Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thoughts On This Please

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
paulgjohnston

Thoughts On This Please

Post by paulgjohnston » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:36 pm

God. Didn't want to start a war on here.......

There's a nice one listed on Ebay that ticks my boxes, it's in Yorkshire and I'm in Scotland but I'm willing to travel down to look.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bmw-z4-2-5si ... 1438.l2649

Loads of previous owners receipts etc....

Just looking for sound advice from people in the know, I don't want to end up making the mistakes I did buying a 1.9 Z3 with a gubbed window..........

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Thoughts On This Please

Post by MACK » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:40 pm

paulgjohnston wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:36 pm God. Didn't want to start a war on here.......

There's a nice one listed on Ebay that ticks my boxes, it's in Yorkshire and I'm in Scotland but I'm willing to travel down to look.

Just looking for sound advice from people in the know, I don't want to end up making the mistakes I did buying a 1.9 Z3 with a gubbed window..........
Obviously it's hard to say based on an ad with low nunber of pics. A few of the concerns I'd have with that one are;
1) what does partial service history actually mean in this case?
2) the wear on the drivers seat bolster looks a bit excessive for a 50k car to me. Obviously there can be legitimate reasons for this but that bolster is noticable more worn than mine on 70k seats.
3) the wheel finish isn't to my taste but obviously this is personal choice and reversible for a few hundred.

I'm not saying rule it out, but I'd definetly want a bit more info on the first point before travelling, especially as your not exactly around the corner. It would be worth checking the mot history online at this point to see if it's failed on anything major and the mileage stacks up
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

paulgjohnston

Thoughts On This Please

Post by paulgjohnston » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:48 pm

MACK wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:40 pm
paulgjohnston wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:36 pm God. Didn't want to start a war on here.......

Obviously it's hard to say based on an ad with low nunber of pics. A few of the concerns I'd have with that one are;
2) the wear on the drivers seat bolster looks a bit excessive for a 50k car to me. Obviously there can be legitimate reasons for this but that bolster is noticable more worn than mine on 70k seats.
3) the wheel finish isn't to my taste but obviously this is personal choice and reversible for a few hundred.

I'm not saying rule it out, but I'd definetly want a bit more info on the first point before travelling, especially as your not exactly around the corner

I'm not saying rule it out, but I'd definetly want a bit more info on the first point before travelling, especially as your not exactly around the corner

It has stamped service book but not all BMW garages
mileage/MOT's agree.
Agree that wheels are a matter of taste.

many thanks for the input, appreciated.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Thoughts On This Please

Post by MACK » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:55 pm

paulgjohnston wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:48 pm

It has stamped service book but not all BMW garages
mileage/MOT's agree.
Agree that wheels are a matter of taste.

many thanks for the input, appreciated.
Oh so it's got a full service history, but not all main dealer. That be like 90%+ of bmws this age then. The ads doing the seller no favours but might be benifical to you. Its probably worth a look then.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

paulgjohnston

Thoughts On This Please

Post by paulgjohnston » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:03 pm

Yes. owner previous to this one had it 6 years and it was kept in a garage, comes with all receipts for work done. Seller stated that the hood is mint and has sent pictures. Body work apparently is in superb condition also.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Thoughts On This Please

Post by mr wilks » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:13 pm

Just looking for sound advice from people in the know, I don't want to end up making the mistakes I did buying a 1.9 Z3 with a :wink: gubbed window..........
Pointers & advice from here is all well & good but what someone sees as great others may not :? at some point you have to collate any knowledge & advice then make your own decision , nobody here can say 100% " mate , that is a once in a lifetime Z opportunity you should buy immediately without hesitation " :wink: ( though that did happen once when Lynchy bought a ZMR but unlikely ever to be repeated :P )
As for the ebay car you linked ? I have the same black sports seats in my 121k coupe ( electric not manual ) , i'l post a pic of the drivers seat when i get home if you like but i can tell you it looks nothing like the 50k ones pictured in the 2.5si roadster above :cry: it may well be a decent example but it doesn't shout " buy me " for some reason , , , others may see something different
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

paulgjohnston

Thoughts On This Please

Post by paulgjohnston » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:21 pm

Many thanks for the comment.

thanatu55

Thoughts On This Please

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:32 pm

paulgjohnston wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:36 pm There's a nice one listed on Ebay that ticks my boxes, it's in Yorkshire and I'm in Scotland but I'm willing to travel down to look.

For what it's worth I like that one much more than the first one. And saying it 'ticks all my boxes' is a much more passionate response than a hesitant 'what does everyone else think'. At the end of the day you've got to go with what feels like it ticks those boxes for you so whether or not that's the one, you seem to have a clearer idea of what it is you're looking for.

I used to have them wheels and it's an acquired taste but I think they look decent with that darker refurb.

I travelled from Manchester to London for mine and though I regret not getting a bigger engine I still love the car. What I would say is if you're making an exceptionally long trip like I did you're almost 99% coming home with a new car or a wasted journey and the seller knows that.

paulgjohnston

Thoughts On This Please

Post by paulgjohnston » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:38 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:32 pm
paulgjohnston wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:36 pm There's a nice one listed on Ebay that ticks my boxes, it's in Yorkshire and I'm in Scotland but I'm willing to travel down to look.

For what it's worth I like that one much more than the first one. And saying it 'ticks all my boxes' is a much more passionate response than a hesitant 'what does everyone else think'. At the end of the day you've got to go with what feels like it ticks those boxes for you so whether or not that's the one, you seem to have a clearer idea of what it is you're looking for.

I used to have them wheels and it's an acquired taste but I think they look decent with that darker refurb.

I travelled from Manchester to London for mine and though I regret not getting a bigger engine I still love the car. What I would say is if you're making an exceptionally long trip like I did you're almost 99% coming home with a new car or a wasted journey and the seller knows that.

Many thanks. It is very difficult when all you are dealing with is pictures and chat from the seller. It is a long way to go that's why I wanted peoples thoughts on it.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Thoughts On This Please

Post by MACK » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:00 pm

paulgjohnston wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:38 pm

Many thanks. It is very difficult when all you are dealing with is pictures and chat from the seller. It is a long way to go that's why I wanted peoples thoughts on it.
Taking the seat wear in isolation. If you do go to view it and feel everything else is right about the car but the seat wear is putting you off, it could literally be one of the previous owners was a bit rough on it getting in and out etc, rather than anything sinister. However about £100 recolonisation will have the pair looking as good as new.assuming the leather and foam are intact.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

paulgjohnston

Thoughts On This Please

Post by paulgjohnston » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:05 pm

MACK wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:00 pm
paulgjohnston wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:38 pm

Taking the seat wear in isolation. If you do go to view it and feel everything else is right about the car but the seat wear is putting you off, it could literally be one of the previous owners was a bit rough on it getting in and out etc, rather than anything sinister. However about £100 recolonisation will have the pair looking as good as new.assuming the leather and foam are intact.

I hadn't thought that the seats looked particularly bad to be honest. Your suggestion re the seats is one I had done on my Z3 (amongst other things) and they came out looking good. The fact that the mileage tallies with the MOT's is also a good thing. I don't think anything sinister has been going on but it's right to be cautious.

Many thanks for the comment.

raymond.harper

Thoughts On This Please

Post by raymond.harper » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:08 pm

DN06JUY is the registration. Mileage checks out with MOT history. Feedback is good from seller

paulgjohnston

Thoughts On This Please

Post by paulgjohnston » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:12 pm

raymond.harper wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:08 pm DN06JUY is the registration. Mileage checks out with MOT history. Feedback is good from seller
Thanks Raymond. Chatted to the seller at length on the phone and he seems like a nice guy. He spent a lot of time looking for a Z4 and this was bought in Newcastle from a real enthusiast.

thanatu55

Thoughts On This Please

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:41 pm

Sounds promising from what you've said and what it is you're after :thumbsup:

paulgjohnston

Thoughts On This Please

Post by paulgjohnston » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:11 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:41 pm Sounds promising from what you've said and what it is you're after :thumbsup:
Hopefully not a wasted trip...