Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thoughts On This Please

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
raymond.harper

Thoughts On This Please

Post by raymond.harper » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:06 pm

Wear on the driver's bolster could cost a few hundred to fix.

paulgjohnston

Thoughts On This Please

Post by paulgjohnston » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:47 pm

Great to hear folks thoughts.

Davz

Thoughts On This Please

Post by Davz » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:13 pm

Paul, I would ignore the "advice" from those on here about what to buy and what not to buy and what "extras" your car should have. Everyone is different, I cant stand the black interiors, its like sitting in a coal mine, the red and black is not my cup 'o' tea, in the words of clarkson "like a mans washbag." Some say you must have the sports seats, me I can't abide them, you need to be a contortionist to get out of them in a parking space, I hate black wheels etc etc........each to their own, we are all, thankfully, different.

You've got to ask yourself some serious questions.....can you live without folding door mirrors, an antiquated oem satnav system, cupholders, reverse sensors, heated seats......the list goes on and on. Basically a load of stuff that can go wrong, which considering the age of these toys should be factored in to your finances. An Mx5 owner I know wouldn't even consider a Z4 due to electric roof and the cost to repair when it goes wrong, I must admit the simplicity of the Mx5 roof is a joy to behold.

If you say find two cars, one is 50k mileage, 1 or 2 owners, full Bmw service history or a 100k mileage with more owners, good service history and eureka! all the bells and whistles! which one do you go for? Go for the 100k, will you then have to replace suspension bushes, wheel bearings, arb's, roof motor etc etc

Do you pass on a really mint car just because you have to switch on the lights and wipers yourself or the stereo is a basic model? For what its worth, decide what you must have and find a really well looked after car and if its got bells and whistles that aren't essential to you then thats a plus, but be prepared for non essentials to go wrong.
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

paulgjohnston

Thoughts On This Please

Post by paulgjohnston » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:18 pm

Davz wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:13 pm Paul, I would ignore the "advice" from those on here about what to buy and what not to buy and what "extras" your car should have. Everyone is different, I cant stand the black interiors, its like sitting in a coal mine, the red and black is not my cup 'o' tea, in the words of clarkson "like a mans washbag." Some say you must have the sports seats, me I can't abide them, you need to be a contortionist to get out of them in a parking space, I hate black wheels etc etc........each to their own, we are all, thankfully, different.

You've got to ask yourself some serious questions.....can you live without folding door mirrors, an antiquated oem satnav system, cupholders, reverse sensors, heated seats......the list goes on and on. Basically a load of stuff that can go wrong, which considering the age of these toys should be factored in to your finances. An Mx5 owner I know wouldn't even consider a Z4 due to electric roof and the cost to repair when it goes wrong, I must admit the simplicity of the Mx5 roof is a joy to behold.

If you say find two cars, one is 50k mileage, 1 or 2 owners, full Bmw service history or a 100k mileage with more owners, good service history and eureka! all the bells and whistles! which one do you go for? Go for the 100k, will you then have to replace suspension bushes, wheel bearings, arb's, roof motor etc etc

Do you pass on a really mint car just because you have to switch on the lights and wipers yourself or the stereo is a basic model? For what its worth, decide what you must have and find a really well looked after car and if its got bells and whistles that aren't essential to you then thats a plus, but be prepared for non essentials to go wrong.
Many thanks Davz for the comments. I totally agree with the sentiment that we are all different and want/need/desire different things from our car. I bought a Z3 in haste last year and it cost a fortune to put it right and even then I wasn't happy! I respect peoples opinions and am delighted to receive any advice or thoughts on my new journey!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Thoughts On This Please

Post by Smartbear » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:00 pm

Davz wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:13 pm Paul, I would ignore the "advice" from those on here about what to buy and what not to buy and what "extras" your car should have. Everyone is different, I cant stand the black interiors, its like sitting in a coal mine, the red and black is not my cup 'o' tea, in the words of clarkson "like a mans washbag." Some say you must have the sports seats, me I can't abide them, you need to be a contortionist to get out of them in a parking space, I hate black wheels etc etc........each to their own, we are all, thankfully, different.

Hi, you should read up on the info on here before giving advice like this as there’s members on here who can fix roof problems for around £100 or so :roll:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Davz

Thoughts On This Please

Post by Davz » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:29 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:00 pm Hi, you should read up on the info on here before giving advice like this as there’s members on here who can fix roof problems for around £100
Not if the roof motor is completely corroded beyond use/repair and the hydraulics need replacing.......£100 will be no where near enough. Perhaps before giving advice like that you should research how the system works and the cost of the range of components which have a finite life. Take a look out how easy an Mx5 hood works, it can be put up or down in less than 2 secs with simple, low cost, replaceable components......a masterpiece of simple engineering design. Please also note that my post was not about roof motors, so why you picked on that is beyond me.
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Thoughts On This Please

Post by Smartbear » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:09 am

Davz wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:29 pm
Smartbear wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:00 pm Hi, you should read up on the info on here before giving advice like this as there’s members on here who can fix roof problems for around £100
Not if the roof motor is completely corroded beyond use/repair and the hydraulics need replacing.......£100 will be no where near enough. Perhaps before giving advice like that you should research how the system works and the cost of the range of components which have a finite life. Take a look out how easy an Mx5 hood works, it can be put up or down in less than 2 secs with simple, low cost, replaceable components......a masterpiece of simple engineering design. Please also note that my post was not about roof motors, so why you picked on that is beyond me.
You said “electric roof & the cost to repair if it goes wrong” that’s far and away most likely to be a drowned motor (if you’d bothered to research this yourself you would know this)
The vast majority of flooded motors can be rescued for minimal cost and the hydraulic lines rarely give trouble.
But what do I know? I’ve only been here a few years so I bow to your superior knowledge as a z4 owner :roll:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Davz

Thoughts On This Please

Post by Davz » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:15 am

Sorry Rob, I didn't realise that being a member of a forum meant that members were automatically awarded a degree in mechanical engineering.......I bow to your 4yrs membership of reading posts on this forum.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Thoughts On This Please

Post by Smartbear » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:19 am

Davz wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:15 am Sorry Rob, I didn't realise that being a member of a forum meant that members were automatically awarded a degree in mechanical engineering.......I bow to your 4yrs membership of reading posts on this forum.
It doesn’t mean a degree in mechanical engineering at all, but the forum teaches a lot about common problems and a lot about how to get on with others....
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Davz

Thoughts On This Please

Post by Davz » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:24 am

Smartbear wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:19 am and a lot about how to get on with others....
You need to do some more reading then

thanatu55

Thoughts On This Please

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:27 am

What I read here is "Paul, ignore everybody's advice, listen to my advice. Case closed."

Seems a little contradictory.

Just sayin'
Last edited by thanatu55 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Thoughts On This Please

Post by Smartbear » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:38 am

thanatu55 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:27 am
Smartbear wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:00 pm Paul, I would ignore the "advice" from those on here about what to buy and what not to buy and what "extras" your car should have. Everyone is different, I cant stand the black interiors, its like sitting in a coal mine, the red and black is not my cup 'o' tea, in the words of clarkson "like a mans washbag." Some say you must have the sports seats, me I can't abide them, you need to be a contortionist to get out of them in a parking space, I hate black wheels etc etc........each to their own, we are all, thankfully, different.

What I read here is "Paul, ignore everybody's advice, listen to my advice. Case closed."

Seems a little contradictory.

Just sayin'
That’s exactly the same as I read it, the guy who’s been a member on here for 5 minutes comes on here saying to ignore anyone else’s advice.
They must be giving out degrees in arrogance these days.
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Thoughts On This Please

Post by MACK » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:08 am

+1 the sentiments above. The irony and the arrogance. Robs been on here for years yet the newbie just assumed he doesnt have a clue about roof issues. Then there's the broad brush assumptions about 100k cars. Not even considering for a moment that plenty have had alot of work on the suspension and bushes by that mileage that actually puts them in better shape than some lower mileage cars. Anyone with any decent experience of these cars also knows multiple owners isn't necessarily a bad thing when it comes to the z4
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Thoughts On This Please

Post by mr wilks » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:21 am

The OP is actively seeking opinion & "advice" i assume in order to forumulate a decision as to which car would be the best for him :?
Many don't do that , buy the first car they like the look of then spend a lot of time + money adding sports seats , heated seats , cupholders , windbreak etc etc
Your opinion is of course part of that debate but to suggest a better car is one without those would contradict the desires of the majority of owners that have joined , stayed , left the forum .
The optional extras are also proving very reliable even in the 15yr old examples & its pretty rare to experience a fail with them other than well known & documented problems that affect every example regardless of engine size or spec ( control arms , bushes , wing mirrors falling out , misted fog lamps etc)
As for your Mx5 owning pal :wink: he could always look out for one of the earlier Zs that were available without electric roof :roll: or simply put aside £100 to have the motor checked over & relocated by one of the many forum contacts who offer that service .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

thanatu55

Thoughts On This Please

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:58 pm

The OP clearly wants to know that they are not overpaying and came here seeking advice. What I see in this thread is a broad range of opinions to help him base his judgement ranging from 'I like it' to 'I don't like it' and lots of advice on alternative options to measure his expectations against.

I haven't offered an opinion, but for the sake of adding my two penneth and being a 2.0 owner I would advise going for a bigger engine because of my own personal experience, but the OP may have already taken this into consideration in their search.

If anything Davz's advice is the most vague and confusing. How do you put a value on items that you may not essentially require, and then expect to pay a higher price for the privilege of not having them?

Also, Top Gear might have been a decent programme once upon a time, but I wouldn't go quoting Jeremy Clarkson's words as gospel and in all honestly he's certainly not the kind of figure I would aspire to be, but each to their own and all that.