invested for track day preparation was my first lesson. On my first track day (a long time a go) when I had my Z3 3.0 I could only get about five laps before the brakes started to fade. I had a lesson and soon after I found that my lap times were coming down and my brakes were lasting much longer. If I were you I'd book a lesson for the morning session, you'll learn so much useful stuff and ultimately enjoy your day more. Track day driving and road driving are two very different beasts!

Have a great day by the way. I'm heading to Cadwell on the 14th May, I cant wait. It is one of my favourite UK circuits.

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

TRACK DAY ADVICE

Post by hopz121 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:12 pm

I would invest in a 3.0Si/330Ci front brake set up when you can OP with some decent pads and braided lines and better fluid, I wouldn't bother trying to upgrade the standard 2.2 set up as you'll be wasting your cash in the long run.

Id run it as is and see how you get on. I expect you'll get a few laps before things start to fade, then come in and cool down and try again. :)
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

jpvd

TRACK DAY ADVICE

Post by jpvd » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:05 pm

peteslag wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:41 pm I've got performance EBC pads and decent fluid on a standard 2004 Z4 3.0, I've never had an issue.

To be honest, the best money I ever invested for track day preparation was my first lesson. On my first track day (a long time a go) when I had my Z3 3.0 I could only get about five laps before the brakes started to fade. I had a lesson and soon after I found that my lap times were coming down and my brakes were lasting much longer. If I were you I'd book a lesson for the morning session, you'll learn so much useful stuff and ultimately enjoy your day more. Track day driving and road driving are two very different beasts!

Have a great day by the way. I'm heading to Cadwell on the 14th May, I cant wait. It is one of my favourite UK circuits.
Good to know!... I have considered a lesson, but not sure if they had any spots available - think they had sold out when i booked.

Swatting up before i go so feeling happy about it...have some fun and see how it goes...

More excited than a coke addict who has just seen snow for the first time...

jpvd

TRACK DAY ADVICE

Post by jpvd » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:07 pm

hopz121 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:12 pm I would invest in a 3.0Si/330Ci front brake set up when you can OP with some decent pads and braided lines and better fluid, I wouldn't bother trying to upgrade the standard 2.2 set up as you'll be wasting your cash in the long run.

Id run it as is and see how you get on. I expect you'll get a few laps before things start to fade, then come in and cool down and try again. :)
Get your point, but happy to just add the better pads for now and see how i get on...will look at considering upgrades later if the wife lets me!.. :rofl:

peteslag

TRACK DAY ADVICE

Post by peteslag » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:51 pm

jpvd wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:05 pm
peteslag wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:41 pm I've got performance EBC pads and decent fluid on a standard 2004 Z4 3.0, I've never had an issue.

Good to know!... I have considered a lesson, but not sure if they had any spots available - think they had sold out when i booked.

Swatting up before i go so feeling happy about it...have some fun and see how it goes...

More excited than a coke addict who has just seen snow for the first time...
I'm quite envious to be honest, I remember my first track day like it was yesterday. I spent the first half of the first lap bricking it, the rest of the day grinning ear to ear.